2016 Log

Day 101

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 250kg, 260kg, 280kg@8 speed, [email protected] speed. Gripz for the last two. Both thumbs are plastered for broken skin (left) and popped blister under the callus (right). Ended up in my head about the 280 but should’ve been able to hook it as 260 was fine. The way 280 moved made be think 300 should fly up but it was just a steady 9.5, no sticking point but no whip either. Never had doubt about the weight.

Leaning abs; 10-50kg. I may start doubling up the ab work, I feel like there are just a lot of gains for having bigger abs and a stronger brace.

Can’t way to be healthy again.

New plates coming soon that will let me push beyond 300kg whilst still having the plates touch the floor.

Day 102

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 250kg, 260kg. [email protected] speed. Beltless until then double, then added belt and gripz. 270 would’ve been there but don’t think 280 was without the belt.

Leaning abs; 10-50kg.

Evening;

OHP; 3-60kg, EMOM 4x3-70kg, 8-70kg AMRAP. Actually had 10 in there but Soph kept making me laugh. Kids are the best :)

Day 103

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 250kg, 260kg, 280kg@9. 300kg wasn’t biting.

Seated DL; 2x3-280kg.

Leaning abs; 55kg-8.

Midday;

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 250kg, 260kg, 280kg@9. 300kg came up but whipped so hard that the plates pulled it back down. 2nd session because I’m stuck at home with another eye issue and 2x 25kgs came in. Practiced pulling the slack out a few more times then called it.

Afternoon;

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 250kg, 260kg, 280kg, [email protected] speed. Cheated into a minimal V stance for the 300kg. Just really wanted this today. Might rotate out the Seated DLs for something else, just to mix it up a bit.

Last edited:
Day 104;

DL, minimal V stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 280kg@9 speed. In and out today after yesterday’s volume. First time that I can remember making my lower back tires/fatigued in a LONG time (distinct from just stretching it out etc.).

SSB box DL stance; 3-60kg, E2MOM 5x3-100kf. A good start for this exercise. My weakness right now is leg drive, and these should assist significantly, and I suspect in relatively short order.

BB crunches - 10-60kg. These felt a lot less effective than I remember. Maybe I need an angled bench (specialty for abs or FID), but that ain’t happening. I suspect rollouts will cause the same triceps/tendon/shoulder stretch issue, so not really keen to go with them. They’re also shit on my knee most of the time. Maybe I’ll give them a shot anyway just to see.

I suspect rollouts will cause the same triceps/tendon/shoulder stretch issue, so not really keen to go with them. They’re also shit on my knee most of the time. Maybe I’ll give them a shot anyway just to see.

I think you'll find the stretch in your deltoids and rhomboids/traps will feel pretty good, Jester. I've had a very testy past with my shoulders - my right in particular. BB rollouts have yet to be a cause for strife.

Good luck!

I think you'll find the stretch in your deltoids and rhomboids/traps will feel pretty good, Jester. I've had a very testy past with my shoulders - my right in particular. BB rollouts have yet to be a cause for strife.

Good luck!

Something about stretching the triceps is aggravating the tendon/muscle that leads into shoulder (elbow unaffected).

Will give the wheel another rollout (pun glory) tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear about that, Jester! I wonder if that's your pec minor being pesky. That ridiculous stabilizer has been responsible for more upper arm/shoulder havoc than I care to think about. There are some decent vids on YouTube that show how to stretch it out and then manage it. Might be worth a look to see if that's the culprit. I can honestly say that it caused about a year and a half of pain and soreness for me before I addressed it.

I'm sorry to hear about that, Jester! I wonder if that's your pec minor being pesky. That ridiculous stabilizer has been responsible for more upper arm/shoulder havoc than I care to think about. There are some decent vids on YouTube that show how to stretch it out and then manage it. Might be worth a look to see if that's the culprit. I can honestly say that it caused about a year and a half of pain and soreness for me before I addressed it.

It is 100% something down the upper arm that inserts into the shoulder. I think the solution is moderate it until I take two weeks vacation in late March-April, when it will get near complete rest, and then hopefully re-configure. It was caused by doing the overhead holds for ab work - which is why I’m trying to find something suitable that doesn’t require that position to hold handles.

Honestly, likely going to be weighted crunches for a while.

Day 105

Deficit DL, minimal V stance; 1-210, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 280kg@10 speed. 280 took three attempts, the latter two with straps. Didn’t find my groove so just brute strength’d it up. Whilst I am my absolute strongest with open feet and therefore hips, I also tend to drop the hips into a squat - which I need to avoid. Will probably stick with || stance.

Going a little conjugate-y and will try rotating DL through block pulls, deficits and standard height. Half the days still from the floor; Def-floor-block-floor-def. etc.

If progress slows, then I’ll go back to all from the floor.

Once sleep gets better and this virus is gone, 305 is definitely there and maybe 310.

Actually, maybe I’ll just stick with from the floor. It has gotten me this far.

Day 106

DL, || stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg, 290kg @9 speed. 300 was there but I pushed too hard on Wednesday to justify that and I’m still sick as a dog right now. I think I can pump in a few extra sets here and there without the seated DLs, whilst I review progress without them.

Legs up crunches; 2x10. Sticking with these for a while. Shoulder approves.

Spinal rows; 15-110kg. Putting the weight on these up next week.

Still chasing that KK core as a natural (for now, probably take a gander at TRT in two years), and lots of crunches and spinal rows is probably the way forward.

Evening;

OHP; 4x3-60kg, 10-60kg strict AMRAP

High seat spinal rows; 12-110kg. Sitting from a height. These felt like nothing else. Wow.

Last edited:
Day 107

DL, || stance: 1-210kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg, 290kg, [email protected] speed. 305 was probably there. No difficulty breaking the bar, it was just a heavy weight. Really focused in on proper cuing and positioning. Smashed my knee up by pulling the bar too close in on 270. Pain in the arse.

Legs up crunches -15. Weighting there shortly.

Right thumb skin still has a while to go yet.

Day 108

DL, || stance; 1-210kg, 250kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. Tried to use more hip drive today, flatter back once pulling out the slack. Had limited time to work with. In my head I’m trying to emulate Tom Martin. Worked ok but I feel like it it sacrifices upper back dynamic for lower back static. Nowhere near enough attempts to say whether that’s a plus or negative. The bar starts slightly further in front when pulling this way. Slack came out of the bar just fine and there’s less of the pending-unconsciousness sensation when I brace. Anyway, we’ll see.

Crunches; 15-20kg. The weight didn’t really make a difference. The ROM is probably more important here, and maybe I can make bands add resistance somehow.

Day 109

DL, || stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg, [email protected] speed. Hook up to 270. Different form/technique/cuing except for 290 which I did much more rounded, and that rep was shit.

Double banded crunches; 1x20.

High seat spinal rows; 1x12-110kg. Felt fantastic again.

Evening;

DL, || stance; 1-210kg, 250kg, 270kg, 300kg@10 speed. Stupid but felt like anyway. Traditional technique and I like it more probably. Lots of back and pop off the floor. Needed it too.

Last edited:
Day 110

DL, || stance; 1-21pkg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. 2nd rep or 290 were likely both there, but no point doing anything silly after the double session yesterday.

Trap bar rows; 6x3 EMOM +90kg.

Puships; 2x10. It’s definitely a triceps issue and not pec.

Evening;

DL, flatback stance; 1-210kg, 250kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed.

Silly to do double sessions back to back days, but wanted to test out this stance and cbf’d waiting. Will possibly give it a run tomorrow; though there’s a lot more hamstring reliance which has mor recovery considerations than a back dominant pull.

High spinal rows; 15-110kg. Sillier to do these too, but I want that core to keep on keeping on. Weight to go up on Thursday. Recovery to take paramount focus for remainder of the week, and probably suspend the cut to bring in some extra calories until the weekend.

Crunches; 2x15

Last edited:
Day 111

DL, minimal V stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg@9, [email protected] spews. Cheater stance today, everything moved better than I had any right to think it would.

SSB wise stance; 3x4-100kg.

Double banded abs; 2x20.

Last edited:
Day 112

DL, minimal V stance; 1-210kg, 230kg. 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg,@9, 290kg @9.5-10 speed. The 280 made me feel like 300kg was probably there @10, so made the jump but my positioning was off and it didn’t budge too much. Just took the 5s off and settled for 290. It’ll be there on the weekend I suspect, maybe even 305. Form was really solid today. Going to attempt for a long nights sleep at 300kg tomorrow morning regardless. 290 has just about the new 280.

CC pulldown; 2x8-80kg. Jerry-rigged this so I’m actually seated on the floor. Tricep/tendon tolerated it which is promising.

Double banded crunches; 1x20.

High spinal rows; 1x12-120kg. Felt great but hard. A good weight jump.

Day 113

DL, minimal V stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 2-280kg@10 speed. Form was just a bit off today. Didn’t have a great groove or pop, other than my 260 rep. Decided to do the double in the moment. Would’ve made 290 otherwise. May do another session later and aim at 300kg. Weather this week and impacted my walks (40.9 degrees Celsius with 100km/h winds yesterday), so recovery could use some love. || stance may be better for recovery as glutes get very involved skein toes out.

SSB; 3-60kg, 5x3-100kg E2MOM. Trying to
Make these quads focused as much as I good.

Double banded crunches 1x20.

High spinal rows; 1x12-120kg.

Day 114

DL, V stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 290kg@10 speed. Slower and harder than it should have been. My fault for wasting energy and recovery towards higher volume on accessories. Am going to dial them way back for a bit, other than abs of course. I think taking our seated DLs was also the wrong move as far as progress is concerned. 310 is right around the corner if I can just get recovery on point, and this should have been easier.

Leg raises; 1x11. Doing these from dipping bars as my rack isn’t high enough and arms are too long. More in the tank once I get the balancing down pat.

Back