2016 Log

Rest day

Right hip is pissed off from something and one of the bands around it needs to snap back into place.

Daily walks
1 x20min

Last edited:
Volume lower

100.8 the seated deadlifts earlier this week definitely frustrated by lower back. I’ll drop them moving forward or change the form significantly. Not sure which. They also hammer recovery a bit much to be a Monday exercise.

Standing jumps; 1 x10-bw.
SSB squat; 1 x5-82.
Banded abs; 1 x15-bw.

DL, || stance, clustered technique singles; 10-70, 120. 5-170, 200. 15 x1-225. Took a bit longer than I meant to but starting to feel my high-hips form again. The slack pull-hip drop is just a bit too squattish if it doesn’t pop the hips back into place with momentum.

SSB squats, narrow stance, 3-4x10; 4 x10-112. Load and rep-per-set bump on last week. Good reps all around for the most part.

SSB GMs, 3x10; 3 x10–112. Definitely too light and time to separate the load from squat work.
Hanging leg raises; 3 x20-bw.
Supersetted.

Axle bar hypers, #6 50 deg, 3-5x10; 3 x10, 1x8-80. Trying to do these full ROM at the bottom and then full extension at the bottom. Normal grip and no versa’s. These produced an incredible pump feeling in the lumbar and S.I. region and will keep them in, probably both days but at a heavier load on Monday’s.

Standing banded abs; 4 x20-green band. Trying to narrow my stance and give the slightest pause/hold at the bottom.
Supersetted.

Bent over rows, versa’s; 1 x10-120. Token effort today but I’ll push it more moving forward.

Belt squats, wide; 1 x15-75. A starting point to get my hip abduction muscles some work, as everything I do is narrow stance and the niggles I’ve been having may be due to that workload imbalance over the past month or so. Felt good.
Supersetted.

The aim next week is to try and bring my DL stance in, allowing for more knee bend into the break and leveraging the narrower stance to maintain hip angle and height. Quads therefore driving higher loads hopefully.

Monday is definitely better suited to heavy work, definitely feeling the fatigue and performance impact from the higher volume this week.

I also need to be stricter and carve out the 15-20minutes of wasted time, but on the other hand, my conditioning is improving as I’m way less fucked than last week, post-session that is.

Daily walks
2 x30min

Hindu squats; 5 x30-bw. 10mins FML

Last edited:
Volume upper

100.6 pretty damn sore but enjoying high carb high protein and low fat. Allows for a lot of eating and food satisfaction.

Chin-ups; 5 x15-bw. Rest pause the final 4 reps.
3ct bench, index on rings; 5 x10-85. Rest pause the final 3 reps.
Banded abs, seated; 5 x20-green band.
Giant set.

WG neutral fat gripz pull-ups; 5 x10-bw. Re-gripping as necessary.
Oblique holds; 3 x15s per side - 70kg.
Sit-ups with plate behind head, full ROM; 3 x15-10kg.
Giant set.

Cut short here. Paced the first giant set this time and felt ok, could’ve pushed a bit faster on the second.

Midday mini-workout;
Hanging leg raises; 3 x15-bw+2.5kg ankle weight
WG neutral fat gripz pull-ups; 4 x10.
Supersetted.

Daily walks
1 x45min

End of day
Pushups; 3 x10-bw+25kg.

CG neutral pull-ups; 4 x10-bw. These felt easy and as though they may pull something into the correct position in my left shoulder. Quick 10mins to round off a massive upper back volume day.

Last edited:

GPP

Step ups for time, low box; 2 x10min.

Intended one more bout but cut short. Felt great on knees and hips. Trying this again with more food in the mix and hopefully won’t have to do them with a too early wake up and pay a sleep price.

Daily walks
2 x20min

Last edited:
Max lower

100.8 severe gut cramping overnight and this morning due to pushing some diet choices. Definitely impacting things.

CB squat; 1 x5-72.
Banded abs; 1 x15-green band.

DL, max effort singles, natural V stance; 10-70. 5-120, 170. 3 x1-200. 1-220, 230. 7 x1-240.

All very slow. Feeling the Saturday morning GPP and lack of sleep, so not going to bother with it. Gut playing havoc with everything. I intended on more work but had to pace things out a bit due to gut so just moved onto squats due to timing.

CB squat to max; 5-72. 1-122, 152, 162, 172. More in the tank from a muscular point of view but struggling to get tight with the gut issues and discomfort. The bar slipped a bit and maybe isn’t suited for ME work without hockey tape.

Back offs; 2 x1-162. Brought my stance in and it felt great. Much more explosive and more stable. Will keep it for next CB squat day.

Beltless KK deadlifts; 3 x3-200. These were going to be CB GMS or even RDLs but I just wanted to do some extra pulling that I could tolerate after the disappointing ME work.

Did a separate single at the end with hip stance and high slack pull, and this felt a lot better on everything. I wasn’t game for it with gut issues before but maybe I should’ve just stuck it out. Something for Thursday when I move to rep work.

Hanging leg raises; 2 x10-bw+5kg plate-ankle weight. Starting the reps per set conservatively. Felt good.
Supersetted.

Lesson learned on fibre and seed intake. Albeit the hard way.

Midday session;
DL, extreme V stance, leveraged slack pull practice; 9 x1-220.
Hanging leg raises; 1 x10-bw+5kg ankles plate.
Axle bar hypers, 50deg #6; 2 x10-80.
Split squats; 4 x10 per side - bw - 10mins.

Last edited:
Upper max

Weighted chins; 1 x10-bw. 5 x6-bw+30kg. A couple of the 6th reps weren’t all the way there but still stronger than the previous weeks of 5s, so I went for it. Add in the 6th set again next week.

Bench, index on rings; 1 x10-70. 3-100. 1 -120, 130, 132.5. About a inch short on ROM, lacking left shoulder confidence/strength. The 130 was legit with a good stretch reflex.

Back offs; 1 x5-110. Far from perfect reps but enough technique to count them as a starting place. Add more back offs next time, feeling fried.

Seated banded abs; 6 x20-green band.
Giant set.

Weighted neutral fat gripz pull-ups; 3 x8-bw+15kg. Resetting my grip as necessary.

Band pressdowns; 3x20-red band per side, holding them higher up for more tension.

Seated deadlifts, hyper extended position; 4 x5-170kg. Wow. Never tried them like this before and regretting that. Incredible sensation through erectors and full traps. Did the 4th set with a snatch grip and the pseudo ROM added something extra, will see if it works for me with my historic broken rib.

Sit-ups, plate behind head; 3 x10-bw+15kg. Might be time to start using a barbell.
Giant set.

Daily walks
1 x30min
Evening GPP; pull-ups; 4 x11-bw.

Last edited:
Lower volume

Hanging leg raises; 1 x15-bw.
SSB squats; 1 x5-82.

DL, leveraged slack pull, V stance, clustered speed sets; 10-70, 120. 8 x5-170. Moving back to a volume approach as the heavier technique singles combined with other lower volume work was destroying recovery and impacting ME day too much. I took it a bit too easy on the intervals. That will get fixed next week. Really valuable slack pull practice too.

SSB squats, aim for 3-4x8-10; 5-82. 3 x8-122. 4th set back in next week, then build back to 10 reps, add load after that. 10kg bump on last week.

SSB GMs; 3 x10-122. Trying the cue of ‘hips up and back’, which makes these feel both effective on glutes -hamstrings, but also even easier. I’ll take it.

Hanging leg raises; 3 x10-bw+5kg ankle plate.
Supersetted.

Belt squats, wide; 3 x15-75. Continuing to focus on the hips and glutes.

Bent over rows; 3 x10-120. I’ve become a bit lazy maintaining lumbar position on my DLs, and maybe generally, and these are intended to help restore that. Same goes for the hypers.
Supersetted.

SG axle bar hypers, versa’s, #5, 45 degrees; 3 x20-60. Feeling it in the lower back as I hold a rigid extension and hamstrings at the knee. Exactly what I want.

Daily walks
2 x30min

Last edited:
Volume upper

Chin-ups; 4 x15-bw. Struggling with endurance on the last few reps today. I may reinstate myo-reps for final vertical pull set within the session, to see if that assists and synergies with the loading on Tuesdays. On the other hand, I’m also fairly confident that it’s the upper arm that’s failing here, so attention over there might get it done. Made a few of them pull-ups sets to properly explore my fail point.

Really want to get to 5 x20 for these.

3ct bench, index on rings; 5 x10-85. No rest-pause, big improvement on last two sessions, weight going up next week.

Seated banded abs; 5 x25-green band.
Giant set.

WG neutral fat gripz pull-ups, reset grip if required; 3 x10.
Bench, natural tempo, feet-up, pinky on rings; 3 x10-80.
Sit-ups, full ROM, plate behind head; 3 x10-bw+15kg.
Giant set.

Neck extensions; 2 x30-25kg.
BB curls; 2 x15-30.
Overhead extensions; 2 x25-red band per hand.
Giant set.

Finisher;
Pull-ups, various grips, 10s clusters; 9x5. I’m spent now.

Daily walks
4 x30min

End of day
V-grip chins; 3 x15-bw.

Last edited:
Rest day

102.0 way too much salt and carbing yesterday, but I’ll probably pass most of it out over today. Time to tighten things up and stick to my usual activity levels.

2 x20min

Last edited:
Monday

Max lower

101.3 just about back to normal

Hanging leg raises; 1 x10-bw.

DL to max, V stance, leveraged slack pull; 10-70, 120. 5-170. 3 x1-200, 220. 1 -230, 240, 250. 240 had reasonable leveraging, the 250 was just an old-school force-build rep. Plenty of room to continue working on technique. I think I’ve been trying to do it flat backed without realising it, and holding myself down as a result.

RDLs, DL stance, 3x5; 3 x5-170. Felt good. More DL back offs instead might be preferable, not sure. The advantage here is bracing time (one breath held for the set) and time spent in the higher hip height position.

SSB squat to max; 5-82. 3-132. 1-152, 162. Another PR for this bar. Upper back let me feel it at the end of the rep but in a good way.

SSB box squats, 3x5; 3 x5-112. A reasonable way to get a different hip stimulus and practice squat bracing too. Not 100% sold as quad work but enjoy the different hip attention ala wide belt squats.

SG hypers, #5, 45deg, 2-4x15-20; 3 x15-60.
Hanging leg raises; 3 x10-bw+5kg ankles plate.
Supersetted.

SG bent over rows, 2-4x10; 1 x10-120. SG pendlays; 1
x10-100. These shouldn’t impact the vertical pulling tomorrow, but I can always pull them back out if they do. If I keep them, it will be as pendlays.

Weighted step ups, box only no mats, quad focus, 2-4x10; 2 x10-bw+20kg vest.
Supersetted.

Thoughts and notes;
Wasted too much time deadlifting again. I’ll tighten that up next week. Continuing to refine the slack pull and technique, which is definitely improving, slowly but surely.

Extra back off work rather than RDLs might just be better, hard to know without more data behind it.

Hypers today should be 10-12 and 15-20 for a Thursday session, most likely.

Box squats…eh, not useful enough and straight back offs may make more sense.

Pendlay set felt good. I might need to cut out the end of day vertical pulling on upper sessions though and spare my elbows.

Daily walks
2 x30min
1 x15min

Last edited:
Max upper

Weighted V pull-ups; 1 x10-bw. 2 x6-bw+30kg. 3 x4-bw+40kg. Biceps/elbows are feeling a bit beat up, change to pronation at the 45deg angle feels good. Went for a load jump half way through and was really happy with where my strength on vertical pulling is at. Hoping it translates into being able to hit 20reps on Friday’s soon.

Larsen bench, index on rings; 1 x10-70. 1 x3-100. 1-110, 120. Really solid max here. I don’t hold a pause really on max Larsen, for safety reasons, just a natural-tempo rep.
Back offs; 1 x7-100. Much easier than the previous wave. I am really encouraged by this. Feeling it nicely in the pecs as well.

Sit-ups, plate behind head; 4 x10-bw+15kg plate. —> Bench crunches, plate on chest; 1 x10-bw+5kg.
Giant set.

Weighted WG neutral pull-ups, fat gripz; 3 x9-bw+10kg.
Seated DL; 3 x5-170. Back to natural spine position. Moving the bar back under my hips to reduce lumbar stress but also closer mimic my pulling style. All mid-back, haven’t felt that since I was pulling everyday.
Band pressdowns; 3 x15-green band.
Giant set.

Lil miss woke up early so I was cut short. Heaps of time in this workout to spare though. Thinking of ways I can load the abs effectively and build the belt.

Daily walks
2 x30min

Midday mini workout
Banded pressdowns; 3 x30-red band per side
Medium grip upright rows, explosive; 3 x10-50.
Pull-ups; 4 x12-bw.

Last edited:
Volume lower

DL; 1 x10-70+green band. 1 x5-120+green band. 5 x5 -170+green band. One way or another, I’m going to force my explosiveness to return. Banded work on reverse hypers made me very strong and explosive on that movement last year. Curious to see if it holds true here.

I can definitely push the rest periods down here too. Paces myself today.

SSB squats, 3-4x8-10; 1 x5-82. 4 x8-122.

SSB GM, 3-4x10; 2 x10-127.5.
Hanging leg raises; 2 x20-bw. I’ve reverted back to higher reps on volume day to maintain my endurance for this and other abs work. Also gives me the varied loading stimulus across the week.
Supersetted.

Pendlays, natural hand width, gorilla grip, 2-4x10; 2 x10-100.
Wide belt squats, 2-4x15-20; 2 x20-75. Something on/in the right inner hip is on the verge of crackling/popping back into place when I do these. Just waiting for it to happen before I can progress a wide stance squat form with the bar on my back.

Axle bar hypers, #5, 50deg, 2-4x15-20; 3 x20-50. Shoulders don’t really enjoy the snatch grip on this device, so grabbed some grip gains instead. Making sure to maintain rigid lumbar and keep the work on hamstrings. Performed explosively/CAT style. Load bump to 55kg next week.

Fantastic workout, but I have 15minutes of tightening up to do.

Daily walks
2 x30min

Last edited:
Upper volume

V-pull-ups, versa’s; bw - 20, 16, 16, 16, 16. Stoked with this.
3ct bench, index on rings; 3 x10-87.5. 2 x8-87.5. Will build up the last two sets then bump, per usual.
Sit-ups, plate behind head; 4 x10-bw+15kg. These felt off. I’ll look to go back to bands on upper days or swap leg raises to here for sit-ups on lower perhaps.
Giant set.

WG neutral fat gripz pull-ups; 3 x10-bw.
Weighted pushups; 3 x10-bw+20kg vest.
Shrugs; 3 x15-170.
Giant set.

Upright rows, close-medium grip; 2 x10-70.
Neck extensions; 2 x30-25kg
WG neutral pull-ups, fat gripz; 2 x10-bw.
Band pressdowns; 2 x30-red band per side.
Giant set.

Next week the medium width bench grip and upright rows will replace pushups and shrugs for that giant set and arm work can come back in for third giant set.

Daily walks
1 x30min

End of day pull-ups volume
10 x10-bw 90sec apart

Last edited:
Max effort lower

102.1 slightly higher than where I’d prefer it to be but I’ll give it a few days to see if it’s good volume and salt or to cut down a few calories again. Lots of general tiredness today from very high NEAT yesterday.

DL max, V stance, leveraged slack pull; 10-70. 5-120, 170. 1-200, 220, 230, 240. Felt like absolute trash the whole way through and left it there. 240 better than 230 I guess.
Back offs; 8 x1-220. These felt a lot better, slack pull was on point. I’m wondering if zerchers wouldn’t be a useful accessory for positioning mimicry here and building the mid back.

Buffalo squat; 5-72. 3-122. 1 -152, 162. 162 was grindy AF but I thought maybe due to getting out of the groove. Took 172 halfway down then straight back up, it wasn’t happening today.

Bent over rows, heavy; 4 x5-150. Taken all the way down, with some explosive focus.
Buffalo pause squats, beltless; 4 x3-122. As I suspected, I’m weak AF. Low bar positioning for this bar might be better, accounting for the camber.
Supersetted.
I’m going to keep this in on Monday’s and add reps then load. Probably 6-8 range for each.

Hanging leg raises; 3 x10-bw+5kg ankles.
Step ups with vest, full ROM; 3 x10-bw+20kg vest.
Supersetted.

Thoughts;
I messed up a lot of things including not getting loosened up sufficiently. Still, made up for time in the back off singles and accessories portion and salvaged the day.

Daily walks

1 x30min
1 x45min
Hindu squats; 2 x30

Last edited:
Back