alternating exercises

faz

I was thinking of doing this next cycle..doing a different exercise every workout for the same bodypart something like this.
mon  incline db bench
wed  dips
fri  db flyes
mon  machine bench
wed  bb incline
fri  machine flyes
each exercise would be using the 15s,10s,5s,rep maxes and would only need one increment every two weeks which is why i am using maxes.
also i think i would be able to extend the 5s a bit longer.
i know everone is going to say that your working to faliure, but i am not,because i always stop one short of faliure on my maxes anyway, its only in my post 5s where i go to faliure.
what do you guys think.

Hi Faz,

Be interesting to see how that works out, I would rather use more increments but still increment less frequently and extend the cycle myself.

I wonder what your strength will be like without the gradual build up to each max...

I don't see why you wouldn't respond for 2 weeks using the same weight though which I'm guessing might be most people's objection to that routine.

I would use compund movements every session though rather than flies.

Cheers

Rob

ive been told on this forum that it is not particularly beneficial to change exercizes during a cycle probably because you can increment more efficiently and focus using the same exercizes,however i do change some of my exercizes after every full cycle in order to hit the muscle in a slightly different manner than it is accustomed to,and to perhaps gain strength in different areas.in my personal exp i found no growth benefits from constantly changing my exercises every session(which i used to do alot),but hey we're all different.

Hey faz,

I think the main problem here is that there is no progression during each 2-week block. It seems that you are taking the practice of alternating exercises to the extreme; a different exercise for each day. Sure, you progress as you move from the 15's to the 10's and so on, but what during each rep scheme? And granted, the RBE takes some time to set in, but this applies more to the heavier weights. Also, I doubt that a set of flies say on Friday can be that effective after a set of dips on Wednesday. There is simply too much difference in the weights you can use with each exercise. I believe you will end up increasing and lowering the weight constantly to accomodate the selected exercise for that day. It's like you will be zig-zagging during each 2-week block, if you may.

Another drawback I see is that you 'll be working very close to your maxes. As you have already mentioned, you will stay one rep short of failure, but the line between failure and one rep short of failure is somewhat thin. Doing this on a regular basis is bound to have an impact on the CNS, and I believe you will end up losing some strength during your cycle. I've experienced this myself when extending the 5's; I believe I'm staying one rep away from failure, but after a couple of workouts with my maxes I seem to lose some strength (I can't complete that 5th rep).

One last question; How exactly are you planning to implement alternating for the calves?
laugh.gif
Obviously you are going to focus on large bodyparts, but an effective exercise selection can be tricky.

Anyway, just my point of view. It seems to me that you want to try something different now (after a long time, maybe?), in which case it's difficult to advise against something. There are potential psychological benefits from a different type of routine (once in a while), just to break your everyday, em, routine.
tounge.gif
I know from experience that repeating the same thing over and over can be very tiring, from a psychological point of view. Besides, trying out a different routine now and then (rarely of course) won't make or break your long-term gains. So, it's up to you.

Best of luck,
Dimitris

cheers for the replys guys i was using flyes as an EG have not worked out a routine yet..could have flat db bb bench in there.its just an experiment, i have been thinking about keeping the muscles under tension more..last cycle i repped out on the submax weights.
so i thought i would try staying closer to my maxes and the only way to do this would be to alternate every workout.
9to5lifter
i here your point about progression through the 2wk cycle
i was thinking that if i started on the monday using say.. db incline..which would probably be the lightest weight i use then bb flat bench.. machine bench..dips the weight would increase that way.
calfs facing in forward out donkey machine dumbell :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i was thinking that if i started on the monday using say.. db incline..which would probably be the lightest weight i use then bb flat bench.. machine bench..dips the weight would increase that way.

I think that's a good idea. If you could organize the exercises in a way that allows load increases, that would be better. Just be careful when dealing with failure.

Regards,
Dimitris

Back