• Thread starter imported_dirtybirds808
  • Start date
I

imported_dirtybirds808

Has anyone done this??..............

20lb incriments for 15's
10lb incriments for 10's
5lb incriments for 5's

Im sticking to the recommended way but i wanted to know if anyone considered changing the incriments along with the reps. If anyone tried this or something similar let me know. Thanks.

um, what?

Why would you use the largest increments on the lowest weights? Not only will you end up with harshly light weights for the beginning of your cycle, you'll be incrementing rather insignificantly during the heavier portion, when conditioning is greater and larger increments are actually needed to stay ahead of the RBE curve.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoSox @ Mar. 25 2005,11:13)]um, what?
Why would you use the largest increments on the lowest weights?  Not only will you end up with harshly light weights for the beginning of your cycle, you'll be incrementing rather insignificantly during the heavier portion, when conditioning is greater and larger increments are actually needed to stay ahead of the RBE curve.
You are saying that the incriments should be higher when doing less reps? I dont believe that larger incriments are needed when doing your 5rm. I think you would benefit more by incrimenting less so you are around your 5rm. Doing the 15's are a warm up and getting your body and joints ready for heavier weight so it wouldnt matter if you were using light weight because you are using rather light weight anyways.

I believe that it is better just to stick to 5 lb increments for anything under 100 lbs, 10 lb increments for anything over 100 lbs, and if necessary, 2.5 lb increments for weights under 30 lbs.

It would be very difficult to set up a good block of 15s using 20 lb increments. Granted you will be probably doing mostly compounds on the 15s, but even then, some people can only squat 100 for their 15 RM. They would have to start out using only their bodyweight for the first workout if they were going to increment by 20 lbs at a time.

Remember, incrementing less, as you suggest during the 5s, would mean LESS progressive load. If anything, you want to progressively increment your weights more, since that aids hypertrophy more.

Let's not overthink this, what matters most is the difference between his start weight of the 15's and the end of his 5's or negs. Since, when working in the 5's range, the heavier weight can be used for several workouts in a row before they become ineffective, his assumption is a reasonable one. He is still progressively loading and advancing in weight over time. Also, as far as I am aware, there is not any scientific evidence supporting the least or most effective increment size.

Ultimately what it comes down to is try it and see, then come back and tell us all about it. :D What you liked about it or didn't, how you felt during the phases and where you able to withstand the larger increments during the lower weights, where the lighter weights effective in the heavier sets, but most importantly did you grow?

i will try it during my next cycle. I am about to start my first cycle and want to do it following the basic guidelines.

As far as the incriments, what i meant by "less" was the lb difference bewteen the incriments. example

5 reps
workout 1: 80x1 5 lb incriments
workout 2: 85x1
workout 3: 90x 1
workout 4: 95x 1
workout 5: 100x 1
workout 6: 105x1

-vs-

5 reps
workout 1: 55x1 10lb incriments
workout 2: 65x1
workout 3: 75x 1
workout 4:85x1
workout 5:951
workout 6: 105x1

I think the "less" incriments or 5 lb incriments would benefit you more. The first workout has you starting off with 85lbs for 5 reps vs. the second workout hasyou starting out with 55 for 5 reps. I think that starting off with the 85lbs and 5 lb increase every workout would benefit you more dont you think?

DB, what it comes down to is.

If 110 is your 5RM, then starting out with 55 Lbs is going to be a bit low and not worth it. You previous conditioning in the 10's would have you already conditioned far above this weight.

When I mentioned the greatest difference between your sub 15 and end of 5's was not taking into affect a zig zag overlap of that type of magnitude. You would spending too much using weights you have already become accustomed to.

dkm, i fully agree with you and i understand what you are saying. My last post was towards Totentanz because i think i didnt understand what i was saying. But i didnt explain myself correctly. Thanks for the help guys.

I think it's probably great if you can manage everything in such a nice neat linear fashion.

5 lb increments, 10 lb increments, etc.

What I find is it never worked for me. I make the increases as I'm able and most important I hit the reps without cheating or failure.

It's pretty easy to do, since I only do 2 sets of each exercise. The first set must be right on target for my rep requirement with the weight I select. I never think twice about dropsetting the 2nd set, but I get off the required reps both sets.

Back