HST vs tight schedule

mishik

Hi, people. Nice to meet ya all.
I could not find an answer to my question using search, so I raise it in this topic. I'm new to HST and would really like to give it a try, but the probelm is that I'm VERY busy, due to intense studies and work. This means that I can work out only twice a week (1 workout a day of course;)).
How do you think I should adjust my HST cycle accordingly?

<<<CLICK TO THIS POSTING>>>

Click on the Articles Tab at the top and take some time to really understand HST. You'll do it sooner or later, because if you do the HST you'll crave more knowlege about the training.

Straight answer to your question. Yes you can do it in two days a week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (domineaux @ Mar. 01 2005,1:15)]<<<CLICK TO THIS POSTING>>>
Click on the Articles Tab at the top and take some time to really understand HST. You'll do it sooner or later, because if you do the HST you'll crave more knowlege about the training.
Straight answer to your question. Yes you can do it in two days a week.
1.I don't see how the link you gave is connected to my question.
2. I did not ask whether I can or can't do it. I know I can. What I ask is how my cycle should/might be changed according to the fact I train only twice a week.
I don't know, may be it should be 5 workouts per rep number instead of 6 (trade the easiest workout for the extra resting time I get). Or any other change. Or may be it should not change?
If somebody having significant experience in HST could give an explained answer on this rare question, it would be great.
Thanks.

This is one of those cases where you really do need to do a full-body w/o- no split for you! Using that as a paradigm, I'd go with 1-2 sets in the 15s, 2 in the 10s, and 3 in the 5s. Add dropsets in the 5s if you have the time, or even substitute one of the thrtee sets in the 5s with drops. what six lifts were you planning to do? Unless they're all compounds, you'll want to do between 7 and 10 lifts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake @ Mar. 01 2005,9:12)]This is one of those cases where you really do need to do a full-body w/o- no split for you! Using that as a paradigm, I'd go with 1-2 sets in the 15s, 2 in the 10s, and 3 in the 5s. Add dropsets in the 5s if you have the time, or even substitute one of the thrtee sets in the 5s with drops. what six lifts were you planning to do? Unless they're all compounds, you'll want to do between 7 and 10 lifts.
Of course it will be 2 full body workouts. There is just not enough time for any kind of split.
One thing I really would like to get your opinion about is the number of workouts per n reps (n= 15,10,5). What HST suggests is 5 below-max workouts and one max workout. Training 3 times a week you get 2 weeks for each of 3 rep numbers, but in my case, if I stick to the original number of below-max workouts, I will have to spend 3 weeks instead of 2 on each number of reps, which means that the whole cycle will be 9 weeks instead of 6, which is kinda long ;)
So, what I think is, that due to my extra resting day, it might be logical to drop the lightest workout (the 1-st one) and so I will shorten every microcycle by half a week and the whole cycle will last 1.5 weeks less, that is 7.5 weeks instead of 9.
What do you people think about this?

I think I would drop down to 4 workouts per rep range. Keep the starting weight the same and increase the amount of the increments between workouts. You should keep the total weight differential fairly significant. Since your frequency will be 1/3 lower than the typical HST routine, I would increase volume by 1/3. For instance, instead of doing 2 chest exercises or sets, I would increase it to 3 chest exercises or sets. You may end up with workouts that are longer than normally recommended but it is only twice per week and you are young so that should not be a problem.

Good luck.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mishik @ Mar. 01 2005,7:49)]
1.I don't see how the link you gave is connected to my question.
Read the second post in the thread, and my add-ons. Plenty of ways to speed up your workouts!

Old and Grey - thank you for your advice. I'll definitely try it.
MicroBerto - I've already read through that thread, it's a good thread, but it doesn't contain the information I was looking for ;)
P.S.
Another newbie question, so I don't need to open another thread.
Why is classical deadlift not used in most HST routines and is not among the recommended exercises?
It is considered THE compound exercise, along with squats, so why is it so uncommon in HST?

I do them both (blDL and Squats) during my cycles with good results.but I do only one of them each workout..both would be too much for my lower back.

I think people do not perform blDL and Squats in one workout because the stress for the legs could be too high.
For me not really comprehensible as lower back is much more of a concearn and with SLDL you put much bigger Stress to your lower back than with BLDL

cheers

wow.gif
6-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hannesburk @ Mar. 01 2005,6
wow.gif
6)]I do them both (blDL and Squats) during my cycles with good results.but I do only one of them each workout..both would be too much for my lower back.
I think people do not perform blDL and Squats in one workout because the stress for the legs could be too high.
For me not really comprehensible as lower back is much more of a concearn and with SLDL you put much bigger Stress to your lower back than with BLDL
cheers
I must say that I agree with you.
How many times a week do you work out?

Mishik - most people do a deadlift of some sort. I'm terribly inflexible so I do bent legged deadlifts.

Regardless, definitely do some sort of deadlift if you can. I too consider them the best lift there is, and have lost terrible amounts of strength and size by missing them for a few months due to injury.

Back