Cutting and HST

OneMoreRep

hey guys i have recently decided i want to get really lean, before i bulk up hardcore again.

a few questions tho...

6 weeks obviously is not enough time to get cut in. what should i do about this??

During the SD it's probably not a good idea to diet hardcore and do cardio regularly.. i'll loose muscle right?

so what do i do? keep it at maintenance while on SD and drop cardio then start up again?... help me out :confused:

(also where is that thread where everyone posted their HST routine ?)

The way I'm going to do it this time around is to do 6 weeks of max weights (just to record my absolute RMs) around maintenance (lowish carbs), then one week of rest going mostly isocaloric, and then do 8-10 weeks of UD 2.0. I guess the first few weeks should lean me out a bit while I also get back into the habit of counting calories without being a diet-zombie, and then the UD 2.0 should get me in a really good shape just too late for summer
laugh.gif

If you insist on doing HST, remember that the cycle's supposed to be 8, not 6, weeks, and there is nothing saying you *have* to stop if your joints are still fine by the end of the 8 weeks. You could probably do 15s, 10s, back to 15s, 10s, maybe do a couple of weeks of 20s if you feel like it. Leaving out the 5s and negatives should spare your joints and the light week of 15s and 10s should let you recuperate enough.

At least that's my opinion ;)

But wouldn't going back to the lighter workloads leave no hypertrophy stimilus? I mean, you are well conditioned over those loads by the time of 8 weeks, so why would you go back?

I know with cutting you don't worry much about putting on any muscle, but would there be any stimulus with those weights anymore to keep muscle? Just my thoughts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OneMoreRep @ Aug. 09 2004,11:27)]hey guys i have recently decided i want to get really lean, before i bulk up hardcore again.
a few questions tho...
6 weeks obviously is not enough time to get cut in. what should i do about this??
During the SD it's probably not a good idea to diet hardcore and do cardio regularly.. i'll loose muscle right?
so what do i do? keep it at maintenance while on SD and drop cardio then start up again?... help me out :confused:
(also where is that thread where everyone posted their HST routine ?)
6 weeks not enough? Two questions for you, how cut are you trying to get (competition cut?) and how lean are you as it is?

In 6 weeks you can lose quite a bit of fat ... if you want to be 'summer cut' i would think 6 weeks would do a dang good job for it. But, as asked, i don't know how lean you allready are.

i am about 12-13 % bodyfat i reckon... aim is 5-8 % - when i can see all my abs... and the fat deposits at the hips and armpit area are near gone.

Btw i am just guessing by pinching my skin. i pinch my belly button and under and i get about 1/2- 3/4 of an inch. ( when standing ) i know MOST ppl under 10 % have abs . i can see the blocks but very VERY faintly. which is why i am guessing i'm around 12-13.. maybe a bit more but i doubt it.

I guess i shouldn't be talking from my own experience b/c i've never checked my bodyfat level. I don't know how. And i just go by the way i look rather than by TOO many numbers. Only place i really get technical is with diet plans and HST training weights. =)

mainly want an crazy abs cuz the girls love em.. never had abs cept for like...7 yrs ago when i didn't lift. i wanna see how they respond :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lance @ Aug. 10 2004,6:45)]But wouldn't going back to the lighter workloads leave no hypertrophy stimilus? I mean, you are well conditioned over those loads by the time of 8 weeks, so why would you go back?
I know with cutting you don't worry much about putting on any muscle, but would there be any stimulus with those weights anymore to keep muscle? Just my thoughts.
He wants cutting, not muscle gain. Getting enough stimulus to burn extra cals while not losing (too much) muscle should, imo, suffice.

i've been wondering if there are optimal times to cut calories during an hst cycle. like if you zig zag if you should eat maintenance calories on the weeks you are zig zagging and cut calories on the weeks that the hypertrophic stimulus is highest. i also wonder if you should cut calories at all during the 15's since the load is so light that the signal to your body to hang on to muscle won't be as strong. any comments?

I just keep it simple. I don't do any crazy zig zagging or anything. I just take my bodyweight x 10 for calories. Then, as Eating for Size, 1g/lb of protein, 25% of calories from fats (try to get good fats), rest carbs.

I'm currently running a 2000 calorie diet. 200g protein, 55g fats, 175g carbs. I believe that's the macro breakdown.

What i like about Bryan's high carb ways is the fact that i still stay full while cutting. I used to use a high protein and fat with smaller amount of carbs. Not low-carb or anything, i just didn't eat alot though, lol. And i definately feel much bigger with Bryan's way while still cutting.

I'm in my last week of 5's and I have lost 4% BF. I tried to stay around 750 calories below maintenance. Went from 14 % to 10%. If you can already see your abs, you are well below 10% probably 8 or lower. Just remember the difference in 8% and 6% is not a lot, on a 200 pounder your talking 4 lbs. You could probably lose that while gaining Lean Muscle MAss staying around maintenance. Man, I'm at ten and would love to be able to see my abs, this last 2-4 % gonna be hell.

lance - where's that bryan's way of cutting with high carb? i feel like death lowering my carbs
crazy.gif
gotta find that link..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ May 24 2005,11:12)]lance - where's that bryan's way of cutting with high carb? i feel like death lowering my carbs
crazy.gif
gotta find that link..
It's in the FAQ about diet and nutrition. It's basically the same thing as the eating for size article, only calories or lowered to lose weight instead of highered to gain weight.

Bryan's formula for cutting is very simple.

Eat above maintenance for a week or so, then start adding in cardio while still above maintenance. Drop back to maintenance while increasing cardio. Drop below maintenance (through slight carb reduction) while maintaining increased cardio.

The cardio regime is steady state longer duration.

Back