I'm back and I have a question

ChuckGrill

Hi everyone. After much time away I've returned to HST. I've tried other routines but every time I tried to tailor them to my needs they always seemed to resemble HST. So here I am.

Anyway, just one question. My time is limited between work and home to lunchtime at the gym. Generally gives me about 40-45 minutes to work out. But I also need cardio as well. Getting both during the day separately just isn't possible until next September when my youngest goes to school full time (first grade). So i was wondering if a HST routine can be done with supersets (i.e. chest/back, biceps/triceps, etc.). This will enable me to move quicker and get some more cardio added in besides the 2 other days during the week. Weekends are kind of out as well for now. I'm really looking for muscle definition or shape anyway for now. I'm on medication that unfortunately slowed down my metabolism so i need as much cardio and clean eating as possible. Plus at 44 I'm sure I do not have the same testosterone level as I used to.

Thanks for your help and I'm happy to be back.

Welcome back ChuckGrill. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So i was wondering if a HST routine can be done with supersets (i.e. chest/back, biceps/triceps, etc.).
Sure, no problem there. The Bryan himself has mentioned in another thread that he almost always supersets in order to save time. What's more, a great deal of people here train that way. So go ahead and try it.

Regards,
Dimitris

Ok, thanks 9to5! I never knew that people had gone to this so that's great to hear.
And thanks for the welcome back! :)

Btw, does anyone do any other reps scheme besides 15, 10, 5? The 5's used to hurt.

As I mentioned in another post, I would advise not to to your cardio immediately after your workout since your body will be in a catabolic state. If its 10-15 minutes of cardio you may be looking for, do it before your workout. This will also aid in warming up your muscles. And of course, supersetting is no problem.

Also, welcome back man!

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Btw, does anyone do any other reps scheme besides 15, 10, 5? The 5's used to hurt.

The high load that is used in the 5's is so beneficial to hypertrophy that you shouldn't skip a phase like this. Other people do different rep schemes. People also cluster their cycles. The 15,10,5,negs cycle was made as the standard HST rep scheme. The 15's will ultimately be good for your joints and help lactic acid enter the muscles. The 10's are a tweener phase from the 15's to the 5's. 5's and post5's or negs is where you will find most of your growth, but I'm sure you know this.

-Colby

Welcome back Chuck

Been a while, hey?

If you superset you could get done real fast, with teh added benefit of HST, nothing but a winner!

I suggest you use compounds only till the 5's then add in curls and tricep work.

Let us know what you wanting to do, 3 x week std HST, maybe a little added extra work once the heavies get to you or you to them
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would advise not to to your cardio immediately after your workout since your body will be in a catabolic state.
I think i may have worded that wrong. What i meant was that the supersetting would kind of be the cardio for that day. I really have no time for cardio after my workout.
I mostly want to tighten up and get more muscle shape. I'm at 5'9" tall and 214lbs with about 16-17% bodyfat. So I'd love to get my BF down somewhat maybe to 13%. I'm not looking for severe cut. But, like i said, the anxiety med I'm on slowed down my metabolism so it makes it difficult to lose weight. So if i remain the weight I'm at with a somewhat lower BF I'll be quite happy. I really feel I can do it but it's going to take some time. I'd love for it to be around there come the summer for obvious reasons ;) .
Anyway, thank you all for your responses and I'm very happy to have returned! :)

Oh yeah, did my max 15's on Monday, and my max 10's today, Friday is 5's and then onto my strategic deconditioning for 9 days. I can't wait to really start this up again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But, like i said, the anxiety med I'm on slowed down my metabolism so it makes it difficult to lose weight.

Just a thought, the program should help you quite well with the anxiety, so if it does willyou end up discarding the med?

Hate to see people going on these meds for too long! I work for a pharmaceutical Company so...I know about the side effects
sad.gif

Believe those buggers, can wrek havoc with your metabolism, so if you can conquer the anxiety, tell the good doctor you wanna quit
happy.gif

On another note, no reason why you can't get below 13%, it really depends on how much you're eating and the rpogram you're on!

Cheers mate

To add to Fausto.

I got on anxiety med my last year of college, for test anxiety. I should of never been on it but I tried it thinking what the heck. The good news is I didn't really need it to begin with, but it works, wonders also. I joke about how if you are on it you have no worries, You could of told me an asteroid was on the way to destroy earth and I would of not go nervous! It works too good!!!

I cant tell you I have always been around 188 to 190 at 12% bodyfat and I have always ate clean 5 days a week and workout religously and when I got on the med I gained over 30 pounds. The doctors will tell you the meds do not slow your metabolism..but that is not true. Ask a pharamacist like I did b/c they know more about the drug and they will tell you it slows down your CNS which slows your metabollism.

Given everyone is different, I will say from my past expierence it will be tough if not dang near impossible to loss weight when you are on the meds.

However afte the first year of being off the meds. I lost all 30 + pounds and got down to 8% bf. So if you were to drop them you would lean down I am sure starting your 1st or 2nd month off of the meds.

Just wanted to shed some insight b/c I too have been on them before.

My 2 cents...good luck.

Joe :D

Thanks guys, but unfortuately I will probably be on these for quite awhile until other factors end. My own thoughts are that this all began due to sleep deprivation and every time i try to go off the meds something weird happens and then the fun anxiety sets in. Not really much fun and almost ruined my marriage.

Anyway, I was able to drop 30 lbs this past spring with a circuit training routine which also brought my BF down from 22% to 16%. so i was happy about that. But, like i said, if I'm able to drop my BR down to 13% by the summer, even if that means staying at my current weight I'd love it. Because that'll mean I gained more muscle mass. I'm almsot done finding out my maxes (only 5 rep to go) and then I'll take a week off and start up just after Christmas. i'm curious as to how I'll do this go around.

Cut down recovery time between sets and exercises.  You'll get off some great workouts, they'll be cardio too.

My next cycle I'm thinking of going to 6xweek/2day split with upper body MWF - Lower body TTS, one set of each exerciseand 20-30 minutes of "fatburn" walking on the treadmill immediately following workouts.

I'm thinking, If I get off good workouts, the fatburn should kick in almost immediately during the aerobics.

I should be in/out of the gym in 1 hour max.

thumbs-up.gif

Back