Chinese Water Torture

Bob Evans

Chinese Water Torture
I guess I had an epiphany of sorts when I realized (when someone told me) that you could do HST everyday (even though I have read this stuff over and over I guess I missed that part).  I guess what I am talking about here is frequency.  I now see a pattern.  Since theoretically we can work out am/pm 6 days a week.  And Am/pm is better than just 3 days a week.  Many small workouts are better than a few killer 3 hour sessions.  And if you think of it this is what clustering is on a micro scale… many small sets are (often ) better than doing I full ten reps (not true for burn sets though).  Then I was chatting with an HSTer in London and he pointed out it is the same for eating 6 meals a day are better than 3.   As I said I see a pattern here.  It is almost a “drip”  approach – multiple small bouts done frequently is better for growth than infrequent big bangs.  Whether one is referring to a work out session, a work set , or a meal.  I can see now this is how we are creating an “environment for growth” as big Bryan calls it.   This all flys in the face of the old macho lift till you puke methods.  Sure we can get a dam hard workout – but it is more about the additive effect of many smaller workouts.  It is almost Zen or philosophical.  “Many pebbles build a big wall –grasshopper”  ok end or musing....drip...drip....drip
Rob-san
worship.gif

Good thoughts, but I can't see how many smaller meals is any better than fewer larger ones. Calories are what matter, and after that protein. Maybe if you ate twice a day with whey protein as your only source there'd be a problem, but I think a better rule to follow would be to do things in moderation. I get by with three to four meals a day just fine.

Also, when trying to bulk, training twelve times a week would probably halt any and all growth. The caloric requirements would skyrocket. Aside from that, I'm sure the extra mass added from breaking the volume into twelve workouts as opposed to six or even three would be nominal, at best.

I have had the same thinking as Bob Evans since I started HST... and in terms of eating... eating 6 small meals a day versus the 3 big meals is the way to go. In effect, your metabolism will be boosted since your body won't be thrown into starvation as you will be eating more frequently. I can't get into it scientifically, I don't have my bio141 physiology notes next to me, but that's the basis of it.

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Sep. 22 2005,9:05)]Many small workouts are better than a few killer 3 hour sessions.
"I have no fear of fainting in the gym."
Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Pumping Iron"

Although Arnold also worked out more or less every day.

Regards
/ R

been there, done that, got that T shirt. I find better results come from the HST "drip" method. Sure if you are on a steady diet of AS things are different... you can push it harder without running into an overtraining issue.

Colby

It is pretty simple, you reduce the yo-yo effect of insulin trying to equalize blood sugar each time there is a meal, if you keep 6 meals, the graph would look much more smoothed out if you know what I mean.

Eating more infrequently will cause the dips in the graph to look more pronounced (Dan - help me out here :confused:
blush.gif
)
which would lead to you feeling alittle more tired when the blood sugar is lowered.

There is almost a overkill from the insulin trying to get glucose out of your blood into your cells, but not so if the feed (us scientists - make it sound like we're talking about animals with feed and all that
laugh.gif
) is kept constant .

I am doing OK with 3 x p/week training and 5 to 6 meals p/day, but yeah I envy
sneaky2.gif
crazy.gif
the guys who can afford 6x p/ week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Sep. 23 2005,8:46)]It is pretty simple, you reduce the yo-yo effect of insulin trying to equalize blood sugar each time there is a meal, if you keep 6 meals, the graph would look much more smoothed out if you know what I mean.
So does that mean there is a connection between insulin regulation and metabolism? I was always under the impression that increased frequency of "feeds" (haha) that would therefore be lower in volume would boost your metabolism.

-Colby

Eating smaller, more frequent meals does not boost metabolism, according to Aaron. I know that it's "common knowledge" to say it does, but even if that were true, it's not going to be by much.

The blood sugar stability could be a reason, but honestly, I'd stick with 3-4 meals per day, and only add more if you notice you feel lethargic throughout the day. It's a subjective matter, really.

Maybe I should have said "feeds" rather than "meals"... 3 meals a day plus a before and after protien shake and some cottage cheese before bed ----> bam-o you have 6 "feeds" a day.

But the bigger idea I think is the "drip" approach. Many smaller training sessions, work sets, feeds are better than big "round ones to the wall" sessions.

To me that is a important idea.

Bob :)

If I could eat 3500 calories in one sitting I would, and I would probably be the same size I am right now.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Sep. 23 2005,7:48)]been there, done that, got that T shirt.  I find better results come from the HST "drip" method.  Sure if you are on a steady diet of AS  things are different... you can push it harder without running into an overtraining issue.
I agree, of course. The Arnold quote just came to mind...

/R

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Sep. 25 2005,12:18)]If I could eat 3500 calories in one sitting I would, and I would probably be the same size I am right now.....
I do not think so

you would be tired,feeling bad and would not be able to work out as properly as you should

cheers

"Feeling bad"? Hahaha, okay buddy. Make some sense out of things, would you?

He could get through his workout fine if he timed his meal correctly, plus had some pre- and post-workout nutrition.

Why would he be tired? I'm tired when I don't sleep, not when I don't eat. Plus, if the meal was full of slow-digesting proteins and complex carbs (along with some fiber and fats) it would sustain him for quite some time.

He'd be the same size he is now, because what matters is caloric intake. Nothing more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Evans @ Sep. 22 2005,9:05)]Chinese Water Torture
I guess I had an epiphany of sorts when I realized (when someone told me) that you could do HST everyday (even though I have read this stuff over and over I guess I missed that part).  I guess what I am talking about here is frequency.  I now see a pattern.  Since theoretically we can work out am/pm 6 days a week.  And Am/pm is better than just 3 days a week.  Many small workouts are better than a few killer 3 hour sessions.  And if you think of it this is what clustering is on a micro scale… many small sets are (often ) better than doing I full ten reps (not true for burn sets though).  Then I was chatting with an HSTer in London and he pointed out it is the same for eating 6 meals a day are better than 3.   As I said I see a pattern here.  It is almost a “drip”  approach – multiple small bouts done frequently is better for growth than infrequent big bangs.  Whether one is referring to a work out session, a work set , or a meal.  I can see now this is how we are creating an “environment for growth” as big Bryan calls it.   This all flys in the face of the old macho lift till you puke methods.  Sure we can get a dam hard workout – but it is more about the additive effect of many smaller workouts.  It is almost Zen or philosophical.  “Many pebbles build a big wall –grasshopper”  ok end or musing....drip...drip....drip
Rob-san
worship.gif
Ya totally agree on cluster use; once my 5's are finished I go into clusters for the next 2 weeks mixed with drops. My experience has been full body AM/PM 3x week being the optimal for me; if you can do 6 days go for it and tread lightly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colby2152 @ Sep. 24 2005,7:12)]So does that mean there is a connection between insulin regulation and metabolism?  I was always under the impression that increased frequency of "feeds" (haha) that would therefore be lower in volume would boost your metabolism.
-Colby
Increased meal frequency does a few things, but increasing 'metabolism' is not one of them.

It can maintain lower insulin levels (because it basically turns every meal into a lower glycemic meal - second meal effect), influece lipoprotein levels (potentially due to the second meal effect) and can also help with hunger control in some people, but nowhere near all. The hunger thing appears more short term when people switch from lower to higher number of meals, influences part of the physiological or psychological mechanisms within appetite. As people adapt, they start to predict when the next meal should be, or get hungier sooner than previously.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Sep. 25 2005,6:18)]If I could eat 3500 calories in one sitting I would, and I would probably be the same size I am right now.....
The IF is the best point :D cos getting 3500kcals with adequate nutrition in one meal would be a phenominal achievment

I would usually draw the line at 3 meals being the lower limit becuase of the meal sizing, and fitting into the normal social construct

Back