2nd HST Cycle

Joe G

The rep blocks will go like this (12-8-5-negatives)
Frequency= Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Incline Bench Press 2x
Squat(A) 2x
Deadlift(B) 2x
Lat Pulldown (Handle) 2x
Upright Rows 2x
Barbell Shrugs 2x
Tricep Pushdown 2x
Incline Curls 2x
Leg Extension (B) 1x
Leg Curl (A) 1x
Calf Raise 2x

I've been on doing Single Factor for 6 weeks now. I'm excited to start HST up again in a few weeks. This is what I have come up with.

Joe G

I think you need more backwork. Bentover rows would be a nice addition. Other than that, it looks good. You'll have to let us know how it goes, I'm about to start my first HST cycle after a strength cycle, and I'm excited to see how the new strength gains help out with HST.

Tot is right, put is some extra back work, heavy rows, your choice
tounge.gif

Why do you use uprights and shrugs?

Are th euprights targetting more shoulder or more traps, higher up or lower down?

If I were you, I'd either do french curls or skull crushes to alter nate with teh pushdowns, even though we all like them they are not the best of tricep builders (less stretch).

That is it! Rest looks rather cool :)

Speaking from my own perspective, I would not be able to do decent b/o rows while doing deadlifts.

In my current routine I do b/o rows in the lighter part (15's, 12's, 10's) and drop that exercise in favor of deadlifts when hitting the heavier stuff (8's and on into neg's). So - if I were you (which I'm not  :) ), I'd keep the routine as it is. But, of course, if you feel that you can handle the increased volume (I say increased since Totentanz said "more backwork"). If you still would like to incorporate b/o rows you could of course cut down on the deadlift sets - but not drop the exercise - to keep the volume constant.

But I think your original setup looks good, for what it's worth.

Regards,
/ R

I agree with Totentanz and Fausto, try adding some kind of rows for your back. I would also recommend weighted dips, in addition to incline bench. If you feel this is too much for one workout, maybe you can alternate in this fashion;
lat pulldown (A), rows (B)
incline bench (A), dips (B).

Regards,
Dimitris

Do you BB rows before your deadlifts and you'll be fine I think. I saw your SF numbers, it shouldn't be a problem.

This is how I'd restructure the workout:

Incline Bench Press 2x
**BB Rows 2x**
Squat(A) 2x
Deadlift(B) 2x
Lat Pulldown (Handle) 2x
Upright Rows 2x
Barbell Shrugs 2x
Tricep Pushdown 2x
Incline Curls 2x
Leg Extension (B) 1x
Leg Curl (A) 1x
Calf Raise 2x

Looks like a balls-to-the-wall session once you incorporate dropsets (I assume ?) . . . loving it
tounge.gif

Thanks for the responses guys:

Fausto,

The uprights will be lower to target the shoulders (I need a break from shoulder presses, been doing them for 16 weeks now)
And for some reason the skull crushers always beat up my elbows too much so I like to stay away from them. I'm curious as to why skull crushers have more stretch. Isn't it sort of the same movement as tricep pushdown?

Totentanz,

I suppose I could use more back exercises. I was thinking along the same lines as Rain that I wont be able to do the bent overs while doin deads. Maybe I'll try it out the first week and see if my lower back is killing me or not. (I've also been doing bent over barbell rows for 16 weeks and I'm getting sick of them too. Maybe I'll try the T-Bar row which I probably do before the Deads which Jester suggested)

9to5,

You suggested adding in dips. The reason I love HST so much is because I get to Bench 3 times a week :) . I was thinking, do you think it would be a good idea to replace the tricep pushdown with weighted dips? If I did this I would only do one set so I dont burn out.

Joe G

So after the suggestions:

Incline Bench Press 2x
T-Bar Rows 2x
Squat(A) 2x
Deadlift(B) 2x
Lat Pulldown (Handle) 2x
Upright Rows 2x
Barbell Shrugs 2x
Dips 1x
Incline Curls 2x
Leg Extension (B) 1x
Leg Curl (A) 1x
Calf Raise 2x

dang that does seem like a brutal workout
crazy.gif
(Jester I'm glad someone is loving it
tounge.gif
)

Joe G

if he is doing deadlifts and lat pulldowns..i would say that was enough for back..i would drop the shrugs and leg exts..quads get worked with squats
and traps get worked with deads and uprights :D

Maybe I'll try the T-Bar row which I probably do before the Deads which Jester suggested

Yeah, Joe, that's exactly what I was thinking. Less wear and tear on your lower back. You might also try dumbbell rows instead of barbell; also relatively safe for the lower back, different enough to keep things interesting, and extremely productive in general. Plus, you can get a great stretch at the bottom. I'd even give 'em the edge over T-bars.

Another thought: consider swapping the lat pulldowns for chins or pull-ups. If you can't do 12 pull-ups, maybe you could swap 'em when you're doing the 8s or 5s.

I would also choose skull-crushers or French presses over triceps pushdowns any day (but yeah, they can be tough on the elbows when the weight gets heavy). Fausto's right--they provide a better stretch. Bench dips are also great for packing on muscle and you can work up to some nice heavy weight with 'em, too. Not a good stretch-point movement though.

T-Bar let you use more weight, DB rows give you better range of motion but with slightly less strict form...which one is your bag baby?
tounge.gif

Triceps - skullcrushers stretch the muscle more at their least contracted point than triceps pushdowns do. Plus, press downs often involve a bit of cheating at the heaviest weight (I know I do anyway).

I 2nd gripstrength in recommending bench dips, they're awesome...only reason I don't use them is normally training alone and loading up 60-70-80kgs on your legs can be difficult without a partner
tounge.gif

With the exercise selection focused on upper back, I am surprised there was no talk about chins!
butbut.gif
Well, he is using Lat Pulldown, which more or less is the same exercise.

Looks good!

-Colby

After 8 weeks of Single Factor and 11 days of SD I started my HST cycle today. It feels great to be back! And wow did I have a good SD! I was getting a great pump with real light weights and it felt great.

I added in T-Bar rows, I think it was a nice addition to my routine.

Joe G

[b said:
Quote[/b] (faz @ Oct. 20 2005,11:00)]..i would drop the shrugs and leg exts..quads get worked with squats
and traps get worked with deads and uprights :D
traps get worked out with upright rows?

if that's so I may consider adding them to my routine again - it's been a while

Apparently bringing the bar up to your chin works more traps while bringing the bar only to your clavical works more delts. I think I read DKM say that somewhere in the forum.

Joe G

Yep, full ROM upright rows hit the upper traps. Just taking the bar to around mid-low rib cage will work the delts only. Perform a BB upright in the mirror and see the traps contract.

Joe G - how much strength did you gain in your SF routine?

Back