More Cals + Exercise OR Less Cals

Tom Treutlein

I've heard it before, that eating more and burning it off through exercise is better than just eating less calories to begin with. Why is this?

This is due to better nutrient partitioning i believe. Kinda like how your workout stimulates your metabolism and post-workout anabolic effects, and so on. Basically your body will absorb everything you eat better for muscle and less for fat when you have better nutrient partitioning. This is why training more frequently usually leads to less fat gains, but also needs more calories to gain in the first place (working out so often).

Hope this helped,
Lance

... I'm coming around a little more often now with threads that i put good thought into. Maybe one day i will live up to some of the legends on this board. Only problem is my plagairism (spelling?) because i learned it all from them. I'm going to go congrat Vicious in his thread, i havn't gotten to that yet.

Speaking of which, i have a question to ask some of those fine young (maybe, lol) men.

With my current job as of 3 months now it is full time, 40 hours per week, pretty physical. It's like a low state cardio for 8 hours a day. I pack a truck full of boxes off a conveyor belt. Nothing too heavy, Michaels Arts and Crafts, so not much over 50lbs. I also build tall pallets with them, about 9' tall. This is done pretty fast and constantly the whole time, often 2 trucks are done at the same time, as well as pallets made outside the trucks. That's 2 conveyor belts at once.

My question is, how much does this let me get away with? Like hwo many calories more would i need to bulk probably?

I've been eating bad, and havn't been able to get in the gym as often lately. But even eating like total crap it took a while for me to accumulate fat.

That's funny, 'cause I have a similar job. I work for UPS and you start with grunt work. I unload trucks right now at a rate of about 1500 packages per hour. They range from 1-70 lbs., and the pace is quick. This is done Monday through Friday for three hours a night.

I'm eighteen and eating 23x my bodyweight currently - it's still not enough. Eat a lot man. A real lot. Don't even calculate it, just eat until you're full, then stuff a bit extra. I'm just perfectly satisfied with 23xBW in cals, so I'm sure I need to eat just a little more (500-600 cals) in order to gain. As far as I can see, force-feeding is a descent gauge. For me it just happens to be, anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ May 08 2005,12:40)]I've heard it before, that eating more and burning it off through exercise is better than just eating less calories to begin with. Why is this?
Lowering calories has a different effect on RMR, lean mass (depending on type/extent of restriction and which study you read), and hormonal issues than increasing energy expenditure (again depending on type/ extent of activity).

There is alot of evidence to support the use of exercise as a way to lose fat but retain LBM and keep RMR higher. Not to mention consistent exercise helps to keep the weight off, improves your overall health and decreases other risks associated with obesity and lack of exercise.

Back