Adding stretch points... some assistance needed

abarlament

Well, we're on to the second week of tens, where in the Pimp book Jules says some specialization can be added. This is what we've been doing:

Dips
Overhead Press
Lat PD
Squat
Hammer Strength row
Romanian DL
Curl

My arms are pretty embarrassing for how big the rest of me is (pithy 15" arms at over 200lbs), if I were to want to bring them up with specialization, I would go with stretch point (metabolic to come during the 5s, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it).

Now, as far as the exercises, out of the Pimp book I got db incline curls and skull crushers. I do my core routine on MWF, and am planning on doing the isos on T and Th (like Fausto's routine). Anyways, maybe my reading comprehension sucks, but what about weight, sets, and reps for the isos? The metabolic stuff was easier to find: 1 set, light weight, go for the burn then stop, reps weren't that important. But what about the stretch point? Use a weight that made a "big stretch," start cheating the concentric when you can't raise it anymore, keep increasing the weight. Am I right so far?

Abarlament

Don't complicate things, just do the same type of HST routine you are using for the main or core program, if you are the same variation as I did.

The metabolic sets, you just "pimp" them in as you see fit, I found that after a nice set of incline curls with a respectable load, taking a smaller weight immediately afterwards and pulse stretching the living c... out of your arms, works, you get a massive burn. :D

Same goes for the triceps, although I enjoyed for metabolic work after the skull crushers, using pushdowns and pulse sterctching but generally speaking skulcrushers have a better stretch.

You are on the right track though!

last cycle i added bicep chins throughout,2-3 sets,i added 3 sets d/bell pullovers(concentrating on tri's)and my arms went boom! (the good kind).

So just get some Dbs, go to an incline bench, let my arms hang straight down, curl it up, slowly lower it and really feel the stretch, repeat until I feel like stopping? Then move on to skullcrushers and do the same thing?

Alright, this was my log entry for today, does it look good as far as what I should be doing?

-----
2/7 - HST week 5 - 10s day 9

AM
PT like usual...

PM
Concentration Curls... 30 1x6 or so for each arm, emphasizing stretch at the bottom, at the end, added some pulse stretching for about 10 seconds or so.
Skullcrushers... 55 1x12 or so, paused in the stretch motion, followed again by about 10 seconds of PSing
Cybex Pullover... 90 1x12, same deal with PSing
Biceps Machine... 60 13 full reps (fast eccentric, 2-3" concentric), followed by some partial reps in the top half, followed by some pulsed reps in the very top, followed by a static hold for only like 4 seconds)

Probably have to adjust the seat to get a better stretch on the pullover machine, but I have to say I got a great pump, dang!

--------

Don't forget to add some more calories to your diet on Tuesdays and Thursdays to make up for the extra workload or all your efforts may be in vain. I guess a pre and post w/o drink on these days would cover it.
thumbs-up.gif

Abarlament

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So just get some Dbs, go to an incline bench, let my arms hang straight down, curl it up, slowly lower it and really feel the stretch, repeat until I feel like stopping? Then move on to skullcrushers and do the same thing?

That is pretty much it! Don't overdo it with a whole lot of other stuff, ther is no need for it!

Wow, let me tell you what, my arms felt crazy during PT. Triceps were sore as ####! I must need to work on my form for biceps, they didn't feel the same, and I assume it's because of incorrect form. I held my skullcrushers in the stretched position a bit more, so maybe that's it. I didn't feel a good stretch in my biceps doing concentration curls, it was mostly a stretch in the elbow joint.

ab

Just do the incline curls, the more inclined the better, for form, keep hands outward so that you can curl them properly without scratching the bench, then go purposely about them, try and J-rep them out (bottom range first - about 1/2 way up) then top range (1/2 way down and back up again).

Range - about the 80% of the weight of a 15 or a 10 RM, whichever the case do number of reps x 2 one for each half.

Surely that'll get your biceps going! :D

Came back and tell us how it felt! Ah...drop all the other biceps exercises, dude! Serious!

When you say more inclined bench, you mean more straight-up than level, right? I did try them, but I didn't feel much of a stretch in my biceps. I'll try them tommorow. And J-repping them... lol. I've been calling that method "21s" for about forever so theres no need for this new lingo. I will try that, of course. And when you say drop all other biceps exercises, do you mean the BB curls I've been using in my regular program, or the metabolic set I threw in at the end of my isos?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you say more inclined bench, you mean more straight-up than level, right?

I mean about 15 degrees or so from horizontal :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I did try them, but I didn't feel much of a stretch in my biceps.  I'll try them tommorow.

Get your arms at about 45 degrees or so towards the outside, and lay down completely into the bench do not lift your head, that should stretch them alright.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And J-repping them... lol.  I've been calling that method "21s" for about forever

Yeah, I know, I also used to call them 21's, but you know what i mean and besides 21's are split in 3 x 7 in this case I am telling you break exercise into either two equal halves or three quarters but use the same rep scheme as the HST, (eg: if 15's then 15's half up and 15's half down), then I'd say one set should do
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And when you say drop all other biceps exercises, do you mean the BB curls I've been using in my regular program, or the metabolic set I threw in at the end of my isos?

Man...it is up to you, but I assure you if you are doing chins and dips, then inclines would be enough as the only metabolic set you need for biceps, it is a matter of FAITH = RISK, the other hand of the coin is to try and then comment on pro's and con's :D

At least that is what I do, I am currently trying out J-rep method within the HST parameters and once I am done I will come and give my opinion and results!
thumbs-up.gif

My version of 21's with a barbell:

7 reps - Curls
7 reps - Reverse Curls
7 reps - Wrist Curls

The ultimate is the 28's with 7 reps of Shrugs at the end which just gives you fatigue.

Back