HST Workout Thread

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZeroAkarui @ June 29 2004,6:20)]This is my first ever HST cycle...
Squat/Leg Press
Leg Curl
Bench Press/ DB Bench Press
Chin ups (lat pulldowns)/ Seated Cable Row
Reverse DB Fly
Shrugs
EZ-Bar Bicep Curl/ EZ-Ba Reverse Curl
Dip (Bench Dip)/ Tricep Pushdown
Seated Calf Raise
Seated Shoulder Press/ Lateral Raise
Cable Crunch (cable from above)
Weeks 1 and 2: 1 set 15 reps
Week 3: 2 sets 10 reps
Week 4: 1 set 10 reps
Week 5: 2 sets 5 reps
Week 6: 1 set 5 reps
Weeks 7 and 8: 1 set 5 RM (Compound lifts only)
A lot I just added, like I started out only going to do 1 set every week, then I heard I should do 2 sets first week then 1 second week (15s aren't like that because I had alrdy finished the first week of 15s.) I only just added the abs and the weeks 7 and 8 of the 5 rep maxes.
Input please.
I would do more exercises for the back.

You can do more volume imo.

imho,
HDD.

by more volume, u mean more sets? like 2 sets for 15s, 3 sets for 10s, and 4 for 5s? or what?
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ilFacell @ June 29 2004,9:50)]Program A - M/W/F
1. Calf Press on Hammer Strength Leg Press
2. Hammer Strength Leg Press
3. Hammer Strength Incline Press (10º Angle)
4. Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
5. Cybex Bicep Curl
6. Barbell Shrugs
Program B - T/Th/Sa
1. Calf Press on Hammer Strength Leg Press
2. Barbell (Complete Rounding) SLDL*
3. Hammer Strength Seated Row
4. Hammer Strength Lat Pulldown
5. Cybex Tricep Extension
6. Weighted Grip Machine
*Despite the immense amount of information regarding the lack of safety when rounding the back during the stiff legged deadlift, I continue to. The reasoning behind this is simple - the SLDL is the only active movement used to induce myotrauma on my erector spinae, so, in turn, I use the movement for the better portion of the posterior chain. I have used it for years without injury and I feel that it is a movement that I have covered well enough (in regard to neural ability) to perform safely.
That's an interesting routine, almost all machines. How many cycles have you done this with? And were the results good?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZeroAkarui @ June 29 2004,11:25)]by more volume, u mean more sets? like 2 sets for 15s, 3 sets for 10s, and 4 for 5s? or what?
worship.gif
Yes, something like that. The idea is to train as much as you can as long as your strength is not affected.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That's an interesting routine, almost all machines. How many cycles have you done this with? And were the results good?

In terms of mechanical loading, it is my bias that machines (if they allow a greater amount of weight to be tolerated while actively eccentrically contracting) are superior. Mind you, my goals are completely in the direction of musculoskeletal hypertrophy.

My results have been astounding, however, it was not because of the machines. ::Taps Bryan Haycock on the back::

Equally, yes, every cycle I have ever completed (pre and post injury) used machines as the staple. My reasoning is simple:

1) (For me) A greater body of load can be tolerated.
2) Conventional barbell training drains my cns to an unbearing degree.
3) I am prone to falling underneath a squat bar
crazy.gif

Safety should always be your first consideration. It is popular these days to knock Smith Machines but, if you work out without a knowedgeable partner, they are much safer than free weights. I also choose dumbells over barbells in any type of overhead application.

Old and Grey you said you started your 13th cycle yesterday, where can we see pics of you after 12 HST cycles (if possible before/after) ?

It would be interessant to see what kind of progress you did after ~50-60 weeks on HST.

Same question for Bodyquard :)

Sorry but I have never posted any pictures. I think my employees and fellow shareholders would find it a bit puzzling as to why their Chairman was posing semi naked on the internet. And that doesn't even address the customers, suppliers, bankers, et al. And wouldn't my competitors just love it too. I'll have to take a pass on the photo op for now.
blush.gif

Oh, by the way, I have been following HST protocols since October 2002.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 01 2004,7:49)]Safety should always be your first consideration. It is popular these days to knock Smith Machines but, if you work out without a knowedgeable partner, they are much safer than free weights. I also choose dumbells over barbells in any type of overhead application.
I don't knock on machines if that's what you think, I would probably use some of them if I was a memeber at a gym. I really wish I had a calf raise machine
sad.gif

No Ecto, I was referring to BBers in general. And, quite frankly, free weights are superior, in my opinion, to machines but that does not override the issue of safety. You can't work out if you're injured.
crazy.gif

Tomorrow I finish my 13th cycle

squat ( 2 x week)
chin
dips
ohp
french press
curl
hammer
abs

I follow a 15/10/6/4/4 scheme

Normal 15's/10's/5s setup

Squat x2
SLDL x1-2
Calf raise x1-2

Flat DB press x1-2
Mid-grip cable rows x2
Chest dips x1-2
Weighted pullups x2

DB OVerhead press x1-2
DB bicep curl x1
Rear delt on pec dec machine
Weighted machine ab crunch x1-2

A range 1-2 means I do one or two sets, depending how fatigued I feel that day. I also alternate which chest/back superset I'll do first. One day I'll do the press/cable rows superset first, and I'll give press 2 sets. The next day I'll do dips/pullups first and give dips 2 sets.

I really like this routine, finally everything feels good

I'm on the standard 15rm, 10rm, 5rm routine. Finishing up my second week of 10s tomorrow. First cycle I am following the advice of doing 1 set during 15s, 2x10s, 1x10s, 2x5s, 1x5s. Then I will try some negatives the 7th week.

Weighted Crunch
Seated Cable Row
Lat Pulldown
Bench Press
Standing Shoulder Press
Squats
Calf Raises
Shrugs
Barbell Curls
Tricep cable push-downs

Brak

On my 3rd HST Cycle:

STATS as of 11-29-04:

Age - 36
Weight - 209
Height - 6' 3"
BF % - 12-14

BODY MEASUREMENTS:

Chest - 45"
Bi's - right = 18 1/4, left = 18
waist - 36
belly - 36.5
neck - 17 1/2
Quads - (dont laugh now) 25" Left & Right
Calves - (ok, really dont laugh now) 16 1/2 Right & 16 1/4 Left
(* I've got some long @$$ legs and they've been harder than hell to add mass to. I wont even tell ya where they were 3 years ago, but they are growing)

I've stuck to the 15, 10 & 5 rep ranges for each cycle
1 set on 15's, 2 on 10's, 3 on 5's

Start with 10 minutes walking treadmill at highest incline for warm-up followed by Swiss Ball stretching then go back and forth with the following two workouts:

A:
- DEADLIFT
- LEG PRESS
- GLUTE HAM RAISE
- INCLINE DB PRESS
- DB FLYES
- WEIGHTED DIPS
- CHINS WG
- CHINS NG
- REAR DELTS
- SKULL CRUSHERS
- SHRUGS
- ROPE HMR CURLS
- CALVES 1 X 75
- AB CRUNCHES 5 X 5

B:
- SQUAT
- LEG EXTENSION
- GLUTE HAM RAISE
- BENCH PRESS
- DB FLYES
- WEIGHTED DIPS
- ROWS WG
- ROWS NG
- REAR DELTS
- TRI DIPS
- SHRUGS
- BI CMBR BAR CURLS
- CALVES 1 X 75
- AB CRUNCHES 5 X 5

I do the classic 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 method with this workout :
Squat
1 Leg Calve Raise
Lat PullDown
Incline Db Press
BB Shrug
Rope Crunches
Seated Row
Cable CrossOver
Military PRess
Leg Curl
Pushdown
BB Curl
Pronated BB Curl

I put the exercise in a specific way so I can do a circuit training when I do multiple set (2x10 and 3x5) so it takes less time to finish my workout.

When Im in the 2x10 block, Im "supesetting" 2 exercises at a time, taking no or little rest between exercise, and after the completion of the 2nd one, I take 1 min break. I do the other set of each, and after I move on to the 2nd pair of exercise. The same principle goes for the 3x5 block, but Im supersetting 4 exercise at a time. With this method, my workouts always last less than 60 min.

When Im in the beginning of a block, since it is pretty easy, I do the exercise slower, so it is harder to complete the set, but I stay far from failure, since Im a big believer now that muscle growth doesn't come when you are tiring your CNS. I always complete the 1st set no matter if it is failure or not (tough I never did go to failure since I start, because my strength seems to increase) and on multiple set block, I dont care if I dont complete the target reps on 2nd and 3rd set. When I slow down too much during a set, I stop there, so I dont stress cns for nothing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 01 2004,5:44)]Sorry but I have never posted any pictures. I think my employees and fellow shareholders would find it a bit puzzling as to why their Chairman was posing semi naked on the internet. And that doesn't even address the customers, suppliers, bankers, et al. And wouldn't my competitors just love it too. I'll have to take a pass on the photo op for now.
blush.gif

Oh, by the way, I have been following HST protocols since October 2002.
You could always edit out your face like Ive done on my pics? Posting pics which show a good rate of progress or general transformation are*very* motivating for others IMO.

I've been using this basic plan for more than half a year and for all my HST cycles. I've changed one exercise or so a couple times, but allways came back to this:

Squats
Deadlifts
Leg Curls
Bench
Chins
Flys
Rows
Pullovers
Military Press
Shrugs
CG Bench
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises
Abs (Leg Raises/Incline Crunches)

This next cycle i'm going to try to prioritize my arms and chest a little bit. I'm going to try out Incline Hammer Curls for my bi's, Cable Pushdowns for my Tri's, and for Chest ... well ... i'm going to try to just do some pushups before i start my chest just to get the blood flowing a bit, see if that helps. I don't like the idea of pre-exhausting with Fly's, i'd rather just do a couple easy sets of pushups to get a chest pump going, and i'm sure that will help. But we'll see.

Back