My grip strength is lacking

ajntorinj

When I get to the heavy weights, specifically for my deadlifts and barbell/trap-bar shrugs, my weak grip prevents me from moving on to higher weights and from performing the lifts with the best form. Every resource I've read has discouraged straps, suggesting that one should let his grip strength develop naturally. My grip strength hasn't developed naturally. Can you offer some suggestions on how to improve my problem next cycle? Thanks.

Have you tried holding the bar in your hands with an excessive load for time in a power rack?

Or, alternatively, hanging from a bar or rafter with extra weight added to your body?

Farmer's Walks?

I haven't really tried any of those. I figured if I were to train for forearm strength, I wouldn't get any hypertrophy in my forearms during the cycle [unless, of course, I managed to seriously improve my strength in that area]. In any case, I think I will train forearm strength and endurance during my upcoming cycle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ajntorinj @ Sep. 08 2004,2:12)]I haven't really tried any of those. I figured if I were to train for forearm strength, I wouldn't get any hypertrophy in my forearms during the cycle [unless, of course, I managed to seriously improve my strength in that area]. In any case, I think I will train forearm strength and endurance during my upcoming cycle.
lol

You'd be amazed at how many "rules" are really just opinions.

There's more to growth than JUST tension. Tension is simply the most important factor. Still, not the only one.

Just as the eccentric is the most important part of a rep. Your forearms grow from Deadlifting, even though their action is solely isometric. If you extend that line of thinking, you can realize that a lot of things deemed unimportant may have value under conditional circumstances.

Besides, even IF the forearm work somehow prevented forearm growth (I cannot fathom this- sorry), it would allow for better progression on your Deadlifts, leading to greater overall growth. Of course, if what you figured had merit, getting better at deadlifting might prevent back and leg growth.

See the error in that line of thought?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Baoh @ Sep. 08 2004,2:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ajntorinj @ Sep. 08 2004,2:12)]I haven't really tried any of those. I figured if I were to train for forearm strength, I wouldn't get any hypertrophy in my forearms during the cycle [unless, of course, I managed to seriously improve my strength in that area]. In any case, I think I will train forearm strength and endurance during my upcoming cycle.
lol
You'd be amazed at how many "rules" are really just opinions.
There's more to growth than JUST tension. Tension is simply the most important factor. Still, not the only one.
Just as the eccentric is the most important part of a rep. Your forearms grow from Deadlifting, even though their action is solely isometric. If you extend that line of thinking, you can realize that a lot of things deemed unimportant may have value under conditional circumstances.
Besides, even IF the forearm work somehow prevented forearm growth (I cannot fathom this- sorry), it would allow for better progression on your Deadlifts, leading to greater overall growth. Of course, if what you figured had merit, getting better at deadlifting might prevent back and leg growth.
See the error in that line of thought?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Besides, even IF the forearm work somehow prevented forearm growth (I cannot fathom this- sorry), it would allow for better progression on your Deadlifts, leading to greater overall growth. Of course, if what you figured had merit, getting better at deadlifting might prevent back and leg growth.

My initial thought was that I wouldn't be able to progressively increase load at a rate that would lead to hypertrophy. I see that I was silly thinking like this. My only consolation was that I actually didn't think about it that hard. But you are absolutely correct: if my grip is preventing me from gains in other areas, it must be corrected.

I had real skinny wrists and forearms. The way I got them bigger was to keep a set of dumbell in my bathroom. Every time I had to use the john I would do a couple of sets of regular and reverse wrist curls. It added about an inch just to my wrist over about a year. The good thing is that the wrists and forearms don't seem to atrophy so I haven't had to do that for years but they still remain big and strong.

That's an interesting idea. Are the forearm muscles similar to the calf muscles, in that they require high volume for growth?

Try fingertip pushups, or deadlifts/pullups with a thick bar, or towel pullups (hang a thick towel over a pullup bar, grab onto the two ends of the towel with your two hands, and do pullups). Keep in mind that your grip strength, at least for me, almost always grows slower than your other larger muscle groups.

Grip Strenght, go to Ironmind.com purchase The Captains of Crush book by Randell Strossen, Ph.D. ask for a Ironmind cataloque . This data will last a lifetime. Regards Rob.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Robert N Currie @ Sep. 08 2004,5:53)]Grip Strenght, go to Ironmind.com purchase The Captains of Crush book by Randell Strossen, Ph.D. ask for a Ironmind cataloque . This data will last a lifetime. Regards Rob.
I do not agree.

I own the COCs, and the quality he is seeking to enhance is "supporting" strength (strength-endurance on the isometric), not crushing strength (a dynamic action with a concentric and eccentric). As such, I don't think the COCs are suitable to that end.

Pinch grips would be another useful exercise to implement.

And to just be able to grab the bar without straps while your grip is lacking, try reversing your grips (one hand supinated and the other pronated), or hooking your thumbs. And using plain ol' chalk works wonders.

I just read of an excercize I am using. Get two plates. Put them together (smooth side out)and hold them in a pinching grip with one (or two hands).

They say to see how far you can walk doing this (like a farmers walk) but you can just look at the clock. Two 25lb plates for 30 to 60 seconds is tuff -- for me. Note: be careful that you are away from other people or can controll the weights when you let them down. The two plates can slide off one another and roll.

Bob

I don't know anyone, including Magnus Samuelson, who can hold two 25 pound plates, smooth side out in a pinching grip, for 2 seconds, more less 30 to 60 seconds.
blush.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ Sep. 10 2004,11:27)]I don't know anyone, including Magnus Samuelson, who can hold two 25 pound plates, smooth side out in a pinching grip, for 2 seconds, more less 30 to 60 seconds.
blush.gif
me neither. I do it with 10's. Sounds like BS

I find it interesting when supposed/assumed limits are placed on others because of personal inability.

Seems to be some manner of innate human psychological quality.

Back