Is 6x a week too frequent for good bulking?

jww13

I'm simply bulking right now. Is 6x a week per muscle too often? What about 12x (b/c I have a lot of free time now)?

I know that higher frequency is better for hypertrophy, but wouldn't too frequent prevent the muscle from recovering enough between workouts to ever really grow?

Also if I normally did 3x a week, with 2 sets per muscle, would I simply do 6x a week and reduce to 1 set per muscle? What about 12x a week, just do 1 set?

When I get into the lower rep ranges, I'm going to cluster in order to use high loads with the same volume. Should I follow each set up with a light-weight 10-15 rep set for the metabolic stress? If so, how exactly does that contribute to hypertrophy?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'd really appreciate knowledgable answers. thanks!

Hey there,

Very frequent training boosts metabolism really hard. If you want to train that frequent, make sure you eat alot.

Simon

I'm on SD right now and I was basically training until I felt I needed a rest (generally 5 days on 1 day off). My gains have been really good but tailed off into the end of my 5s (4 weeks of 5s but I think the slow down in gains was partly due to running out of weight on my machine. Basically too much repeating).

Yeh, you definately have to keep on top of the food but it shouldnt be a problem. I was doing about 1 set 15s, 2x 10s and 2x5s but dropped to 1x5s during the tail end.

3x, 6X and even 12X workouts per week all have their place in a hypertrophy plan. You just have to accomodate the added metabolic impact and adjust workout volume accordingly.

Clustering is fine with lower per week training sessions. It is usually too much volume for high frequency training. If you use clustering, you only need to add a high rep metabolic stimulator set or a drop set after the last cluster set...not after each set.

Hey there,

If you do, for example, 3-3-3-1 to get 10 Reps, do you HAVE TO do a metabolic set afterwards?

Simon

Thanks for the help.

How many calories over maintenance would I need to accomodate a 6x per week routine?

How does a burn set or superset aid in hypertrophy?

Yes, as the metabolic signaling would not be sufficient.

Also just to clarify and assure there is an understanding to the benefit of clustering.

Clustering reps has three main purposes.

1. Removing the set variable from your routine.
2. Working beyond your RM load.
3. Managing fatique.

So just in case someone is breaking their one set of 15 or 10RM load into mini clusters of 3's or 4's or 5's, this isn't worth it. You are defeating the purpose.

jww, that depends on how fast you want to bulk up. Your maintenance will probably increase by 200 to 300 calories daily because of the increase in frequency.

I'm working with 2-5rm at the moment, for 10 reps.

So what, should I add a burn set to every exercise at the end?

Thanks for the help, Simon

Steini, I usually do 2 weeks of my 5's and then 1 to 2 weeks of my 5RM with one drop or high rep set after each exercise (which would only be after your last set if you are doing multiple sets of the same exercise.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 16 2005,11:43)]jww, that depends on how fast you want to bulk up. Your maintenance will probably increase by 200 to 300 calories daily because of the increase in frequency.
I'd like to bulk very quickly. I don't mind gaining some fat as long as I'm gaining muscle. I'm only 150-155 and won't even consider cutting until I'm 170+.

I think I'll start my bulk by adding calories from my protein (24g per serving, 110 calories per serving). I'll have 1 before and 1 after my workout each day. That will be 220 extra calories right there.

After a week, if I haven't gained anything, I'll add another 250 calories per day from food.

Does that sound like a good plan?

thanks for the help everyone

Back