Best Quad Exercise for HST

battlechaser

What quad/glute exercise do you use with your HST program? I have been doing Hack Squats but I dont feel like my legs are coming along as well as other parts of my body. I just wanted to see what everyone else is trying.

You know, I feel almost the same way.

And I am using Squats and deadlifts as prescribed, however my nutrition is below at the moment due to a cutting cycle.

What puzzles me is that my upper body is noticeably changing but the legs are chugging along.

And it is not as if I don't lift enough, my best squat was 125 Kg. when I was weighing in at 65 Kg.

I know...I know, everyone is going to tell me eat you b......, that is your problem!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I used to do squats and deadlifts but I found that the heavier I squatted the more foward I would have to bend which would totally mess up my back. That is why i switched to the hack. Still it hasn't been the same.

I use full squats, deadlifts with over/under grip and good mornings. That's all I do for legs and they keep growing.

This is my first HST cycle, I'm using squats and romanian deads. Next cycle I'm changing it to bb hacks and deads. I can't get the hang of squatting with my quads.

For me it has to be squats. I am pushing my poundages up much faster than I thought would be possible. This cycle I will be aiming to finish the post 5s at 315lbs with clustering. My 5s are ending today at 275lbs. Last cycle I finished on 245lbs but I didn't manage 3 sets of 5. Later today I will get 3 x 5 at 275lb ( how confident is that?! ).

I have been experimenting with foot placement, currently favouring a stance with my feet about 20" apart. I'm also trying to keep my back as upright as possible by keeping my shoulders back and mentally focussing on contracting my lower back as I lower the weight. Basically the whole of my torso is pretty rigid compared with how I used to squat. This has really helped me to keep as much weight on my legs rather than my lower back.

I'm doing SLDLs too for my hammies and will be at 285lbs for them today. My lower back will be in need of a weekend off. Then I'm going to alternate squats and normal deads for the post-5s.

Squats rule! I'm not doing them right now because I'm getting my home gym in a week or two and I'm not going to have a squat rack or a spotter, but I'll get back to doing them when I can. I did them my last cycle and my legs blew up! I got to a point where I was clustering with about 2 reps at a time with some big weights. I love squats. Form can be tricky though sometimes.. :confused:

Right now I'm doing conventional deadlifts. I'm hoping that's gonna hit my legs enough, but if it doesn't I'll start doing some lunges or something since the load isn't as high it won't be as dangerous with my lack of equipment. I'm doing a cutting cycle right now though so I'm just looking to maintain.

Squats are the King..
I cannot do heavy squats due to herniated discs, but I
have gotten pretty good mileage out of other exercises.
Lunges (numero uno)
One leg dumbell squats
Dumbell Sumo Squats
High rep squats
If you have the room, try walking lunges..they are
supposed to be a kick in the pants.

The high rep barbell squats would be handy for you to work on form...

Back