Getting ready to try HST!

Keystone

I am new to the board and HST in general. Kind of stumbled upon it when I was trying to buy some caffeine. :) Been training for about 20 years using different traditional splits. For the last couple years I have been basically doing full body Monday and Friday with Shoulders and Arms on Wednesdays. My full body workouts were focused around compound movements. For example, Mondays might be flat benches, leg presses and pull ups. Wednesday might be shoulder presses, upgright rows, curls and tricep pushdowns. Fridays might be incline presses, squats and rows. I had it set up to rotate through a similar cycle with different exercises over the course of 6 workouts. Including warmups, I was doing 12-16 total sets with only one real work set per exercise. Just finished another cycle of that and now want to try HST since it appears to be great. Been reading for the last two days and have come up with the following.

My first goal was to keep my total sets around the same as I have been doing. Didn't want to go overboard my first time around and time is an issue too. So I have come up with the following.

Exercises:

Squats
Bench Press
Row
Rear Delts (skipped should presses since they are getting some work with my benches)
Bicep curls
Triceps pushdowns

I do some ab work every morning after I get out of the shower and do a few calf raises after my walk everyday at lunch. That's why those two were left out above.

I am planning on just doing one work set per exercise my first time through after warmups. That keeps me in a similar total set range.

Figured I would post here and see if you all have any opinions on what I can improve or might be missing. Trying to keep it plain jane the first time through but I want to make sure it's effective too. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

I am 5'11 205 lbs. Eat a low glycemic diet except for after workouts and consume about 3,000-3,500 calories a day spread out over 8 meals a day. Each meal consists of a lean protein, low glycemic carbs and healthly fats. Also try to get some walking in each day at lunch and maybe some extra walking on rest days. Use casein protein except for after my workouts which I use whey. Drink about a gallon of green/black tea a day. Also take a maintenance dose of creatine each day (about 5 grams). Figured I would give a little background information. :)

Keystone

Forgot to add that I am thinking about taking 7-10 days off (except for cardio) before starting my first cycle?

Keystone

Depending on the poundages you are now using it might be worth incorporating deadlifts or stiff-legged deadlifts too. I personally feel that deads are really good mass builders. If your lower back finds it hard going then you could always alternate DLs with squats.

If you have the time to read Bryan's HST - FAQ (it's downloadable as an eBook too) you will give yourself a really good grounding in all things HST.

Be sure to find your maxes for 15s 10s and 5s before you SD.

All the best,

Lol

Thanks Lol. I got the ebook and I am going to start working on my RMs today. I have a pretty good idea from past workout logs but I will confirm today for the 15s and then do the 10s and 5s on other days.

I will definitely work deadlifts in on subsequent cycles. Wanted to keep it simple the first time around.

Keep the advice coming. I have really enjoyed reading about all this the last two days.

Keystone

I am about to start HST as well....I have been doing 3-day splits for the past 2 months but I was wondering if it was that important to SD for 9-12 days before starting this routine?? Call me impatient but it's gonna be so hard to stop working out for 10 days. I don't know if I can do it?!

I understand that it's a big deal. My question is do I need to SD for 10 days before actually starting this?? I am coming over from 2 months of 3-day splits and I don't want to stop for 10 days just to start this but if that's what I have to do then I will do it. Is it recommended to SD before starting the 1st cycle?:confused:?

Hi guys

Welcome to HST! :D

Keystone:

Try to include deads either stiff legged or the full thing, alternate withthe squats as per LOL
tounge.gif

Some more: You can do rows but chins are better, any reason you not doing them? Doing these underhand close grip style is great for the biceps.

Since you are doing compounds, drop the curls and tricep stuff for now. Rather use Dips if you can for tricep work, or with head down for chest, triceps get worked too as a bonus.

The rest is fine then.

Remember to get you RM's in order, and...SD before starting.

15's - most times 1 set/10's 2 to 3 sets - or drop one set the second week/5's - 3 sets, can drop one the second week as the weight gets heavier.

That's it.

Davewins - SD is important because it gets your muscles to loose the previous conditioning and makes them susceptible to growth when exposed to light loads as in the 15's.

9 days is not so bad, stop the Fryday and re-start the next Monday, if your conditioning is heavy then you should do 14 - 15 days at least!

Good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]9 days is not so bad, stop the Fryday and re-start the next Monday, if your conditioning is heavy then you should do 14 - 15 days at least!

Do not forget to SD, guys, it is an integral part of HST. This can also have psychological benefits. You do not need to live in the gym in order to grow. If you are really serious about this, use your time to plan your meals. I have found nutrition to be the single most important factor in this business.

Regards,
Dimitris

I don't care about the 9 days after I start the HST cycle, I just don't feel like doing it now before actually starting the HST cycle. But, tomorrow WILL be my last day on my 3-day split and I will take the advice that I asked for and wait 9 days and start HST on Monday February 20th.

Fausto,

You are right about the chins. I currently do them in my current rotation. I have to use the weight assisted machine though. Guess that's okay. When choosing my exercises I just choose from the generic list and didn't even think about substituting the chins for the rows. I will do this now. Thanks for that. Will have to do some RM testing with my chins too.

I will also subsitute dips for the tricep pushdowns per your suggestion. I will have to do some RM testing with that though.

Since I am only doing one work set my first time through I will keep my bicep set unless you think that's a grave error. On a side note, (just read your post again) I will check to see if the weight assisted machine gives me the ability to do underhanded close grip chins. If so, then I will leave the biceps out altogether for now.

I will also incorporate dead lifts in my next cycle too. I have never done dead lifts before so I have some ramp up involved there. I will have to work on my form, test my poundages, etc.

I am planning on finishing my final RM testing on Friday (10th) and SDing until I start my cycle on the 21st. That's 11 eleven days. If my dates seem odd it's because I have to share gym time with the wife and I will be doing Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Thanks again for all of the current advice and future advice.

Keystone

SD isn't all that bad guys.. it gives you time to catch up on some other things.. and if you are worried about getting fat, then just eat at maintenance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Davewins - SD is important because it gets your muscles to loose the previous conditioning and makes them susceptible to growth when exposed to light loads as in the 15's.

Fausto speaketh with straight tongue! :) Do not underestimate the value of SD before your 1st cycle. 9 days can seem like an age waiting to start, but it does build your anticipation and eagerness to get back to the gym. (I use the time to get some of those anoying jobs done around the house.) Also, try not to do much in the way of other exercise while you are away from the gym. Some cardio is okay. Sitting on your butt and watching telly is great! :) Try to keep your calories at maintenance levels too (as Colby says).

When you finally get started and have your first w/o of 15s, and if you find that the weight feels pretty light (it may actually feel a lot heavier than you were expecting it to!), don't feel you have to stop at 15 reps. Go for the burn (but don't fry your nerves)! I try keeping the rep cadence a bit slower at the start of each mesocycle and then pick it up as I get into the second week and work towards my RMs.

Keystone:

You will love deads! :) If I could only do one exercise it would be this. Good form is essential and, as with any new exercise, it takes time to 'get in the groove'. Once you are happy doing them, you will really be able to ramp up the poundages for 5s and beyond.

Have fun!

Lol

Keystone

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have to use the weight assisted machine though. Guess that's okay.

Well, if you can't do it any other way rather yes than no, what you can do here is to progress as much as possible to be able to endure Bodyweight chins, then you are free! And once you are free, then aspire to start adding weight to your chins :D

Yep, you can do it!
butbut.gif
Albeit with patience and preserverance, but once you can your back will reward you!
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just choose from the generic list and didn't even think about substituting the chins for the rows. I will do this now. Thanks for that.

No problem, but I did not exactly say drop the rows, simply alternate them with chins, or do 1 set each in superset fashion!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I will also subsitute dips for the tricep pushdowns per your suggestion. I will have to do some RM testing with that though.

The reason here is the load, much bigger than with pushdowns, wish are not throw away item either but should rather be used once you get the mass you're looking for, as they are not really mass builder but rather let us call them "tricep beautifiers".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since I am only doing one work set my first time through I will keep my bicep set unless you think that's a grave error. On a side note, (just read your post again) I will check to see if the weight assisted machine gives me the ability to do underhanded close grip chins. If so, then I will leave the biceps out altogether for now.

No grave errors, just misshaps, and correctable too
laugh.gif
the biggest issue with us is we don't like to waste time with exercises that are not as efficient!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have to share gym time with the wife and I will be doing Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

You're blessed, a wife that pumps iron! I wish...as weight lifting is a bit of a narcisistic past time and can get on some people's nerves. Your time is just dandy!

Enjoy the deadlifts and HST experience.

davewins

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't care about the 9 days after I start the HST cycle, I just don't feel like doing it now before actually starting the HST cycle. But, tomorrow WILL be my last day on my 3-day split and I will take the advice that I asked for and wait 9 days and start HST on Monday February 20th.

You won't be sorry you did!
thumbs-up.gif

Fausto,

I used to be able to do chins with my bodyweight plus added weight. That was in high school and 20 years ago. I can only do about two normal ones now so that is why I have to use the machine. That will change one day though. :)

I am only dropping the rows from my initial cycle. I am going to keep it plain jane for my first cycle and then mix different things in with subsequent cycles.

Very good advice with the dips versus pushdowns. Going to do my RM testing with those today (along with my chins).

This will be my final day of lifting/testing before my 11 day SD period. :)

Keystone

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I used to be able to do chins with my bodyweight plus added weight. That was in high school and 20 years ago. I can only do about two normal ones now so that is why I have to use the machine. That will change one day though.

Of course it will, it is all in th emind, and lots of patience and preserverance!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am going to keep it plain jane for my first cycle and then mix different things in with subsequent cycles.

It is always best to keep things simple yet effective! Use exercises that are multi-jointed and where you can load fairly heavy weights, that will get you growing.

Tweaks and other stuff can came later, one idea that saves times and is rather effective is to do supersets.

Happy lifting mate!
:D

Fausto,

I need to learn how to use the quote button. :)

Yeah, supersets are great. I utilize them a lot.

Did my first experimenting with deadlifts last week and I am going to add them for my first cycle. I did them using the hammer strength machine though. Figured that might be a good way to get the form down to begin with. I also started light. Just did enough to give me an idea of what weights to use for my first cycle.

You didn't tell me that I was going to almost passout and puke, lol. I don't think my breathing was quite right so I will work on that.

I have my workout whittled down to five exercises right now (Deadlifts, bench presses, pull ups, rear delts and dips). Do you think I should eliminate the rear delt work or should I keep it in there?

Anything else you think I should be doing/eliminating just let me know.

Keystone

Keystone

It is easy to use the quote button, highlight the test you want and copy it, then click the quote button, paste and click it again :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You didn't tell me that I was going to almost passout and puke, lol. I don't think my breathing was quite right so I will work on that.

Sorry, should have warned you there!
sad.gif
, what kind of load did you use? Deads are tough as hell, most of us have a love-hate relationship with the exercise, some of us even think that the Dracula himself invented this one
laugh.gif

Tips: brace your back/don't have much in your stomach at time of lifting/if it helps touch the weight at the bottom, not touching it makes it somewhat tougher.

It will get better with the 5's
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](Deadlifts, bench presses, pull ups, rear delts and dips)

The only other thing I'd include is squats aletrnated with deads (one day squats/the other deads), that will cover your legs.

Dips can be used both for triceps and for chest, so go for the chest variety and get two birds with one shot :D If you prefer to hit the triceps then do them after the biceps with head lifted up (up to you there).
Keep the rear delts - alternate this with military presses, and get the whole shoulder head worked.

Simple as it is is good! Towards the 5's and negatives you can then add some metabolic work (also up to you).

Cheers mate, and....happy lifting :)

It is easy to use the quote button, highlight the test you want and copy it, then click the quote button, paste and click it again

Testing this. :)

Keystone

[Keystone

It is easy to use the quote button, highlight the test you want and copy it, then click the quote button, paste and click it again
QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Trying again.

Back