Point to the 10's?

Downward Spiral

Is there a point to doing the 10's? I can understand the 15's, for the lactate flush, and even that isn't necessary unless you have joint or tendon pain. The 5's are ideal for growth, and the quickest way to gain strength in a hypertrophy-friendly rep range.

I just don't see why anyone bothers with the 10's anymore.

I guess it's a good question. You will have growth in all the rep-phases. 10's simply help you progress from the 15's to the 5's. Sorry I wasn't scientific about it.
-Colby

If you scrapped the 10s, you would have less progression. You would jump from your 15 RM up to 60-70% of your 5 RM, which could be more than your 10 RM... the 10s will likely cause hypertrophy still, so you are missing out on a whole window of progression there.
If I was still using rep ranges, I would definitely do the 10s still.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The 5's are ideal for growth
Depends on conditioning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and the quickest way to gain strength in a hypertrophy-friendly rep range.
That's the negatives, not the 5's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just don't see why anyone bothers with the 10's anymore.
Always banging on heavy weights makes you adapt faster, with the results in growth not necesarily as fast. Not bothering with the lower weights that are just as effective after sufficient deconditioning is wasteful and unnecessary, and may predispose you to greater fiber necrosis.

The purpose of HST is growth. This is achieved by constantly applying an "effective" weight. The "effectiveness" of a weight is always relative to our current level of conditioning. That is why we can still grow by using weights the muscle has already seen before (after SDing).

We also want to be growing as much time as possible before having to SD. Very large increments will make the RBE "progress" faster as well (i.e. you will adapt faster). Sure, this can be effective (assuming there is no detrimental fiber necrosis, as mentioned by JV), but why not use a lighter weight which will achieve the same result? This way we still get the growth AND we delay somewhat the "progression" of the RBE.

When you can use a weight that allows you to do 10 reps and grow, why use a heavier weight that allows 5 reps only? The latter option will only make your cycle shorter (less time growing). That heavier weight will only be used when the lighter weights are not effective any more.

So, supposing that you are sufficiently deconditioned (so that the weights used during the 10's will be effective), you simply incorporate the 10's in your cycle to make it last longer and consequently spend more time growing.

Hope this helps a bit,
Dimitris

Nothing to worry about. Most resistance exercise doesn't cause necrosis (death of a muscle cell) in humans.

Back