flat or incline chest press

Quentin

i have been doing flat bench db chest press for a while. my shoulder started givin me probs at the 95lbs db and i went to incline and it feels a lot better and just more comfortable. will i lose any benefit on the incline or would it be better anyway to do incline. thanks. quentin

A slight incline is generally better for chest development than the flat bench anyway... I don't expect you to whip out a giant protractor or anything, but what would you say the angle of your incline is??

im doing incline BP (with barbell!) .. so the bench in my gym is already "inclined" which means i can't change its angle... so is that angle still more benefic than flat BP?? i guess that kind of benches has an angle of ~30 degree...??

thx!

The higher you go the more shoulder involvement you get!

Above 30 will stop being strictly a chest press and becomes more of a shouledr press! IMO

I take about 15 and yep it makes a big difference as the shoulder pain disappears!

Agree with Fausto.

I like 10 and 20 degree incline.

Or do an elevator workout.

Start at your highest of say 30 degrees and go down each set to flat!

Yeah I used to use a 45 degree angle, but that didn't do diddly squat for my chest. Flat bench never seemed to work my chest either though, at least not as much as a slight incline. All I do now though is dips. Ah how I love dips :D

Watch your form if your doing incline BP with dumbbells.
I royally screwed my left shoulder from using too much weight.
Dumbbell fell back + shoulder crunched + some throbbing =NO FUN.

Hi,
Resurecting an old post. Since its relevant I thought there's no point in starting a new one.

Currently on the second cycle of a routine I found on the main HST site. For chest I'm alternating between flat bench and dips. I'm finding that my lower pecs are developing, but the rest seems lagging, so it looks a bit funny.

Unfortunately, the gym I go to only has a few flat benches but also a few utility benches where I can change angles. So I was considering perhaps dropping the dips and alternating between bench press and incline dumbel press.

Will I be losing out by dropping the dips?

i would say keep the dips and drop the flat bench.
if your bench has no incline put some plates or timber under the bench.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Above 30 will stop being strictly a chest press and becomes more of a shouledr press! IMO</div>
Yeah, if it is above 30-35 the shoulders are HEAVILY involved and I don't feel it as much of a chest press anymore. I prefer a slightly incline chest press (10-20).
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Incline BP and dips are the best combo.</div>
That's what I believe too, and that's what I have been doing since I got started with HST. Recommended.

<div>
(wwewrestlingguy @ Jan. 23 2006,22:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah I used to use a 45 degree angle, but that didn't do diddly squat for my chest.  Flat bench never seemed to work my chest either though, at least not as much as a slight incline.  All I do now though is dips.  Ah how I love dips  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yup yup. Dropped bench for dips too. Seen a much better improvement in the chest area since.

I do 1 set flat, then incline the bench to the first notch (~ 15-20 degrees), and do an incline BP. That's the same weight. Naturally, on my max flat bench, I can't do an incline BP. During my heaviest load is the only time I strip off some weight before doing incline BP.

Back