?? about working out in the am

mrh

right now I do the upper body in the am and the lower body in the pm. the reason is I live in the deep south and my gym is my garage, so in the evenings its 95+ degrees in the garage. anyway, my time is very limited in the am, so I dont have time to eat anything before I work out. I just drink 2 cups of water to rehydrate. I take a 10 min. walk to wake up and get the blood flowing
dozingoff.gif
. I do drink a protein shake directly after I work out but Im wondering how much Im hurting myself by working out after approx 10-11 hrs without eating. from about october-march I will do both in the afternoon. then my schedule usually is eating dinner - approx 5 oz. chicken and baked potato (fist size) 30 min. later I work out. then right after the workout I drink a protein shake. thanks

It would be better to eat a small meal first with some carbs if you are really pressed for time. More convenient would be a carb and protein drink. A full meal would be better, but that would mean you have to wait 2+ hours. Two pieces of toast can cut it, just so you get carbs. Wait for a while though, 20 minutes or so.

You are pretty much low on carbohydrate stores after sleeping, so eat something first.

Regards,
-JV

JV is right!

I have tried to workout early and man...just does not feel right!

You might end up nice and lean though!
laugh.gif

Yes, have the toast, Bro!

By the way I also gym in my garage, not too bad, but now it is dang cold, could be worst I guess!

thanks guys, I could probably get away with a 20 min. wait but no more. what about this. I use the myoplex shakes 42 g. protein, 24 g. carbs. this is mixed with 15 oz. of water. would it be a good idea to drink half the shake before workout. wait 20 min., lift, then drink the other half?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thanks guys, I could probably get away with a 20 min. wait but no more. what about this. I use the myoplex shakes 42 g. protein, 24 g. carbs. this is mixed with 15 oz. of water. would it be a good idea to drink half the shake before workout. wait 20 min., lift, then drink the other half?

Yes, that's good.

If I were you, I'd just drink the whole thing pre-workout. Post workout nutrition is no problem since I assume you eat regularly and enough during the rest of the day. Just have your normal breakfast after you shower.

And by the way, I also workout at home because my job barely allows me to workout at all. If I had to go to the gym, all I can do is show them my membership card, say hello, then I'll have to leave immediately! :D

Regards,
-JV

thanks JV. yes, I dont believe my daily intake is a problem. I'm getting around 1600 cals a day but Im trying to loose weight right now. my daily intake looks something like this
5am -upper body lift
6am  protein shake
9am -  whole grain waffle/ 1 tbs natural peanut butter/bananna
12pm - turkey sandwich w/fat free cheese/tomato/mustard on whole wheat and apple
3pm 1/2 protein shake
6pm 5 oz steak,fish or chicken w brocolli or medium baked potato
7pm lower body lift
8pm 1/2 protein shake
minimum of 1 gallon of water per day.

I do AM PM fullbody. I just have a protein shake with some fruit in the morning about 15 mins before workout. Things work fine with me for that, and then right after i have a humoungoulous brunch kinda thing :D

pzhang

I started in the am last cycle and it took some time to get used to it. I drink a protein shake an hour before. I mix 2-3 bananas with the protein powder, creatine, flaw seed and orange juice. Post workout I drink the same thing, though today I drank half of it slowly throughout the workout and it seemed to work well. I still prefer my PM workout though.

I like AM workouts, but I believe that they are more effective if you keep the AM workout a bit shorter and stack a few more exercises onto the PM workout instead. When I have a decent AM workout, around 20 minutes, I find that my energy is flying high all day. If I go too long in the AM though, I can be lethargic in the afternoon. Too short in the AM and it feels like I didn't even workout.

Mrh: You know what I would do if I were you? I'd mix up a protein shake before bed, stick it in the fridge, then down that real quick in the morning before your workout. I find that if you keep the shake relatively small, meaning not too much liquid, you can workout almost immediately afterward. By the time you are done warming up for the workout, it should be digested enough that it won't cause problems when you hit the weights for real.

if i do an am workout..i take a protein shake and a spoonfull of glucose about half an hour before..do my weights then i take another shake and glucose and do my cardio.
i prefer instant whey because its a thinner mix easier to hold down 19.5gms of protein..then i eat real food afterwards :D

Back