Utlizing carb cutoffs?

Gladiator

I've trained using HST in the past and have always gained mass on it, however, i always gained a little more fat than i wanted.

Could a carb cutoff be used here to minimise fat gains? or would this interfere with gaining muscle? meals after the carb cutoff would be almost entirely protein based, with some veggies and possibly fatty oils (e.g. flaxseed or olive oil, or fish oil tabs)

Any help would be appreciated.

What time do you workout?

Lonnie Lowery does a great job of assimilating research, and although he is published in T-mag does not actively support Biotest products. Plus he generally makes a clear distinction between empirical and anectdotal unlike Berardi. A few years ago he wrote an article called temporal nutrition in which he said that the body is less insulin sensitive afternoon and suggested consuming foods that controlled insulin, but that does not automatically exclude carbs, there many great low ii carb choices. The one exemption is evening workouts - carbs are fine then, depending on goals.

My suggestion is try it for two weeks see how your body responds , and adjust. All the while maintaining enough protein (1.5g - 2g/kg bw) and balance of fats with a good ratio of omega 6-to-3. It might be as simple as calorie adjustment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gladiator @ May 05 2005,9:09)]I've trained using HST in the past and have always gained mass on it, however, i always gained a little more fat than i wanted.
Could a carb cutoff be used here to minimise fat gains? or would this interfere with gaining muscle? meals after the carb cutoff would be almost entirely protein based, with some veggies and possibly fatty oils (e.g. flaxseed or olive oil, or fish oil tabs)
Any help would be appreciated.
This also depends on when you are doing the cutoff.

I wouldn't cut the carbs too low during the 15's,
Unless trying to cut. But during the 5's and negs it might not be a bad idea as you don't need as many then. Some here cycle the carbs throughout the entire cycle and I tried a cycle where I lowered carbs during 15's but even though I lost fat I also lost strength and muscle, this will also depend on refeeds and how often you are doing them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ryan @ May 06 2005,11:37)]What time do you workout?
Lonnie Lowery does a great job of assimilating research, and although he is published in T-mag does not actively support Biotest products. Plus he generally makes a clear distinction between empirical and anectdotal unlike Berardi. A few years ago he wrote an article called temporal nutrition in which he said that the body is less insulin sensitive afternoon and suggested consuming foods that controlled insulin, but that does not automatically exclude carbs, there many great low ii carb choices. The one exemption is evening workouts - carbs are fine then, depending on goals.
My suggestion is try it for two weeks see how your body responds , and adjust. All the while maintaining enough protein (1.5g - 2g/kg bw) and balance of fats with a good ratio of omega 6-to-3. It might be as simple as calorie adjustment.
unfortunately, due to my schedule i workout at a huge variety of times.

i think you're right in that i just need to experiment with it a little and monitor my body closely.

Thanks Ryan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ May 06 2005,11:44)]This also depends on when you are doing the cutoff.
I wouldn't cut the carbs too low during the 15's,
Unless trying to cut. But during the 5's and negs it might not be a bad idea as you don't need as many then. Some here cycle the carbs throughout the entire cycle and I tried a cycle where I lowered carbs during 15's but even though I lost fat I also lost strength and muscle, this will also depend on refeeds and how often you are doing them.
now why didn't i consider carb cycling?
blush.gif

i had huge results with UD2 so will use that when i'm cutting down in the future. i am not trying to cut now, just put on lean mass without too much fat.

Thanks dkm1987, you've also given me something to consider

Back