Increments a machines

mostlyallan

Havent been on these boards for quite a while now. I stopped training but am getting back into it again.

Question: with using HST and home-gyms, the plate weights may not go up in the increments necessary (lower than say 10lbs).
If I were to change the 15s (for example) to accomodate this and do the increments say 70,70,80,80,90,90 as opposed to 65,70,75,80,85,90, how would this impact training in terms of how HST works?

I could just add free weights onto the pin that hold the plates - obviously this would work but I was just curious as to the above.

Cheers guys (gals).

Have you tried FAQ...

You can do that. The whole point is to get progressive in a longer time span.

Thanks.

Just wanted to make sure. Everything used to be fine on my WO's but the home-gym's increments are poor for small increments.

Thanks again.

There might be a fix for that.

I am in the same situation only a bit worse. My machine only has 20lb plates! 70,70,70,90,90,90 seems like too steep a jump to make. I just got through looking at all the FAQ stuff, and doing a forum search without seeing anything helpful.

Anyway, feeling boned, I did a google and found something called horseshoe weights that can fix that problem. I'm throwing in a link (not because I endorse the product, brand, or outfit selling them) just wanted to show people they existed.

horseshoe weights

I might buy some. If I do, and they work out, I will post again.

Thats quite cool.
I'll probably stay with the cheaper option of sticking weights on the pins tho (hopefully they wont fall off). :D

My next problem comes when I go above the max weight of my unit. I'll have to get an upgrade thingy which bascially has a longer pin to support more plates.

On some of the machines at my gym I am able to place a 3 pound DB on either side of the (whatever you call that pole the weights slide up and down on).
laugh.gif
so I go up 6 pounds one workout, four on the next. Close enough, I think.

Whatever you do in adding weights, try to keep it centered on the weight stack as much as possible. Too much weight off to the side will create additional drag (and hence resistance). Eventually that will cause more wear and tear on the machine and (possibly) your joints.

I admire people who have the discipline to work out at home.
thumbs-up.gif

Kate

Our family has dumbells for the kids. I steal the 2 and 3 pound rubberized dumbells when smaller increments are required than 10 pounds.

Because they are small and rubberized, they seem to stay on the topmost weight more effectively than anything else I've tried. And it will only set you back a couple of bucks.

We had some ankle weights that consisted of little 1 lb "tubes" of sand that slid into the part that wrapped around the ankle. I've used those little bags of sand alot...you can stack up to about 4 on my weight stack. I also have a 5 lb weight purposely made to sit on top of a weight stack, its square with a notch in it to slide around the weight stack center tube. As I recall, they also made a similar model in a 2.5 lb size. Handy...

Back