Limited Equipment

Richard Ross

I'm asking some assistance creating a routing based on my some what limited equipment. I am new to body building. I know some basic exercises to start with. The thing is I've read it's good to change up the exercises during the cycle. One problem I know I have is legs for example. I can do squats in the power rack. What could I use to change things up for legs? The same goes for back. Any help putting together a solid routine would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your feed back.
Here is what I do not have:
Access to a gym
Lat pull down machine
Dumbells
Here is what I have:
Power Rack
Chin up bar
Dip bars
300 pound Olympic weight set
EZ curl bar
Dip belt
Adjustable bench

You have everything you need. Start with squats, bench/dips, and rows/chins and work out from there. Add something for biceps, triceps, side and rear delts, calves and abs and your set. Don't use complicated movements. Stick to those that allow heavy weight and that don't overstretch the shoulders in potentially injurous directions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ May 28 2004,4:51)]You have everything you need. Start with squats, bench/dips, and rows/chins and work out from there. Add something for biceps, triceps, side and rear delts, calves and abs and your set. Don't use complicated movements. Stick to those that allow heavy weight and that don't overstretch the shoulders in potentially injurous directions.
Bryan, thanks for you reply. I understand I have what I need for the basics. Is it okay if you can't change things up? Also the only thing I can think of for calves is to have the bar on the power rack set a couple of inches below shoulder level. Then hold the bar in squat position and lift lower, lift lower etc.. Anyone have any more ideas on calves? And for side and rear delts, what can I do for those?

Thanks!

I only have a power rack, Olympic set and adjustable bench. For calves I built a 'calf block' (or whatever you want to call it) with a 2 x 4 and I do one leg calf raises with one hand holding onto a weight plate and the other holding onto the power rack just for balance. Two leg calf raises make it too hard for me too balance on the calf block with a barbell on my shoulders.
For shoulders you can just hold onto weight plates to do side and bent over laterals. For legs I built a step-up platform out of 2 x 4 pieces and plywood so I can do step-ups. You can also do lunges for your legs. For back all you really need is BB rows and chins. Hope this helps.

Frank

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FrankG @ June 04 2004,1:02)]Two leg calf raises make it too hard for me too balance on the calf block with a barbell on my shoulders.
I just hold my barbell at waist level when doing calf raises. Might make it easier on you if you did them this way.

wow.gif
2-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FrankG @ June 04 2004,1
wow.gif
2)]I only have a power rack, Olympic set and adjustable bench. For calves I built a 'calf block' (or whatever you want to call it) with a 2 x 4 and I do one leg calf raises with one hand holding onto a weight plate and the other holding onto the power rack just for balance. Two leg calf raises make it too hard for me too balance on the calf block with a barbell on my shoulders.
For shoulders you can just hold onto weight plates to do side and bent over laterals. For legs I built a step-up platform out of 2 x 4 pieces and plywood so I can do step-ups. You can also do lunges for your legs. For back all you really need is BB rows and chins. Hope this helps.
Frank
Frank,
I'm trying to picture what you're taking about. Could you explain the calf raise contraption a little more? Your post was very helpful.
Richard

Sure. I cut a 2x4 into 3 pieces, 2 short and one long. The two short pieces are spaced a couple of feet apart or so and parallel too each other. Then I nail the long piece on top of and perpendicular to the two short pieces. Its shaped like this, Calf block. Hopefully this helps.

Frank

How's this for DIY home gym:

barbell: Steel pipe found in the basement cut down to size with a hacksaw

bench: 2x4's and plywood, used for stepup's, rows and seated press.

stands: 2x4's used for benching off the floor, partial deads
calf block: just like FrankG's

old backpack: plates on my back for dips

chin bar: 2 hooks screwed into top of door jam with a steel bar on the hooks (steel bar is the piece that was cut off barbell pipe)

Total cost $0. All materials were recycled/garbage picked. The only actual purchased items are db's and plates. When I'm done working out, I just pile it all up into the corner.

Working on building a dip station with 2x4's. Heh.

You everythin needed to build an impressive physique in my opinion. Myself I worked out with similar equipment for years. Remember, the only change your body will need is volume, frequency and weight on the bar. All this you can accomplish through your home gym. For example:

Squat
SLDL
Benchpress
Row
Dip
Curl
Standing press
Shrug
French press
Calves (for the calves: buy a chain, put it around a lifter belt, add plats to the chain. Do one legged calf raises. Better then any calf machine in the world)

You everything needed to build an impressive physique in my opinion. Myself I worked out with similar equipment for years. Remember, the only change your body will need is volume, frequency and weight on the bar. All this you can accomplish through your home gym. For example:

Squat
SLDL
Benchpress
Row
Dip
Curl
Standing press
Shrug
French press
Calves (for the calves: buy a chain, put it around a lifter belt, add plats to the chain. Do one legged calf raises. Better then any calf machine in the world)

Calves: Walk hills or do outside cardio walking with an old backpack with plate(s) in it. If you feel it in your calves the next day, it's effective.

I've seen BIG calves on marathon walkers, especially guys who routinely tote packs. Much less so on runners. Marathon walking is bigger in Europe than the U.S.

Back