Doing Negatives On Chins

tocamjapan

I don't have a spotter, so I was wondering how you guys do negatives on chins? Share some technique tips for getting past the eccentric without straining too much?

Thanks

I just jump up and then slowly lower myself down. You could also use a chair or something to get up to the top, then lower yourself. Chins are probably the easiest exercise to do negatives for, they are also very effective, so good luck.

I position a bench under the bar and step up on to it after each eccentric rep so I am back at the top of the movement. Don't rush or jump too vigourously to get back to the top or you'll end up swinging all over the place. If you hang a weight from your waist then you need to ensure that the bench is not in the way as you lower to full extension or the weight will hit the bench, effectively removing the extra resistance.

Take about four secs to lower for each rep to begin with. Stop when you have completed your allocated reps or when you feel that you can't control your downward motion. HIT used to suggest about 8 seconds for each negative rep to begin with, but the loads were lighter, and at that tempo it's more like a static hold than a smooth lowering motion.

If you find your grip is causing you problems just use lifting straps, but if you can avoid them so much the better as your forearms will then get a good work out too.

All pretty straightforward stuff really. Hope it helps. Let us know how you get on with them.

Thanks for the good advice. I swear our gym's chin up bar is higher than a NBA ring making it hard for midgets like myself to reach doing normal chins. I will give the bench/chair idea a go, and yes I will post my results soon.
worship.gif

yeah, at the gym I go to I have to stand on a wooden platform to reach the chin bar. I also use a chair to get me to the top position.

I was under the impression it was recommended on this site to do negatives to a 2-3 second tempo rather than 4?

There really is little difference between 3-4 seconds. Do what you can. Once you get so heavy in negatives, it is going to be pretty much impossible to control the tempo anyway.

<div>
(style @ Feb. 21 2006,22:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was under the impression it was recommended on this site to do negatives to a 2-3 second tempo rather than 4?</div>

Esp. when in the second week of negs, I find if I start at about 4 seconds then by the 5th rep I can still get a controlled eccentric movement for around 2 seconds. If I get down to around a second I don't feel as if I am in control of the movement. So all of my neg reps fall between 4 and 2ish seconds. Feels good to me but your experience may be different.

Back