Why twice a day ?

jrwardle

I've read in a few places on the forum that lifting twice a day is the optimum approach to HST. Why is this so ? I'm considering moving to this split system (mostly because I have limited amounts of contiguous exercise time available) and was curious. Would I increase the number of sets (total) this way ? Right now I am in my second cycle, and am doing 12-16 sets, full body, compound exercises.

Thanks for any and all help !

Richard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] jrwardle
I've read in a few places on the forum that lifting twice a day is the optimum approach to HST. Why is this so ?

I have found IF you're trying to gain, you get to eat 2 after workout meals. This will help your gains without adding much fat.

IF your trying to loose fat, 2x a day will raise your metabolism and help with fat loss.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Would I increase the number of sets (total) this way ? Right now I am in my second cycle, and am doing 12-16 sets, full body, compound exercises.

I would not increase the number of sets just split (8 set am / 8 set pm)

Here's a link to faq
am / pm workouts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jrwardle @ April 09 2003,9:54)]Would I increase the number of sets (total) this way?
Yes. By lifting twice per day, you can either repeat the same workout in the PM, or split the body up into two halves. Either way, it allows you to do more sets per bodypart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ April 09 2003,4:11)]By lifting twice per day, you can either repeat the same workout in the PM, or split the body up into two halves. Either way, it allows you to do more sets per bodypart.
Hhhhhhmmmmmm
wow.gif
not the answer I was expecting...

I assume it would be wiser to work up to this... maybe double up on the compounds only for a few workouts.

Good timing for me! Just started my second week of fives (I plan four weeks this cycle by repeating weights a few extra times). I think I'm going to like this! :D

Thanks, Bryan!
worship.gif

More sets, yes, but I once screwed a HST completely by foolishly doubling total volume. Increase volume, but within reason.

I`m only doing a full body routine three times a week as in the HST sample http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html will HST still work for me as I don`t have time to do an AM/PM routine. The workout takes me about 65 minutes doing one or two reps per exercise using 14 exercises, I also do 30 mins of cardio on the two days I don`t lift... Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (iomega @ April 13 2003,10:48)]I`m only doing a full body routine three times a week as in the HST sample http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html will HST still work for me as I don`t have time to do an AM/PM routine. The workout takes me about 65 minutes doing one or two reps per exercise using 14 exercises, I also do 30 mins of cardio on the two days I don`t lift... Steve
Not many people have the time to do AM/Pm routines. Don't worry, the difference won't be that significant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ April 09 2003,3:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jrwardle @ April 09 2003,9:54)]Would I increase the number of sets (total) this way?
Yes. By lifting twice per day, you can either repeat the same workout in the PM, or split the body up into two halves. Either way, it allows you to do more sets per bodypart.

Let me see if I have this: if you do an AM/PM split, and you would normally do 2 sets squats in a single workout, you do 2 sets in both the AM and PM workouts?

If so, I thought it was that we weren't doubling the volume (like this is), we're just doubling the frequency, which means 1 set in the AM and the other in the PM.

Back