Front squat tecnique

boggy

I would like to switch to front squats mainly to avoid low back issues and target quads more.
The real problem is that I cannot find a safe and comfortable way to hold the bar.
I would need a detailed description of the exercise (smth like McRobert's description of back squats).
Can u give me an advice about this?

There are basically two different techniques
1) clean grip. basically do this as if you just cleaned the weight from the floor. As in this example remember to keep the elbows high
2) Cossack/Bbr style. Basically sit the weight on your shoulders and place your hands on the opposite shoulder as in this picture
Cossack is easier (i think anyway)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Sep. 24 2003,11:35)]There are basically two different techniques
1) clean grip. basically do this as if you just cleaned the weight from the floor. As in this example remember to keep the elbows high
2) Cossack/Bbr style. Basically sit the weight on your shoulders and place your hands on the opposite shoulder as in this picture
Cossack is easier (i think anyway)
BBr style is a lot more painfull to me. The clean grip is tricky in the beggining but afterwards it becomes pretty effortless. BBr style, on the other hand is always extremelly unconfortable to me. Hate it.
crazy.gif

put some straps around the bar and hold onto these. ie loop one strap around the bar for each hand.

so basicly your using a cleangrip but without the same flexibility requirements :)

The cross arm grip isn't very safe - don't recommend it, bar can slip out very easily.

hey Cool i'm dumb...
can you explain better?I have two straps that i used for deads for grip problems, how should i use them and how should I grab the bar?

I've used the BBr style myself, but I hate this exercise if it gets too heavy anyway. My mechanics puts me in a position where my upper body is angled, and having a bar on my chest equals more angle and all energy spent on trying no to fall forwards or drop the dang thing on my knees
crazy.gif

CoolColJ - where's the full screen version of the picture you use as an Avatar ?
wow.gif

Try "Zercher" squats. These are done by holding the bar with your arms in a curl position with the bar held at the inside of the elbows. I do these because I lack the flexibility in my wrists to do it "clean" style.

You can Practice on the Smith machine with a light to moderate weight till you feel comfortable with your form.

The real problem is that my quads and posterior chain are uncomparably stronger than my upper 'pushing' body (i hope what i wrote makes sense).To give you an idea I can deep squat over 110 kg for 5 reps (and I dont push more but i could) while I can only bench press 70kg. for about 4-5 reps (and max here is the same of over 1 year ago).

For this reason I need a decent weight to train quads but I cannot hold a barbell on my shoulders comfortably.

Back