15's - getting pumped with tiny weights

Singleton

I love lifting heavy weights.

But HST has me lift light for a good portion of the program.

Here's a what I've done to avoid crappy workouts with light weights:

1 - use a different tempo. Instead of 1-0-1, I might use 1-2-2
2 - breathe deeper
3 - use ultra-strict form
4 - do 3 sets instead of 2

When I get to heavy 5's and maximal training, I'll use a faster tempo, fewer sets, and lots of rest between sets.

What do you think?

Hi. I am a 57-year old guy. Knowing that my regeneration rate is pretty slow now, is it reasonable for me to train the same muscle groups 3 times a week?
Thanks for your opinions.

Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum. I'm 54, so I share your concern (actually, there are a number of us old-timers in here, so you're not alone). Anyway- I wouldn't worry too much about it- 3X/week should be just fine, because you're not going to failure each session. The progressive loading principle gets around the problems associated with too-frequent training at or near maxes to failure. Try it out as written in the FAQ- if you've not done HST before, it's best just to base your routine on Bryan's. Also, make sure you get enough rest and nutrition- these are key. Best wishes, and feel free to keep asking questions!
HTH!
Jake

I'm with Insane on this one, Singleton. I'd try doing fewer sets on the 15s (three sets when you get into the second week are gonna hurt, dude, and you could end up overtraining). You should consider increasing the sets in the 5s, not decreasing them, and watch your tempo on the eccentric phase- you say you plan to speed up on the 5s, but I wouldn't do it, unless it's to cheat on the concentrics on negatives you can't do with a partner. Also, on tempo on the 15s, I'd try this: 4-0-2. You want more time on the concentric phase in the 15s to maximize the burn. Actually, here's what I've been doing, and it seems to work well (for me, at least):
15s: 4-1-2
10s: 2-1-2
5s: 2-1-4
negs: 1-1-5

On some lifts, like standing calf raises, I'll pause for a count of 3 at the bottom before starting the concentric, per Kate's suggestion. It *really* works to help keep your form perfect!

Your comment about form is well-taken- it's absolutely essential to follow strict form throughout the entire macrocycle, but especially in the 15s, where it's so easy to get sloppy becuase you just want to get through them. Excellent point!
Jake

Back