Good info for women?

Sphinx

Hey all, I have a gf who is wanting to learn more about fittness and health. Unfortunately what little I know isnt what she looking for! LOL
She is looking for info on proper eating, training, supplementation, ect. Her goal is general fittness and strength, not hypertrophy specifically.
Im browsing thru the ThinkMuscle articles now and am fiding good info there. Does anyone else have links or suggestions?
Sphinx.

http://www.exrx.net/

Good links there specific to women if I recall correctly. Also do a search on the Internet for Mistress Krista's webpage. I forgot the link, but she's a female weight lifter/fitness buff whose page has a lot of good info geared specifically towards women.

Also have her do a search on Elzi Volk, she writes for many different online resources and has written a lot on female training, female nutrition and other items she might find interesting.

Right on! Thanks folks, Ill forward the info.
BTW, whats HST's own Kate's backgound? Maybe I could send her an IM.
Sphinx.

blush.gif
  Sorry to be so slow...  I really have nothing to add as far as further references.  The guys have done a great job so far, and a great deal of what I know about the science of growing muscles has come from reading and posting at this site.

What this question tends to do is send me off on rant  
crazy.gif

laugh.gif
  which I have done on several occasions and so will try to keep it short and sweet this time...

Almost without exception, every woman who joins a gym needs more muscle.  Almost without exception, not a single one wants it.  It's mostly about societal conditioning and lack of information... and can be very frustrating for trainers.  

From the 30 something who wants only to "tone" (what a ridiculous concept that is) to my 40ish client who squatted her way into those size 4 leather jeans (she looks great!! ) to the 50 something who lost two dress sizes without losing a pound (redistribution of the wealth) to the 60 year old Parkinson's patient who needs to learn how to get on and off a chair (squat lessons), my "girls" need muscle.

At some point, I gave up trying to convince clients that they needed more muscle and just helped them to grow some  
thumbs-up.gif
 On the rare occasion that there was some protest, I told them that 1) they were unlikely to have the right kind of hormones to get HUGE, and  2) if they ever did feel they had too much muscle, that muscle is a way too simple thing to lose...

Never has one of my "girls" asked to lose muscle once she is wearing the stuff.    
thumbs-up.gif

My advice to guys who would like to help their girlfriends in the gym:  Keep them away from the scale and don't let them spend too much time on the cardio equipment.  Give them "toning" exercises like one legged squats and weight assisted dips and chins.  They really can't know how sweet it is to be wearing female muscle until they have done it.  In the meanwhile, calm her fears and let her think she's toning   ;)

As to my background, that'll be in the next post.  Gotta refill the coffee mug first...
Here's to his and her hypertrophy!
Kate

My degree is in Journalism (a BA in BS). I am certified as a deep tissue massage therapist (14 years exp.) and as a fitness trainer (ten years). I do not subscribe to any particular technique, having had training in everything from trigger point therapy to ART to myofascial release.

I'm presently working soley as a massage therapist. My goal is to help bodies work better, and I sometimes describe my work as soft tissue surgery without a knife. I hope to get back into training others (more on the rehab end) as my maturing joints start to complain about this work.

Resistance training, performing massage and lots of reading have lead me to a very 3D picture of how musculoskeletal systems work and what makes them complain (injuries and/or pain). This site offers me the opportunity to share what I have learned, and in the explaining to understand things even better.
thumbs-up.gif

I love answering questions (albeit often with more questions) and try to keep up with my email. For the most part though, I'd prefer to spill my brains in public. ;)

Happy hypertrophy!
Kate

Thanks for the info Kate! Much appreciated.
I agree with you that most woman could use more muscle mass. She knows she needs to use the weights and needs more muscle, her goals dictate that.
What you said reminds of something I heard years ago: "If you look like a pear and all you do is aerobic exercise, in the end your just going to look like a smaller pear!" lol
Thanks Kate!
Sphinx.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ Feb. 28 2005,8:41)]http://www.exrx.net/
Good links there specific to women if I recall correctly. Also do a search on the Internet for Mistress Krista's webpage. I forgot the link, but she's a female weight lifter/fitness buff whose page has a lot of good info geared specifically towards women.
Krista's website is here:
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

It's loaded with info and you get the impression that krista really loves weight training and would be a very good inspiration to any woman geting into (or already into weight training).

that being said I also got alot out of the site (and I've been called at times a "red blooded alfa-male"
crazy.gif
) I'ts worded toward women reader, but the info is not necessarily all gnder specific

Back