Deadlifts

Jazzer

Hi all,
I've never really done deadlifts but I keep reading about how good they are for growth stimulation etc. I suppose I've avoided them because of worries over injuring my back. Anyway, I would like to try and bring in deads (not stiff legged ones, that really would kill my back) but I'm unsure how to implement them. Would I be best alternating workouts between squats and deads? And would I be right in thinking that hamstrings would be well covered without leg curls by doing this? I've always just stuck to squats and leg curls in the past.
Sorry for the noobie question.
Jazzer :)

Edit: Is there something wrong with this post? On the main page it looks to have had a reply but going into the post there is nothing?

make sure you use the proper form,but yes bring them into the workout they rock,i would start off very light and work up to a comfortable level,keep the back straight if you begin to arch put the weight down or you could do damage.unless you have medical issues you should never damage your back doing deads.good luck.

Hi mate,

I only started using deadlifts a few months ago and now it's my favourite exercise so i'd definitely recommend adding it to your workout. I checked out a lot of stuff on the net about form and also watched a couple of experienced deadlifters down the gym. I experimented with different leg spacings etc and it took a while to get really comfortable with the technique so I would start nice and light until you really get the hang of it. If there's anyone at the gym you can ask for help then do.

I alternate between deads and sl deads and do leg press rather than squats so if you'd rather do squats than sl deads then alternating squats and deads makes sense. I throw in extensions and curls in the sessions when I'm doing conventional deads.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for your replies.
I think in my original question I was confusing stiff legged and straight deads.
After doing a bit more searching I think I'm going to try and alternate between doing squats and SLDL's on workout A and deadlifts and leg curls for workout B.
The SLDL's are going to be very careful, very light as I have had lower back problems in the distant past and I am very stiff in the 'touching my toes' plane of motion.
Thanks again,
Jazzer :)

Yeah, you have to be careful with deadlifts in general. I had lower back pain with them (SLDL's) for the past two cycles. It may have been the weight... so you should ease into them with light weight.

If you've got lower back issues then I'm not sure alternating squats and sl deads is a good idea - a lot of strain for the lower back. That's why I do leg press instead of squats.

Cheers

Rob

What rob says has proven particularly true for me during the second week of 5s and for post 5s. At that stage in the cycle the weights are getting heavy and can really take their toll on your lower back.

For the 15s and 10s I didn't have a problem doing squats followed by SLDLs each session. I just about managed squats and SLDLs during the 5s (dropped one set of SLDLs) but now I'm on my post 5s I'm really starting to feel the strain. I have now dropped SLDLs after squats and I am going to alternate squats and deads while I can. If I find I still get too much grief from my lower back I will substitute negative leg-press for squats and alternate with deads until the end of the cycle.

Back