Curls

Crackerman

Is one bar better than the other, and do they hit the muscle in different ways?
Ive used both, and although the straight bar seems to place more strain on my wrists, it seems to give a better feel.
Cheers

Either will work. In fact you can switch mid-cycle from one to the other. If you want to use a bar, don't do something that hurts. No sense in tempting injury or discomfort.

BUT the best curl is an incline DB curl. More loaded stretch, at the bottom = good. See a common theme here? :D

Crackerman

I have used the straight bar before for cheat curls with 50 kgs, but I could defintely feel strain in the elbow area as well as the forearms.

I like using the E-Z for preacher curls, wide grip, gives one hell of a pump, then follow it up with incline alteranated d/b curls, at about 45 degrees or so, the stretch is grrrreat!
tounge.gif

There are so many dang variations on how to hit arms, I tried once a "home made" idea with cables and a small bar, bend yourself back to about 45 degrees or so, then bring your arms level with your ears and curl over the head, it hits the peak of the bicep quite nicely, another one is the Arnold curl with a d/b, bend over and let your arm hang straight then curl up nice and slow up to the shoulder without moving the top part of the arm, also hits the peak nicely.

Hope this helps!

Fausto

Find what works through trial and error. Only growth stim I can get with my bi's (bad genetics, little wrists, elbows etc.) is concentration durls and one arm curls in front of the body.

I agree with Fausto and jsraaf. Incline D/B curls are great!

Straight bar curls always give me problems with either my forearms or wrists so I never feel like I'm getting quite enough of a workout with it. I'm also finding that isolated type curls are best for me as well.

I continue to find the my biceps respond best to heavy straight bar curls. My training partner just started doing incline dumbbells, and I may add them in, but I'd be hard pressed to remove heavy curls from my training. I have never found that I responed particularly well to EZ curl preachers, but we're all a bit different :)

when you guys do your incline db curls do you rotate your palms as your curling or keep the palms up through the whole movement?

Back