Squat hurt lower back...

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by Louno, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Louno

Louno New Member

Hey i just started squatting, i can do 10 rep with 100lbs , its not that hard i feel i could go a bit heavier but at the end of my set my lower back kinda hurts, the kinda pain u get when going to failure... so in a way its my lower back that gives up before my quad/gluts etc...

so is this normal ?
    also is there some exercise that i can do to quickly gain strenght on my lower back , or should i just continu squatting and be careful not to go too heavy until my lower back catches up ?

2. faz

faz Active Member

sounds like poor form..you must be rounding your back at the bottom of the squat try putting a couple of plates under your heals..or just squat to parrallel..good luck :D

3. Joe G

Joe G New Member

I find that if I take time off from squating the first few sessions back my lower back will bother me a little too. I would just work through it if I were you. But remember it might take time the lower back (erectors) are the slowest healing muscle in the human body.

Joe G

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Hyperextensions are good for building lower back strength and work thru the ROM.

Deadlifts and BB Rows are also good.

Like any other muscle, you have to work it to make it stronger and grow...but you REALLY want to avoid an injury. So if it's a choice between pain and no pain then drop the squats.

5. Fausto

Fausto HST Expert

Louno

Whilst Jester's opinion is valuable, it may well be that your form is not too good as Faz indicated :confused:

I find that although ATG squats feel good maybe from a ego prespective, they tend to hurt my back quite a bit more than the normal squat.

When I squat I always use a plank (about 2 cm think not quite 1") under my heels and I seriously cannot and will not do squats with flat feet, this helps the form hugely [​IMG]

Also I use a elastic brace but before that with the heavier squats (200 pounds and more), I used a lifting belt, I feel it is just safer and keeps your back from getting hurt.

You'll find some guys saying no...belt is for sissies [​IMG] , just ignore as many of the best body builders in the world will use a belt, it is almost like pouring pure sulphuric acid without precautions like gloves, fume cupboard and possibly goggles [​IMG]

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

As far as belts go I think it's a case of:

Don't need it then don't use it. If it helps then DO use it.

7. Louno

Louno New Member

well I can now squat 110lbs 10 times, i go down and up but take a small pause when im up...
    I feel that its hard to progress, because unlike other parts like calves, u cant just give everything u got and lift super heavy... im trying to increase a few lbs per week...
    Is the squat effective even if i dont go down too much? i read that the lower u go the more it works ure glutes ( which i dont really want to work out )

8. littlelouie

littlelouie New Member

From is everything with squats. Stick your butt out liek you are getting a rectal exam at the bottom and you shoudl notice a huge difference. Concentrate more on keep ing your form thru the entire ROM and it will work wonders.

9. savagebeast

savagebeast New Member

My vote goes to bad form.

Excellent form is crucial for squatting because (a) it makes the lift easier, at least that's what I've found, and (b) it's safer. Here's a couple links to sites with good squatting info:

VERY detailed explanation of proper squat form

Mike Robertson - 10 Tips for Flawless Squattin'

Some good squatting pictures

From what you said, I'd guess that you're doing 1 or both of the following:

1. Not keeping your core (including your back) tight throughout the lift.
    2. Allowing your lower back to round at the bottom (picture 3 in the last link), and as a possible result of this you straighten out your legs but the bar doesn't move so you end up having to "rounded-back good-morning" it up the rest of the way. I know I've done this in the past, and it's definitely not good.

My advice is to really work on good form, especially keeping your back tight and arched throughout the entire lift and keeping your chest up. I can't stress the importance of good form enough. Work on it now to make sure you don't have injuries later.

Full squats shouldn't hurt your back if you keep your back properly arched the entire time. Also, just my opinion here, but unless you're super flexible there really isn't that much difference between a full squat and a parallel squat, where parallell squat is referring to the line connecting the knee to the top of the hip being parallel to the floor (picture 1 in the last link).

If you're looking for an excellent source of information on proper squat form, check out Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength."

10. Downward Spiral

Downward Spiral New Member

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Best investment you can make to learn the five core lifts: Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press, Clean.

11. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

Haha, but so true

I probably won't have my weight belt come in till when I start the 10's. Do you think it is alright if I go through the 15's (my 15RM is 5 lbs less than my BW) without it?

-Colby

12. Downward Spiral

Downward Spiral New Member

There's no need for a weight belt. Your core should be strong enough to support the weight, otherwise you're not ready for it. The only exception I could see is for 1 RMs. You may want that extra security then. For your 10's? Pfft, no way.

13. Don't know if it helps with normal squatting but I do front squats and it forces me to have good form. Basically, if you round your back, you will drop the weight. Pretty good incentive to keep things solid througout each rep. Haven't done a normal squat in nearly 7 months so I can't say what effect this has had on back squatting.

Anyone?