Changing Rep ranges

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by 2Ripped4U, Dec 11, 2005.

1. 2Ripped4U

2Ripped4U New Member

Now,I've read the basics on HST,but I need some help with the rep schemes.HST says to use 15,10,5 rep ranges,but I really don't like that range and personally never responded well to any of those ranges (besides 10).Now my question is could I switch the ranges from 15,10,5 to 12,10,8?-Which I've always gained best on...

2. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Sure you can do that, but really... you should go heavier than your 8 RM if you want to make good gains. I believe you should go all the way to negatives if you want growth.

3. 2Ripped4U

2Ripped4U New Member

Reccomend any rep ranges besides 15,10,5?

4. Totentanz

You don't even have to use rep ranges. I'm not using them during my current cycle. You could just start your cycle using a weight close to your 15 RM, increase it by 5-10% every workout and just cluster to the same number of reps.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

12, 8, 6, neg

12, 8, 4, neg

15, 8, 4, neg

12, 8, 3, neg

The high rep phase doesn't matter so much - 18 or 15 or 12 reps...this phase is for the joints, prepping them for heavier weights.

Def. include a range with 4-6 reps.

So then pick one in the middle, 10-7 reps...

The exact numbers don't matter.

Rep ranges are merely a way of accomodating the increase in load, and simultaneously providing some structure to the routine. 99% of ppl I've encountered who train desire structure - whether that's rep phases, 6-8 reps per set for everything, 5x5 lay out, cluster to 20 reps etc...

6. 2Ripped4U

2Ripped4U New Member

I just use them as a means of structering my program...HST seems to be pretty loose training wise

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Exactly my point :)

Pick rep ranges that let you spend 4+ weeks (ideally more than that) using weights ~ 6-7RM and higher

8. Downward Spiral

Downward Spiral New Member

Wouldn't counting total reps be ideal? Pick 25 reps. Pick a weight near your 15 RM. Do as many reps as you can in a set, stop just short of failure, break and go at it again. Never hit MMF, and go until you reach 25 reps.

Totentanz, how is this working for you, compared to a more structured 15-10-5 layout? Noticing better growth in any way? The same? Not as effective/fun?

9. Totentanz

Workouts take longer, but I'm actually less fatigued afterwards than typical. Growth seems to be more or less the same, but I'm still in the 10s. What I'm really looking forward to is the 5s and post5s.

10. Downward Spiral

Care to describe what your workout is like? Exercises, what rep range do you shoot for, do you increase load a constant 5-10% every session or do you make larger or smaller jumps at times, how long have you been going now while in the "10's" (though I don't see how you call it the 10's if you're not doing any rep ranges)?

11. Totentanz

Yeah, you're right, it's not really 10s. I'm using the loads that I would use in the 10 rep range right now, so I kinda still think of it as 10s. I've only been at it for a few weeks, planning to have it be a real long cycle. I'll be using my 10RM weights next time I increment, and then it's into the "5s" for a while. That should take another 3 weeks, unless I miss a workout or something. I'm only incrementing the weights used every third workout and making about a 10% jump each time, so I'm taking it kind of slow. After my 5 RMs, I'm going to just do negatives paired with high rep metabolic work. Clustering with loads that high would probably take a very long time if I kept trying to reach 20 reps...
    All this also depends on how my joints hold up. I started getting a lot of wrist pain last time I was doing negatives.

My current routine is:
    Deadlift
    Dips
    Chins
    Bentover Rows
    Military Press
    Though I'm considering changing it, since I just got some new equipment for christmas, including a squat rack/olympic bench combo, or I might just make a second routine and alternate, in which case I'll probably start incrementing every workout or every other workout instead.

12. Downward Spiral

How do you notice your chest and arms growing from dips and chinups? I notice there's no sort've benching in there.

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Benching is not required.

14. Downward Spiral

No, it's not, but it's typical of people to include it. I wanna know how he's doing with dips and OHP.

15. Totentanz

I haven't taken any tape measurements lately, though I will at the end of my cycle... but visually, there appears to be some growth. I usually see most growth once I've gotten closer to my 5 RM though. I haven't been doing bench for quite a while though, and since starting dips have actually seen more growth in my chest than ever before, especially after I started doing negatives.
    Chins beat the crap out of by arms, with deadlifting and rowing as well, I think they are getting worked over pretty well. They look bigger, but it could be in my head.

All that said, I'll probably end up adding in bench soon, since I have a good one now.