Impatient biceps...

Laurent

I've been training for around a year but i have never been able to increase much poundage on dumbbell curls, even with HST. I’m alright with the rest of the bodyparts and exercises, but bicep curls just dampens my mood everytime I fail to improve on it. The only improvements I made on biceps training is only on cambered bars, but I have heard that doing bicep curls on cambered bars don’t really target the biceps due to the wrists positioning.

I’m more interested in improving on incline curls and hammers. Is there anyway I can fix my problem or do I need to be more patient and stick with the current weight for a couple of cycles before increasing the poundage?

About the bars, I believe the consensus is; If you can use a straight bar, and not feel any pains, do so, as it targets the biceps more.

And about adding weight to the Barbell Curls, I too have some problems with that.
What I have found actually working is doing something more HITish. That is, go to failure(should probably save this for the 5's/negs), and next time, increase the weight by something like 5lbs.
Often, I can get 8reps with one weight, and not manage a single more rep. then i add 5lbs, and I can do 8 reps with that too.

Doesn't make sense to me, but it does work(for me atleast).
Hope that helps :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]five sets of heavy singles every day

i have problems with my bis too and I'm buying a pair of dumbels.I think i will try singles,
which load should I use?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Nov. 22 2003,3:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]five sets of heavy singles every day
i have problems with my bis too and I'm buying a pair of dumbels.I think i will try singles,
which load should I use?
I'd go with 90-95% 1RM. You could start lower than than an adjust to doing singles, first, though, with 80%, then 85%, and then 90%, etc.

How many sets do you do on your biceps?

I have gotten great results (+6/8" in the past 7 weeks) on only 2 sets. I alternate between Preachers, Inclined Hammers and DB curls (I do two sets of each, switching exercises every workout).

Thanks for the advice, guys... I guess i will go with HIT for dumbbell inclines and then incorporating HST only on straight barbells, doing them together for a max of 3 sets. Will do for a couple of cycles and hopefully get some positive results.

Thanks Baoh
I was thinking to start the "bis specialization" next cycle, I could train them normally a la hst in the gym adding db singles at home like you suggest after hitting my 5 rm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (boggy @ Nov. 23 2003,10:18)]Thanks Baoh
I was thinking to start the "bis specialization" next cycle, I could train them normally a la hst in the gym adding db singles at home like you suggest after hitting my 5 rm.
That seems like a good idea. You can always decondition later, after you've achieved significant strength increases (those singles will definitely make your muscles "tougher").

Back