A Question Regarding Trap Bar Deadlifts

ajntorinj

Should one be able to lift a greater amount of weight with a straight barbell versus a trap bar? At my university, where I train most days of the year, I use a trap bar. But I've come home recently on vacation, and my home gym only has a barbell. Much to my surprise, I lifted my trap bar max with the barbell quite easily. This was so surprising, because I switched from the barbell to the trap bar a year ago because I discovered then that I could lift more with the trap bar than the barbell. I am thinking that the trap bar deadlift requires more stablizers than the barbell deadlift, but I thought I'd check my theory with the group. Of course, this doesn't explain why I switched to the trap bar initially. Anyway, I'd appreciate any input on my experience. thanks!

Hhhmmmmm I wonder....

Might be neurological issues of some sort, balance perhaps? Maybe the trap bar somehow forced you into a stronger form, which is now ingrained and translated nicely to lifting the straight bar.

I have no idea really
laugh.gif
That was the wildest guess I could come up with...

Sounds good to me, Kate!

I've recently remembered another reason why I switched bars: the barbell scrapes the hair off of my shins, leaving a clearing in a dense forest. I don't know. I think I'm beginning to like the look now.

laugh.gif
For the most part my husband likes the results of my lifting, but he has a little trouble with the skinned shins and the (as he calls them) squat hickies.

Actually, I've never considered hair removal as a benefit of DLs. The things you learn at this site! :D

Wear shin guards. They work suprisingly well and wear through suprisingly fast ;-)

Back