Another newbie

Razien99

Ok i just joined up and im very new to lifting, just started before christmas weighing only 143lbs..now i have quite a few questions..
Ive never lifted before so my maxs are incredibly low, for example:
For rear delts im doing rear lateral db raises & for 15 reps i can only lift 2.5 kgs on each dumbell. Which would be 5.5lbs, so how am i supposed to create a decent increment from such a low number? Id have to start with no weight..and i dont see how this would do anything for me.
sad.gif

And dips & chins i can only just do 15 reps using my bodyweight...so how am i supposed to create any progressive overload for the first 2 weeks...unless i do less reps..but surely that wouldn't produce much lactic acid. I dont currently have access to a gym..so i have nothing that could assist me in these exercises.
Also im currently doing dumbell squats, is there a big difference between these and barbell squats other than being able to hold more weight with a barbell ? I do have a barbell but as im working out at home & still looking to increase my flexability & form on squats..im doing dumbell squats for the time being. hmmm
Ok thats all i have for now, ill continue to look around the site..thanks for any help.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so how am i supposed to create a decent increment from such a low number? Id have to start with no weight..and i dont see how this would do anything for me.
sad.gif

The rule of thumb is to start off at 70% of your RM for a given exercise. If it is 2.5 kgs, then start off with 1.5 kgs and do:

1.5, 1.5, 2.0, 2.0, 2.5, 2.5

If you do not have those DB's, then do 2.5 all the way through... or even find something else you can lift that is lighter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And dips & chins i can only just do 15 reps using my bodyweight...so how am i supposed to create any progressive overload for the first 2 weeks...unless i do less reps..but surely that wouldn't produce much lactic acid. I dont currently have access to a gym..so i have nothing that could assist me in these exercises.

You don't have an assisted machine, so either:

A) do the 15 reps all the way through
B) increment by one rep each day:
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Once you hit the 10's, you can add weight.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also im currently doing dumbell squats...

DB vs BB... do whatever you want as long as you are doing the exercise correctly.

Hopefully that helped..

-Colby

Ok cheers for helping out.
Would i use the 70% rule of thumb on all exercises?
For my bi's 15 RM i have 7.5kgs...70% of that is 5.25kg...so how would i create any decent increments? for 6 days that would mean an increment of around .40kg = just under 1lb. Where as ive read that i should create increments of 5lbs for smaller bodyparts & try 10lbs for larger ones. So am i doing my maths wrong, or is it just a case of needing smaller increments because im new to it all.
In terms of rear delts ill do what you said. Lowest weights i have are 1.25kg then 2.5kgs. Ill find something in the house lighter than the 1.25 and do that for 2 days..then 1.25 for 2 days..then 2.5kgs for 2 days. Will these weights be heavy enough to induce hypertrophy? From what ive read its just a matter of my muscle tissues conditioning..so though the weights arent heavy..they should apply some stress to my muscle ? Just trying to make sure im taking things in right.

Forget the lateral raises and hit only compounds with a barbell, that will allow you to use the most weight for each body part. Do squats, deadlifts, bench, bent row, dips, chins, power cleans and standing presses. A lot of people split them into A & B workouts i.e., A: squats, bench, row, press; B: deadlift, dip, chin, press.

Razien99

Welcome to HST.

Ah...good ol'Liege got it in the bull's eye, forget the isolations now dude, use the compounds to get some meat on your frame. :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And dips & chins i can only just do 15 reps using my bodyweight...so how am i supposed to create any progressive overload for the first 2 weeks...unless i do less reps..but surely that wouldn't produce much lactic acid. I dont currently have access to a gym..so i have nothing that could assist me in these exercises.

For 15's do with body weight, many guys can't even do 5 with bodyweight, others use an chin-assist or dip-assist machine, so KUDUS TO YOU MATE!
laugh.gif

Forget progression till the 10's, add maybe 5 kg and progress to 10 during the 10's, then 15 - 20 during the 5's, whatever you can lift added to you. If you can add anything, use one set of pulldowns and progress there!

Hope you came right
thumbs-up.gif

Back