running + strength training

microserf13

hi all,
i have been training on and off for a few months now but i now caught a running bug and am training for a 10k race. is it possible to combine strength training and running. i know its a tall order but i want to at least maintain current muscle mass and if possible gain some upper body strength. help

Strength training is certainly possible, it will make whatever muscle you have stronger. HST will also help to retain as much muscle as possible, but it all depends on how competitive you want to be. If you plan to run 10K on a permanent basis and train seriously for events, I wouldn't hope for much. The amount of running required is prohibitive for muscle maintenance. I mean, look at 10K runners...

hi mimic, thanks for the feedback
just finished ready randy's post quite an interesting thread you guys got there.
yeah i agree running 10k on a permenent basis will not help me gain mass - i actually plan to periodize running - confining it only to the running season.
HIIT training - very interesting
will reevaluate my program thanks

Eat and eat. And monitor volume overall. Research shows that you can do both quite successfully, but you wont grow as good as without the running.

As for catching the running bug,

I hope theres a cure for that :)

The very same thing occurred to me last year - catching the running bug that is. I too started off with a couple of 10k races, then decided the ultimate challenge would be a marathon, which I trained for and completed. So, did I weight-train whilst running?

At first, yes, as I built up the milages. But before long running 5-8 miles 3 times a week then up to 20 miles on a Sunday becomes far too taxing whilst still lifting. Not to mention the change in diet - to run you need to stock up on those carbs in serious quantities, and this just doesn't work when only lifting, when a great deal of your calories have to come from proteins.

In the end I gave up the lifting until after the race, then took a month off ALL exercise - now that is serious SD time. :) I'm back into the HST now, and do short runs (up to 3miles)either after my workout or on in-between days. I lost about 20lb through the intensive marathon training (5 months), and went down to single-figure bf% for the first time ever. Sure, I lost a good deal of muscle mass, but now I am building on a much fitter, stronger and aesthetically pleasing frame.

Running IS a bug, and not one I can ignore I am afraid. Dependant on your goals it CAN complement HST (or any weight training). You just need to define the goals clearly...

;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Philboy @ Sep. 03 2003,10:20)]Not to mention the change in diet - to run you need to stock up on those carbs in serious quantities, and this just doesn't work when only lifting, when a great deal of your calories have to come from proteins.
As a runner I can't see your weight being too heavy especially with single digit BF and a 20 pound weight loss. Even at 1g/lb BW this can only be a small percentage of your caloric balance. If you continue to run at these chronic levels keep that protein up regardless of your other macro ratios.

Back