WeightLifting And American Football

Lotfi

Hi, i'm 15 years old since 2-3 week, and, 6feet 190 pounds approximatly, and i'm playing american football, and doing weightlifting, and i want to know, if i can do football or weightlifting during this training, because, i have 2 or 3 football practice by week and a match and 2 or 3 of weightlifting, so, 2 or 3 football practice, and 2 or 3 weightlifting practice, (for a maximum of 5 practice by week) and 3 practice of this program, after the football practice, that will be too much practice? or it will be ok?
I Know that based on recuperation... but it's not the same muscle sollicited, no? And i'm not doing this during a whole years...the football end in december so....

Thanks you all, but as you can see, i'm not english... ;) so sorry i'f it's hard to understand... Thank You all once again!

I played thru college and one year of pro ball and I always found it very hard to train properly during the season. In fact, I even came down with mono while trying to train 3-5 days per week while still practicing and playing games. I found I could only train with weights once per week during the season to maintain my strength, then work on actually building muscle (and do a full blown HST routine) in the off season. Perhaps your body will respond differently, but that is what I found. Good luck!

You cant usually push maximally with in-season training because you are doing too much of everything else to do it without failing

this is interesting

J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Feb;17(1):109-14. Related Articles, Links

Strength changes during an in-season resistance-training program for football.

Hoffman JR, Kang J.

Department of Health and Physical Education, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, New Jersey 08628, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of both intensity and volume of training during a 2 d.wk(-1) in-season resistance-training program (RTP) for American football players. Fifty-three National Collegiate Athletic Association Division III football players were tested in the 1 repetition maximum (1RM) bench press and 1RM squat on the first day of summer training camp (PRE) and during the final week of the regular season (POST). Subjects were required to perform 3 sets of 6-8 repetitions per exercise. Significant strength improvements in squat were observed from PRE (155.0 +/- 31.8 kg) to POST (163.3 +/- 30.0 kg), whereas no PRE to POST changes in bench press were seen (124.7 +/- 21.0 kg vs.123.9 +/- 18.6 kg, respectively). Training volume and training compliance were not related to strength improvement. Further analysis showed that athletes training at >or=80% of their PRE 1RM had significantly greater strength improvements than athletes training at <80% of their PRE 1RM, for both bench press and squat. Strength improvements can be seen in American football players, during an in-season RTP, as long as exercise intensity is >or=80% of the 1RM.

J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Aug;17(3):561-5. Related Articles, Links

Comparison between linear and nonlinear in-season training programs in freshman football players.

Hoffman JR, Wendell M, Cooper J, Kang J.

Department of Health and Exercise Science, College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ 08628, USA. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to compare linear (LT) with nonlinear (NL) in-season training programs in freshman football players during the course of 2 separate seasons. During the first year (n = 14, mean +/- SD = 177.3 +/- 4.8 cm, 88.0 +/- 9.7 kg), the LT program was employed 2 days per week. In the second year (n = 14, 175.0 +/- 7.1 cm, 94.2 +/- 20.5 kg), a 2 days per week LT was used. Subjects were tested for maximal strength in the squat (1 repetition maximum [1RM]) and bench press (1RM) exercises. A significant improvement in 1RM squat was seen in LT, but not in NL. No significant improvement in 1RM bench press was seen in either group. A significant difference between LT and NL was observed in Delta1RM squat (13.8 +/- 7.4 kg compared with 1.6 +/- 2.6 kg, respectively). Results of this study suggest that LT may be more effective in eliciting strength gains than NL in freshman football players during an in-season training program.

usually means

Linear = progressive decreases in volume and intensity. I think in the second examples they went down in reps every two weeks. So it could be smething like sets of 10-12 for 2 weeks, sets of 8 for two weeks then sets of 5 for two weeks

non-linear means they performed the same rep ranges in a non-linear approach. So each week they would perform 10-12, 8s and 5s (dunno if thats the exact reps they used in the study, just a representation) for the entire 6 week period

Back