HST and Dieting

Thanks Dan, very interesting. I will certainly buy the myotape, not so sure if I understand what you mean with the mirror/grease pen, though.

Exactly where should I measure my wasit? Is it considered right below the belly button, or right over it?

Thanks again for the advice.

You want to measure you abdomen right above your hip bone. That should put the tape near your belly button.

Keystone

Here's the thing, if you are merely interested in losing weight then a scale is fine, if you are interested in recompositioning your body then a myotape and mirror are better.

Mirror explained

Affix the full length mirror to the wall.

Put a mark on the floor where you will stand each and every time.

WIth someone to your side have them mark with the grease pen on the mirror where your outine is for the shoulders, waist, abs, thighs.

This gives you a visusal cue to your progress and also represent what others will see and notice.

Actually your waist is under your last rib(the narrowest portion of your torso), your abs are at your beltline, inline with your navel, or just above or below depending on where you wear your pants. If you wear them under your armpits then.........Get a Life.

Anyway wherever the greastest compositional change needs to happen (waist vs abs vs hips) this is what you should mark.

OK Im back. I experimented working out with my diet and not working out with my diet. This is weird. Maybe some of you have answers.

With the same exact diet the following happened.

WHEN i WORKED out with my diet for a month (HST) I didnt lose weight. I actually gained a pound.

When I just did my diet without doing HST and just did Cardio I lost weight.

What can be happening here
rock.gif

Thanks!

<div>
(BigL @ Jun. 06 2006,09:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OK Im back. I experimented working out with my diet and not working out with my diet. This is weird. Maybe some of you have answers.

With the same exact diet the following happened.

WHEN i WORKED out with my diet for a month (HST) I didnt lose weight. I actually gained a pound.

When I just did my diet without doing HST and just did Cardio I lost weight.

What can be happening here  
rock.gif

Thanks!</div>
What do the mirror and tape tell you visually? Any changes? Positive or negative? What Dan said is correct.

Sorry got in here kind of late, but in regards to what Tot was saying. I've had this argument quite a few times myself, but I thought you might find this article interesting in regards to weight loss and weight gain.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=628588

It talks about energy balance and weight loss/weight gain and gives 3 case studies that don't conform with the normal way of thinking about gaining muscle and losing fat.

I was wondering what your guys take was on this. Is John just crazy or is it easier than we previously thought to loss fat and gain muscle at the same time?

I don't see anything unusual in his examples. We've got a woman who cuts down, loses a little muscle and a lot of fat - big deal. That happens all the time with people who train. He didn't really describe her activities much, but she must have been doing weight lifting to have retained so much lean mass.
Then you have a big fatty who obviously hasn't touched a weight in his life. Of course he's going to gain lean mass and lose fat when he finally starts eating decently and picks up some weights. The third one doesn't seem like anything real special either. The only ones who gained muscle were the guys who were somewhat fat to begin with. I'm pretty certain that the diet for the third guy doesn't describe his typical diet, just what he was doing to try to lose weight before he hired Berardi. Obviously you can't get to 19% bodyfat on 1500 calories a day and maintain it - not at that weight anyway. Maybe if he was 150 lbs, then sure...

BTW, I'm not saying any drugs were involved, but when he says 'no steroids' I think we all know that there are tons of other drugs besides steroids that one could use to achieve these sorts of results.

Back