new routine

faz

i have decided to try training(weights) twice a week..i am staying with the HST principals because i think they work...i am going to do 2 fullbody workouts alternating 2 sets of exercises a) routine mon)..b) routine thur)..sticking with mostly basic compounds.
looking at RBE and listening to some of the info on dans site i beleive it can last longer than we think...
i am going to use my max weights for 15s 10s 5s i never go to complete faliure only in the post 5s.
if i use the same weight 4 times this will give me a total of 16wks.
another alternative i was thinking about was instead of stopping short of faliure on reps do it on sets.
so i would start on my 15rm and do as many sets as possible on each exercise stopping 1set short of faliure.
so i might start doing 5sets of 15 reps for 2wks
add weight 4sets 2wks
add weight 3sets 2wks
add weight 5 sets of 10 reps 2wks
add weight 4sets 2wks
add weight3sets 2wks
add weight 5sets of 5 2wks
add weight 4 sets 2wks
add weight 3sets 2wks
then carry on with max weights for another couple of weeks or more..
which method do you think is best and what type of cardio should i do on the of days
hiit ..long steady cardio..or both
appreciate the info guys  :D

Well of course 3 times a week would be better but that is stating the obvious. However I like the idea of 2 times a week especially for a busy man. So please let me know how it goes....shoot me a pm if you can.

As for advice I would just do 2 things stick with compounds, up the volume as much as you can handle and space your days far apart in that 7 day span. With only 2 days you can handle more volume.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Well of course 3 times a week would be better but that is stating the obvious

I'm guessiing that faz is deliberately doing twice a week as he has been looking at studies etc on dan's site which show little benefit to training three times over training twice a week....

faz - in terms of using your rep maxes, why not progress in the usual manner but instead of doing say 5 reps with the first sesssion of 5s do 1-2 short of failure, so it might be 8. In effect you'll be getting away from the 15-10-5 thing and doing more like a 15-13-11-10-8-6-5-4-3-2 thing (starting from your 15rm). You can add more sets rather than reducing them as you go along and therefore you wouldn't be reducing the amount of work you're doing (you can also add some lighter sets to keep the total rep count the same.

just some ideas

cheers

rob

Ahh I gotcha rob.

I got a little confused I though he ment HST just twice a week.

Yeah Now that I definalty understand please let me know how this routine goes.

Also if you dont mind post the routine in this thread so we can have a look.

I like dans info over there...I have considered trying this as well at some point.

sorry for late reply guys been away..rob the reason i am staying with my maxes is to keep the muscle under tension for longer...and joe i am still doing hst fullbody but only twice a week and extending it for 16wks..i am working out the routine this week and starting next week..soon as i have done it i will post it..on the of days i am thinking about some tabbatta..hiit..and steady cardio.cheers for the replys guys.

new routine

a)tues b)thur

squats leg-press
smith machine-incline bench deadlifts
wide-grip-pulldowns d.b.incline-bench
clean+jerks chins
seated-cable-rows cable-rear-laterals
dips 1 set dips 1 set
d.b.curls 1 set d.b.hammer-curls 1 set

2 sets of 15 4wks
3 sets of 10 4wks
5 sets of 5 4wks

keep you informed how its going

started on   B) routine today tried last week but had gastrics and was to week...it went OK but think i might have rotator cuff problems couldnt do db bench to sore..think i might visit a sports physio if it carries on...think i will do some hiit tommorow and thursday and  A) routine friday
biggrin.gif

had some doms this morning not much mostly in the abs. suprising as i only did 20 crunches each side and 20 front..shows how much we use the core muscles doing compounds...did hiit this morning punchbag and step..
bag 2mins
step 2mins
bag 2mins
step 2mins
bag 2mins
step 2mins
bag 2mins
step 2mins
bag 2mins
step 2mins no rest
then 10 mins on treadmill
might try some steady cardio with some tabbatta tommorow
biggrin.gif

BTW didnt have any protein left yesterday or today should arive soon..so pre workout i had a glass of milk and a banana..and post workout i had a good old english breakfast..bacon, sausage, mushrooms,tomatoes,eggs,all grilled of course
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ Feb. 03 2006,04:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i have decided to try training(weights) twice a week..i am staying with the HST principals because i think they work...i am going to do 2 fullbody workouts alternating 2 sets of exercises a) routine mon)..b) routine thur)..sticking with mostly basic compounds.
looking at RBE and listening to some of the info on dans site i beleive it can last longer than we think...
i am going to use my max weights for 15s 10s 5s i never go to complete faliure only in the post 5s.
another alternative i was thinking about was instead of stopping short of faliure on reps do it on sets.
so i would start on my 15rm and do as many sets as possible on each exercise stopping 1set short of faliure.
add weight 4sets 2wks
add weight 3sets 2wks
add weight 4sets 2wks
add weight3sets 2wks
add weight 4 sets 2wks
add weight 3sets 2wks
which method do you think is best and what type of cardio should i do on the of days
appreciate the info guys  
biggrin.gif
</div>
I wouldnt resommend to do less sets over the program,
more like increase the amount as your tolerance goes up. And to allow better EC recovery (clustering). Unless the five reps is only a sort of cruising (depending on how much you increase the weights). I know this wasnt what you asked for, so just disregard it if you already have considered it. And you dont like the interference in the tread
smile.gif

<div>
(epsilon @ Mar. 08 2006,17:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Feb. 03 2006,04:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i have decided to try training(weights) twice a week..i am staying with the HST principals because i think they work...i am going to do 2 fullbody workouts alternating 2 sets of exercises a) routine mon)..b) routine thur)..sticking with mostly basic compounds.
add weight 4sets 2wks
add weight 3sets 2wks
add weight 4sets 2wks
add weight3sets 2wks
add weight 4 sets 2wks
add weight 3sets 2wks
appreciate the info guys  
biggrin.gif
</div>
I wouldnt resommend to do less sets over the program,
more like increase the amount as your tolerance goes up. And to allow better EC recovery (clustering). Unless the five reps is only a sort of cruising (depending on how much you increase the weights). I know this wasnt what you asked for, so just disregard it if you already have considered it. And you dont like the interference in the tread
smile.gif
</div>
ok mate i dont mind you giving advice no problem but i have decided to do this on advice from dkm
Posted on: Feb. 24 2006,16:04        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
new routine

a)tues                                                                         b)thur

squats                                                                         leg-press
smith machine-incline bench                                           deadlifts  
wide-grip-pulldowns                                                   d.b.incline-bench
clean+jerks                                                                      chins
seated-cable-rows                                                     cable-rear-laterals
dips 1 set                                                                        dips 1 set
d.b.curls 1 set                                                          d.b.hammer-curls 1 set

2 sets of 15 4wks
3 sets of 10 4wks
5 sets of 5 4wks

just going into my 5th week of 15s..decided to do 5wk cycles have increases the weight on some exercises and not on others..am doing more cardio slow steady,hiit,tabata,my fitness has gone up which i think helps with the weights sessions..and i am losing fat which is
cool.gif
let you know how the tens go..
biggrin.gif

Faz

I have tried the 2xweek thing and it can work, why it did not work for me was that the frequency was too low.

You seem to be going in the right track!

Keep &quot;inroading&quot; just short of failure as you have extra recuperation time, you should benefit form it, tell us how you do!

cheers fausto..agree about the frequency which is why i am staying close to faliure..and keeping the volume more or less equal throughout..the other thing with training 2x a wk is if i dont fancy a weights session on monday i can just do it tuesday
cool.gif
and you look forward to the sessions even more
biggrin.gif

Back