Vinegar for Better Glycogen Repletion?

Does Balsimic Vinegar work? My grandmother used to drink a tablespoon a day for "good health". I always thought it was more a wives tale than anything else. Guess it's not necessarily so (a wives tale).

re: balsamic vinegar - if it has acetic acid in it, it'll work (well, it'll work insofar as we think this stuff works. Bear in mind it's all fairly hypothetical at this point).

I find this thread to be very interesting and exciting considering I am prepping for my first bb comp of the season. Replenishing glycogen after workouts can be tough on low carb days, but maybe vinegar is just the thing I need. I'll give it a shot. If it turns out that it does help, then it will be part of my prep for the last few days before the show when I carb load as well.

Oh, incidentally, although acetic acid is the stuff that makes this all work, I would strongly discourage folks from trying to use straight acetic acid. Your taste buds will not like you if you do. Stick with vinegar.

Why are people taking a whole tablespoon vinegar when it's only 4ml/100g carbs? And why only post-workout? Why not with every carb meal? pH could still be brought up by taking citrates or whatever before bed and in the morning pre-workout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ruhl @ April 02 2004,5:40)]Why are people taking a whole tablespoon vinegar when it's only 4ml/100g carbs? And why only post-workout? Why not with every carb meal? pH could still be brought up by taking citrates or whatever before bed and in the morning pre-workout.
isn't the 4ml pure acedic acid (where the houshold stuff is pretty watered down (otherwise you would hurt your throat), making a tablespoon the equivalent of 4 ml ? (I could be wrong, please correct me ! )
and people (well at least some) DO take it with every (carb-)meal.
/edit, let me correct myself:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The concentration of acetic acid was 0.2 gm per 100 gm of food ingested. Regular household vinegar is about 5% acetic acid. To get 0.2 gm of acetic acid you would need to drink 4.0 grams of vinegar. Vinegar's density (1.0056 g/cm3) is about like that of water, so drink 4 cc per 100 grams of food.
If you are carb loading before an event, you could take in 4cc for each 100 grams of carbs you eat.
as Blade stated in: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....31;st=0

1 tablespoon would be about 15 cc.

So a teaspoon, would be around 5CC, would the extra CC make a diference? Good or Bad.

Also I am a bit confused, even after reading the whole thing, what does the buffering do exactly?

Lastly now that this is old news, who has tried it for any length of time and did it impact anything?

Biz, Blade?

Been searching around the old forum posts, found this all about vinegar.

Is there any new findings or reasons for me to believe it's worth messing around with?

Thanks alot,
Lance

I was trying it with massive carb loads - UD2 mass version
and it help ;)
I was holding a little less water after that :D

not more not less

Resurrecting an old thread to see if there are any updates as to how people are doing using the vinegar as a glycogen loading agent? I for one fell off the bandwagon, and not out of poor results, just forgot to take it.

Trying to get new info. Reading Biz' link in the new avant labs thread, I dug back into this, will have to give it try, but I'm still curious.

Aaron, Blade, Jules

Anything new to this?

Interesting to say the least.

Since starting my 5th cycle I`m trying vinegar again. Will post the results in a few weeks.

On a related note;
Although the body`s efficiency discounts the PH effect as pointed out earlier in this thread, a couple months back I had wicked heartburn. I took about 3 or 4 tablespoons of cider vinegar and literally in seconds the acid indigestion dissapeared. Haven`t been able to try this since as I don`t normally have indigestion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ttboyy2k @ May 18 2005,7:37)]Does anyone here know if acetic acid is found in lemon and or lime juice too?

I don't know if they contain acetic acid. My guess would be no.

However, they do contain citric acid, and this has been shown to have a similar effect on glycogen repletion as the acetic acid in vinegar. I don't know how the two compare as far as how well they work and how much is needed, though. Also, you would have to know how much acetic acid is found in a lemon/lime/orange.

Here is a study about glycogen repletion in rats that compares acetic acid and citric acid: Effect of acetate on glycogen replenishment in liver and skeletal muscles after exhaustive swimming in rats

If you click on the thing that says "PDF [113 KB]" you can view the whole study.

I found potasium bicarbonate on the web from a vineyard supply house. It is cheap. Wine makers use it to change the acidity in wine. I figure it is better than Baking Soda.

Bob

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Mar. 01 2005,10:30)]Resurrecting an old thread to see if there are any updates as to how people are doing using the vinegar as a glycogen loading agent? I for one fell off the bandwagon, and not out of poor results, just forgot to take it.
Also very interested in hearing everyone's results - esp combined with when & with what foods the vinegar was taken.

I have been researching the benefits of the traditional Mediterranean diet for fat-loss/muscle-growth, so this is right up my alley. Anyone up for a salad with some oil & vinegar?
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Falco @ May 23 2005,11:28)]Anyone up for a salad with some oil & vinegar?  
thumbs-up.gif
Just had one, with steak, mashed potatoes and green beans. Plus 3 St. Paulies Girls, 1 Heinenkin and 1 Bittburger (head swimming a bit right now), both my son's are in for my wife's birthday. So we had a small party this evening.

i've been experimented with the vinegar for the last couple of weeks, and after taking a couple tablespoons with water before my post workout carbs/protein (malto + whey) drink i have notice that muscles do look fuller. workouts have been pretty easy too, though i don't know if that has anytihng to do with the vinegar. i'd like to know what have been people's results regarding fat gain/loss while taking acetic acid.

i just finished my 10s, and i gained a little under 7lbs so far. i gained 1/4" in my arms, and my calves look noticeably more muscular, though measures haven't changed. however, i fear i'm gaining too much fat. so maybe the vinegar's not working for me in that aspect. i'm eating clean, and i doubt i'm eating over 500 cal above maintenance, so i guess the case is either that my body fat is already too high to begin with or i'm too old to gain muscle at a decent rate without gaining a lot of fat. :confused:

i'm not sure what body fat i am right, but i have a slimguide caliper, and supposing i'm taking my measurments correctly, i'm about 13,5%, with measurements being 22mm for abs, 15 for quads and 5 for pecs. i do think i look fatter than that though.

To throw in some food for thought, I've been taking 2 tbsp before every meal (5 meals a day). I've noticed a much tighter, fuller feeling in my muscles. I have an average bodyfat (no six-pack, slight abs after a shower and training), and yet when you touch any muscle on me (since I started doing this), it feels like it's flexed. Used to have more of a soft feeling.

Also, bodyfat and weight has remained generally the same for some time now, so I doubt it's due to a loss of fat or addition of muscle - haven't been eating enough to support growth. Right around maintenance.

Back