50 lbs of protein powder for $145

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy741 @ June 16 2004,12:52)]I saw this the other day and I was wondering if anyone here has gotten it? Is this quality protein? http://www.blackstarlabs.com/?cPath=21&products_id=181
I'm not sure how many servings it totals. Does anyone know how much it comes out to per 20 grams of protein?
If the protein is okay then the prcing is excellent. Think about Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey selling for 20-25 bucks for a five pounder, and that's a good price. 145 for 50 lbs ain't a band deal at all, far from it.

Looks like plain Whey Protien Concentrate to me. I'd be leary of this.

Here is an excerpt from the Protein Factory:
"WPC is the most commonly used source of whey protein, used by over 99.5% of supplement companies. WPC is higher in fat, carbs, and lactose than WPI, which results in less assimilation by the stomach and intestines. Therefore, many users of WPC report bloating and gas with supplementation. Many also consider WPC as the economical source of whey protein and great for athletes with low budgets or those who require high amounts of protein per day. WPC is typically used by college, high school, and beginner to intermediate bodybuilders.

WARNING!!
When purchasing WPC, remember to use a simple calculation to determine the amount of protein on is receiving per serving. The Protein Factory utilizes 80% protein. Divide the amount of protein per serving by the serving size. For example if the serving size is 22 grams and the amount of protein is 16.5 grams, it gives you 77% protein.

Seventy-seven is the average of protein per serving of WPC. It is good but not great. With a 77% protein ratio, it means for every 4 lbs. of WPC one buys, they are getting only 3 lbs. of actual protein, the rest is garbage."

Staxx

by the same token, WPI is typically 85% so that means that for a 4lb tub you get only 3.4lbs the rest being garbage.
WPI gives you only 8% extra protein yet you have to pay a lot more than 8% extra for it.

nothing wrong with WPC!

Let's go through the math:
1 lbs = 455g
455 x 50lbs = 22,750g
WPC is 78% Protein
22,750g x .78 = 17,745g
17,745g/20g serviing = 887.25 servings
$145 + $15 shipping = $160
$160/887.25 servings = $.18/serving
It comes in a huge lined bag, plan on spending time (20 minutes) breaking up the raw protein into the provided 5lb zip lock bags to maintain freshness, flavor later. IMO, there is not enough flavor provided, it needs to be doubled. Provided there is enough flavoring it taste outstanding. For a cost effective night protein I combine 50/50 with HSN driver.

Stevie,
The quality isolates are more in the 95% range. If the WPC works for you... great!! Personally, it tears my stomach up so I would never buy a product that consists mainly WPC.

Staxx

Back