DHEA - effects on body composition

Vaymigade

"In one study conducted by D. Jakubowicz and colleagues, 22 men took 300 mg of DHEA nightly for 30 days. They observed an average 27% fall in insulin levels. They also found an 89% increase in IGF-1 (a powerful hormone with multi-faceted effects, most notable its growth hormone-like effects on body composition), a 14% decrease in body fat, and a 7.8% increase in lean body mass."

I dont know if this has been discussed before....does anyone think its valid?

I think I read something like that before, I'm not sure where and I really can't remember, all I'm pretty sure of is it wasn't at Pubmed or some university journal.

I'll try looking for it while taking a look at the site Noobie posted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vaymigade @ Aug. 12 2005,3:44)]"In one study conducted by D. Jakubowicz and colleagues, 22 men took 300 mg of DHEA nightly for 30 days. They observed an average 27% fall in insulin levels. They also found an 89% increase in IGF-1 (a powerful hormone with multi-faceted effects, most notable its growth hormone-like effects on body composition), a 14% decrease in body fat, and a 7.8% increase in lean body mass."
I dont know if this has been discussed before....does anyone think its valid?
I'm not sure where you got that, but I am unaware of any study done by Jakubowicz that used that protocol or obtained those results.

I can also say that I have never heard of such dramatic effects of DHEA in my years of researching DHEA. I get the impression someone is trying to sell you DHEA.

I should add however that the 7-oxo form of DHEA (a.k.a. 7-keto DHEA) does posses very promising properties relating to metabolic rate and perhaps thyroid activity.

yes that's what i also heard about 7-keto; I had been taking 25mg of regular DHEA for the last few years, mainly age related for me at 58 and in last 6 months changed to a different brand with each serving 50mg, so i started doing this 1xday. I noticed some slight depression with the higher dose; anyways I am switching to 7-oxo and was wondering what the recommendation/day was.
Thanks

I guess this isn't the best place to take scientific citings for granted but i was looking at AST DHEA product and it mentioned that ""In one study conducted by D. Jakubowicz and colleagues, 22 men took 300 mg of DHEA nightly for 30 days. They observed an average 27% fall in insulin levels. They also found an 89% increase in IGF-1 (a powerful hormone with multi-faceted effects, most notable its growth hormone-like effects on body composition), a 14% decrease in body fat, and a 7.8% increase in lean body mass."

Here is the link

http://www.ast-ss.com/Products/ProductPage.asp?ProdID=12

I know that some people think that this is marketing hype or what not but in asking this question is was assuming that any fudging of the numbers from this study would tantamount to fals e advertising.

Back