deadlift and squat techniques

robefc

Hi everyone,

As a result of splitting my routine into 3 different workouts and needing a 3rd exercise to alternate with deadlifts and sl deadlifts I have finally succumbed to squats...now I feel like a real bodybuilder! :D

I read on a thread on here that by raising your heels when squatting (obviously with them supported by putting your heels on a weight or something) the emphasis is placed more on your quads than your glutes. This suits me as I'm quite happy with my butt as it is (
butbut.gif
) and find the movement far easier with a raised heel - I can't get down to parallel with my feet flat on the floor. Is there any reason not to do this?

Secondly, can the raised heel be used for deadlifts too? I think I'd find it much easier to get down comfortable to lift the weight this way and hopefully that will result in being able to use heavier loads. Curious as to whether there are any good reasons not to do this though.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers

Rob

many, many people have told me that squatting with raised heels can put excess pressure on the knee joint and cause wear and tear, possibly injury.
i do not think it is neccessary in the first place and you can adjust your form without it to emphasize the quads more if you wish.

I was just reading some stuff saying the same thing actually :-(

Does that mean I should just continue going to 10 or 20 degrees above parallel? Because that's as far as I can get down without moving my heels up! :mad:

Just use a wider stance; should help. make sure bar alignment as you go down is in the middle of your foot, slightly to the back. I have long legs so range is up there and have found a little trick. Standing in a squat cage, back up to rear rack, and use like a Smith machine making sure feet in good position as you slide down rack. This should help with perfect form. Hope this helps

robefc

I have always done my squats with a slight raise, just cannot do it nicely with feet flat on floor, my raise is very slight indeed.

I use a wooden board about 2 cm thick, works just fine.

Never had problems with my knees, I believe thiose are mostly caused when there is a bit of bounce which I avoid like the plague, I do my squats without pause at the top, and almost not lockout, just a touch and back down again.
tounge.gif

Going to parallel or above puts stress on your knees. Work on flexibility and sink all the way down, until your hams touch your calves. You should be able to do this with a shoulder-width stance, without your heels raises, in regular shoes. If not, invest in a pair of olympic lifting shoes. They simulate the raised heel and are very stable, and very worth it.

If you raise your heels without and support under them, like many inflexible people do when descending all the way, that can hurt your knees. Don't mix that up with having a form of support (i.e., 10 lb. plate or olympic lifting shoes) which can greatly assist your squat due to more stability and the ability to get full range of motion.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Just to make it clear I was proposing using a support...although weight lifting shoes are probably better than just putting weights on the floor as I was thinking of
tounge.gif

I think I'll try a wider stance and see how that feels...if I still have problems then I'll try using a supported raise...and for simplicity's sake I'll keep the deadlift as standard!

Cheers

Rob

Chtonian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If not, invest in a pair of olympic lifting shoes. They simulate the raised heel and are very stable, and very worth it.

We are in agreement then, that as long as we have a solid platform, then it is ok to have a slight raise!
tounge.gif
:confused:

Yes, so long as there is a stable surface, elevating the heels is well worth it, especially if you can't sink to the floor on your own.

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Squats.html

Here is an interesting article on squats put out by the ACSM.

Interesting is the note about:

The primary danger to the knee occurs when the tissues of the calf and thigh press together altering the center of rotation back to the contact area creating a dislocation effect. The danger of knee injury in this situation may be prevented if either of the following factor are present:

center of gravity of the body system is keep forward of the altered center of rotation
muscles of the thigh are strong enough to prevent the body from resting or bouncing on the calves.
Kreighbaum conclude the deep squat is of little danger to the knees unless these variables and factors are disregarded. Certainly only a limit type of athletes may have a sports specific need to perform a full squat. Olympic weightlifters commonly bounce out of a full front squat with near maximum resistances during both the Clean & Jerk and Snatch. Incidentally, the wide stance during an Olympic style squat further reduces knee torque forces.

Mike

Don`t know if this will help but I`m pretty tall and standard squats have always been difficult for me. It`s hard to keep good form and inevitably I would get knee pain when the weight started getting heavy. Since switching to front squats though, everything`s been great. It definately takes some getting used to but is so much more comfortable and although this may be due to using better form, I`ve noticed much better growth in my vastus medialis since starting these.

I do front squats also, heels elevated on a board about two inches thick. I simply cannot do a good flat-footed back squat. I guess some of us just have inherent leverage disadvantages in terms of the way we're put together.

Also, I have difficulty with deadlifts, though I can do the stiff-legged variety and have made nice gains with same.

Back