Leg Press

colby2152

I don't take the weight all the way down where my knees are only a few inches or less from my chest... I take it down to a foot away... is the extra ROM that much of a benefit that I should change my form and RM's for the next cycle, or could I get the same amount of hypertrophy with a "laxi-dazy" form, more weight, and the same progression that I currently do?

Thanks,
Colby

you will get more hypertrophy on your gluts and hams the lower you go. however, be careful as i sometimes get a painful/pulling sensation on my hamstring going real low on the heavier 10s. (i do 20s, 15s, and 10s for legs)

i still go low in the 20s and 15s, but i make sure to bring it down so low as the weight gets too heavey for my hams.

hope that helps!

Thanks buddy,

I like the idea of using the higher rep ranges for legs. I always feel more burn with the 10's and up, so I am going to try that next cycle. As far as the ROM goes... you answered my question.. more stretch I suppose? I'm going to retest my RM's for Leg Press and Squats in two weeks.

-Colby

n/p...from what i have read the optimum rep range for leg growth is about 20 reps. applying it to hst i usually do 20, 15, 10 reps. however, i may try 25, 20, 15 for my next cycle since i am cutting.

I quit doing leg press a while back. I read something about sheering force on the lower back at maximal rom. When my knees approach my chest my butt creeps away from the seat. It makes sense to me that once I start to press, now that weight gets transferred into that fulcrum first.

I know... not a lot of help if I can't dig up where I saw that, but it convinced me.

I am still getting the lower back pain, so it may be how I sleep (which is mostly on my side)
sad.gif

I did some leg presses today for the first time in a while (been doing squats) and, after some warm-ups, went as heavy as I could (520lbs) for 3 sets of 5 reps going as deep as the machine would allow. I too find that my butt creeps away from the seat at maximum compression but it doesn't feel dangerous to me at all. Perhaps it's because my poundages are relatively light? I do feel like I get a really good stretch though which surely has to elicit a hypertrophic response? On my final set I only made four reps but then I did another four negs using my hands on thighs to help raise the weight. Wow! That produced a really deep strain sensation in my legs. Hope I can walk tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Edited cos I hate sloppy spellin!

Back