HSN products

wsci

I am about to start first cycle and plan to use whey protien and Creatine. I have always been very skeptical of supps before but I figured I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

I'd like to support this site and use HSN products, but will not do so if there are better alternatives. So, my question is are the HSN driver and Creatine as good or better than competition? If not, what brands will work out better? If HSN is just as good, I'll go with it. Pros, cons of HSN products?

I realize I'm on the HSN forum but would like unbiased opinions from peoplel that use these products.
Thanks.

Unbiased? Do you think we're all paid to do ad campaigns for Bryan?
happy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ Jan. 20 2003,1:16)]Unbiased? Do you think we're all paid to do ad campaigns for Bryan?
happy.gif
No, but I do see a lot of loyalty to Brian on this site that may sway someone's opinion. I myself am leaning towards HSN products to support this site but getting good product is my #1 concern, as well it should be as a consumer.

I am in no way paid by HSN/HST or Bryan to give my opinions. Is this unbiased? Only as much as it can be. By training HST, using HSN products and following Bryan's advice and recomendations or the past year I have mad the best gains of my life.

Here it is as straight as I can give it to you. HSN products are produced with only the highest quality ingredients to ensure you get a high quality supplement that has been proven effective. Bryan will only produce supplements that have been shown to be effective and beneficial. My adivice is that if you are leaning towards HSN, then you really can't go wrong.

Steve

My take, without trying them.
In terms of protein products, as long as they are accurate to label values, they cannot be 'better' than others.

Lyle McDonalds review
Here

The only reason that I dont support Bryan with his products is that it is prohibitally expensive to purchase to New Zealand. And I work for the 7th largest dairy company in the world, so....

My take:

HSN Primer and Driver - Both of these products are great tasting and very easy to mix. The added F.O.S., however, may cause gastric distress in a small population of people. Unfortunately, I was one of them.

My advice is to buy the Primer and Driver from a reputable on-line source. I chose Netrition as they provided me with a good price AND are very good about product returns.

As for the HSN creatine, I haven't used it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (job561 @ Jan. 20 2003,6:28)]My take:
HSN Primer and Driver - Both of these products are great tasting and very easy to mix. The added F.O.S., however, may cause gastric distress in a small population of people. Unfortunately, I was one of them.
My advice is to buy the Primer and Driver from a reputable on-line source. I chose Netrition as they provided me with a good price AND are very good about product returns.
As for the HSN creatine, I haven't used it.
I know I'm not supposed to post on this thread, but I just wanted mention somethign about job561's experience.

Both Primer and Driver are designed to increase gut health (among other things). They contain both inulin, FOS and some probiotics.

About the gastric distress. That can be caused by the inulin. However, it will go away if you continue to take it. As your good gut flora increase, your ability to process the inulin (and other fibers) will increase. Just start with single servings, then if you want to increase it after a week or two you can without problem.

Dear wsci,

From personal experience, both Anabolic Primer and Driver are fantastic products. If you can get your hands on them, then by all means do so. In terms of quality and label claims, Anabolic P & D are tops.

In all fairness, there are other brands on the market (amongts the many rip-offs) that are also of high quality and honest label claims.

The caveat in using other brands would be that they have not been designed as an integrated product for the HST protocol. This is not necessarily a bad thing but let's just say that you wouldn't want to put a Mercedes engine into a Rolls Royce :)

On the market you have cheaper supplements and more expensive supplements - I'd prefer to pay more to get something that is definitely genuine than pay less and to doubt the actual contents of the supplement.

The worse would be to be scammed by some rip-off product then disparage any and all supplements. If I'm going to fork out good money for supplements, I'd be putting my money on products formulated by reputable people. And even so, I'd be worrying about supplements only after I've taken very good care of my diet.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

ps I have yet to try HSN Micronized Creatine but with my current creatine stock at half canister and with HSN Micronized Creatine on sale... it is indeed tempting.

Hi! Just started HSN's creatine a few weeks ago. The texture is wonderfully fine, nothing like the grainy stuff I took a few years ago. Mixed with OJ there is virtually NO aftertaste, so I imagine it would be quite tolerable in water if one needed to take it that way.

It appears to be working well to keep the volume up while I am tinkering with calories (anyone notice how difficult it is for me to even type the word "diet"
crazy.gif
).

I am confident enough in the purity and safety of this product to have purchased a second cannister for my soon-to-be 18 year old son. He enjoys the extra reps he can knock out and I like that I can offer a safe and effective alternative to some of the crap those high schoolers are messing around with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kate

HS:Friend

Group: Member
Posted: Jan. 21 2003,6:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi! Just started HSN's creatine a few weeks ago. The texture is wonderfully fine, nothing like the grainy stuff I took a few years ago. Mixed with OJ there is virtually NO aftertaste, so I imagine it would be quite tolerable in water if one needed to take it that way.
Is it not bad to mix creatine with OJ due to acidity of OJ breaking down creatine before it can be absorbed?

I use both Primer and Driver and recently bought HS:CRE. Good products and for some reason I trust Bryan, so I will continue to use HSN.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I can order my HSN products with confidence and I will do so today. They will get here to late for me to do a 'loading' phase with the creatine but loading during 15's doesn't sound like a bad idea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Jan. 22 2003,4:48)]Is it not bad to mix creatine with OJ due to acidity of OJ breaking down creatine before it can be absorbed?
Leaving it there for quite a while may affect it, but just mixing it and drinking it wont make much difference. Whats in your stomach? :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 21 2003,11:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Jan. 22 2003,4:48)]Is it not bad to mix creatine with OJ due to acidity of OJ breaking down creatine before it can be absorbed?
Leaving it there for quite a while may affect it, but just mixing it and drinking it wont make much difference. Whats in your stomach? :)
I believe the studies indicated that it was the citric acid that could destroy the potency of the creatine and cause stomach upset, therefore, any citrus drink should be avoided. Of course, acid in your stomach is different than that of an orange.

The acid is the stomach is much more powerful than any acid in the orange. Citric acid is also in every cell of your body, so if there was any specific interaction with creatine, it wouldnt work. (there is also no relevant research on pubmed that I can find with the simple "creatine citric acid" search). Are you sure it wasnt just supplement company ad copy?

If you want information on creatine, read this puppy

I've been having some gastric distress, too, and have suspected the casein. . . What's more likely as a culprit, whey or casein? Bear in mind that I'm known to have trouble with milk and raw cheeses, but I assumed it was a lactose issue. . .

I'm a big fan of Primer, and like Lyle, am disappointed by the difficulty getting Driver to dissolve.

The HS:Creatine ROCKS. I just broke into my stash after finishing off the old bottle of <other good brand>. Micronized will rule the world. I thought my old powder was smooth -- the HS:Creatine gets completely lost in the drink; no grit at all for me. I haven't tried taking teaspoons of it directly into my mouth yet (used to do that with the old stuff; spoon and then drink. It was more convenient than pouring three extra glasses of water to get the leftover creatine out of the bottom of the glass.)

Good link Aaron.
You are right, I cannot find any specific studies concerning creatine and citric acid. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. If I do find anything, i'll post it. The articles I have read just say don't do it cause citric acid neutralizes creatine and converts it into creatinine much quicker. I'll stick to mixing my HS:CRE with warm water for now.

Food for thought concerning creatine with citric acid. I asked a friend of mine who teaches nutrition and exercise science classes at the university about it and he said something that should have been obvious to me: when you mix OJ with creatine and drink it right away, the OJ does not magically disappear, it sits in your stomach with the creatine rendering most of the creatine useless. He said what I have been doing, mix it with warm water and he actually said take it pre-workout. I have to give him credit, most nutritionist are not up tp date on when and how to take creatine, but he has done some homework.

Can we get an ingredient list of the primer/driver? I don't see one on the site anywhere. I'd like to check that out before I buy it.

Nick

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ngorevic @ Jan. 28 2003,3:42)]Can we get an ingredient list of the primer/driver? I don't see one on the site anywhere. I'd like to check that out before I buy it.
Nick
See that button which says 'Supplement Facts' in the products page? When you click it, this pops up:

supp_popup.gif

;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIZ @ Jan. 25 2003,3:46)], the OJ does not magically disappear, it sits in your stomach with the creatine rendering most of the creatine useless.
ask him for a reference, because its mostly rubbish

Back