Necessary supplements

leanlifter

So what are some supplements that you absolutely can't live without? I'd like to hear some of the stuff that people have used and liked enough to keep using all the time.

And it can't be
1. Whey or Casein Protein
2. Creatine
3. Vitamins & Minerals
4. healthy Fats

It has to be something out of the ordinary, like a NO2 product or HMB.
I can't live without EAA's (Essential Amino Acid Powder + Taurine) from Bulknutrition.com
Preworkout it seems to give a boost of energy and strength.

I've tried 6-oxo with good results, but didn't like what happened when I cycled off so I quit taking it. Then there were plenty of other products that didn't do a darn thing.

So what about y'all?

HMB did absolutely nothing for me.

Whey with extra glutamine made a noticable improvement in how sore I felt, but looking back @ that stuff from 3 years ago I'm not sure it wasn't the extra protein/caloric intake as opposed to glutamine. I know I feel more sore if I'm underfed.

Glucosamine - love it.

BCAAs - see HMB.

It's a key component of cartliage. Been using it since 6-9months after I started lifting...4 years on it now, give or take. It's sold in shops (same way fish oil is sold) for regenerative/preventative joint deterioration in arthritis, but is also highly recommended for weightlifters. Google it :)

I've never had sore joints from working out since taking it...as in, not after 10 neg reps @ 120%, not after crazy burn sets or the old 30 set per body part days. Might not be due to the glucosamine, but I suspect that it plays a large part.

With the obvious out the window, here's what I'd call necessary, but only under certain circumstances.

Jester's right on glocosamine. Works wonders for a lot of people. Does nothing for some. In the same vein Celedrin is also getting a similar reputation for being a miracles worker for joints. Once my next paycheck arrives I'm getting a glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin product and adding bulk celedrin. Results are fantastic from what I hear.

BCAAs if you are maxing out a lot and not doing some kind periodization like HST. If you're going balls to the wall all the time, BCAAs can probably help.

I'm also loving nootropics lately, various kinds. Great for focus, add a stimulant and you've got a great combo for preworkout.

I'll give Glucosamine a shot. Last cycle during the late 5's and negs I was really starting to get the aches especially in my shoulders and elbows.

I don't seem to get results from Glucosamine unless I take at least 5 grams a day. Paired with enough fish oil or whatever and it seems to work well for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Oct. 24 2005,8:48)]I don't seem to get results from Glucosamine unless I take at least 5 grams a day.  Paired with enough fish oil or whatever and it seems to work well for me.
Give Celedrin and Cissus RX a try. Lot's of people reporting positive results with those, Celedrn for joints and Cissus for connective tissue issues, like tendonitus.

You could try l-glutamine
thumbs-up.gif

Vinegar. While I won`t say I can`t live without it, whenever I use it I see positive results. The tough part is taking it for extended periods of time. Cider vinegar just gets to be too much after a while(don`t even talk to me about white vinegar). The longest stretch I`ve gone with it was 6 weeks. Nevertheless, even with the gnarly taste, I do keep going back to it. Darn cheap too.

I've been putting a little vinegar in my first drink of the morning but I can't say I notice much from it. How do you take it and when?
What exactly do you notice it doing for you?

Do a search for the vinegar topic....or goback and look at the last few pages in this forum...

Fish oil caps are great, I have ulcerative colitis so I take about 10-12 of these a day anyway.

I tried out some of Amway's energy drinks (caffeine and taurine basically) from a friend a month or so back, used them for 2 weeks...they seem to make you more alert and 'energetic/active' but didn't translate into a tangible difference in workouts.

I like Taurine. It seems to work well when paired with creatine. In fact, that's about the only time that creatine really seems to do much for me.

For me, it's Vitalzym.... decreases my recovery time from training along with other benefits... great for allergies... digestion.. etc. It's a little pricey but I wouldn't go without it.

Staxx

I take milk thistle capsules to maintain healthy liver function.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Nov. 14 2005,10:05)]Totentanz: What dosage of Taurine? Taken with creatine?
I don't know what the normal dosage is, but I just used it with creatine in equal amounts so ~5 grams a day or so. I don't normally respond to creatine very well, but when I do this, I get pretty good results from it.

Back