Creatine and muscle cramps

FrankG

A couple of years ago when I used creatine I had muscle cramps. I also suffered a slight tear in my left quad while squatting in a smith machine (which I don't use anymore)and a fairly bad tear in my left chest while doing flat dumbbell presses. I wasn't even pushing myself that hard when these injuries occurred, and had never had a weightlifing injury before. Since then I've been reluctant to use creatine again. Do you think that was just a case of being dehydrated from not increasing my water intake enough? Has anyone else had a similar experience using creatine?

Thanks for the reply Bryan. I can't help but think creatine played a part in it because the only time I have ever experienced muscle cramps, and injuries, was while I was taking creatine. I've never had muscle cramps when not using creatine. No one else has experienced cramping while using creatine? I'd like to use creatine again if I could.
Bryan, have any of the people you've trained had this problem with creatine?

PS I'm relatively new to this site and it is the best I've found for training and nutritional info. I just moved and will start HSTing as soon as I'm settled.

The football team at the college I went to was told not to touch creatine because of cramps. I have heard that people have had this problem. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) I have never experienced this so I cannot give you any advice except that on creatine, you need to drink water like a fish. Also if you are cramping a lot, try uppin' your potassium intake. Eat bananas.

Hope this helps.

Back