2 Months of Milk!

• Thread starter imported_davisbm
  • Start date
I

imported_davisbm

Hi everyone, I've been reading everyone else's posts and following HST principles since 2005, but I never did my part and posted any pictures.  I'm about to start my second bulk ever, and these will be my "Before" pictures.  I'm 27, 5'10", and currently about 175lb.

I'm pretty excited to start this next bulk.  Anyone here done the gallon of milk a day thing?  I've looked around the internet and found only a handful of people reporting their experiences, and while it seemed those who did had mostly positive results, most people didn't do a good job of documenting their experiences.  Ordinarily, I'd say it's quite a gimmicky thing to do, and that it would simply make you fat, but there are just enough interesting things about full fat milk that make me willing to give it a try.

Such as...

I'm doing a lot of paraphrasing here to be sure, but this article basically says that whey is good to stimulate muscle growth, and that casein is good at preventing muscle breakdown.  You want both, but it also finds that if you had to consume either, you'd get the best net effect from casein.  Milk has both, 80% casein, 20% whey.
http://www.pnas.org/content/94/26/14930.full

This article finds that saturated fat, and fat in general is correlated with higher testosterone levels.  Milk has plenty of that.
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49

This article says whole milk worked better than fat free milk to stimulate muscle protein synthesis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16679981

So who knows.  Maybe it'll work, or maybe I'll just get fat.  If I get fat, it's only temporary.  Either way I'm pretty sure I'm going to get much stronger, and finally blow past that elusive 5 reps of 225 on the bench (though I honestly expect to get way more, cause i've gotten close before) and I'm going to document it all the best I can.

In the past, I bulked up to a fat-ish 198lbs and I was able to lift 225 3 times on the bench, so that'll be my reference point.  This was all using vanilla HST.

That was over a year ago, after which I didn't have access to a gym.  For the past year I've slimmed down a bit and been doing bodyweight pullups, overhead press, shrugs, and as many pushups as I can manage (101 is my best.)  I finally broke down however, and bought a nice used olympic bench.  It's great, because there are only so many ways you can do pushups!

I know I'll get stronger my first few weeks back on the bench no matter what I do just due to that neural strength coming back, so I'm not too worried about drinking an entire gallon right away just yet (though I come darn close anyway!  I like milk for milk's sake.)  After my strength gains taper off, THAT'S when I'll start labeling my gallon jugs with each day's date in Sharpie marker to make sure I'm drinking the right amount
smile.gif

As for my lifting routine, it won't be a true vanilla HST workout, but it uses HST principles.  First day with my new bench, I threw a 45 on each side and found I could do 13 reps, then 11 reps.  The days will go like this..

Day 1 = bench  13 reps, 11 reps @135
Day 2 = cardio
Day 3 = pushups  As many as I can, 2 sets
Day 4 = cardio
Day 5 = bench  13 reps, 11 reps @140
Day 6 = cardio
Day 7 = pushups  As many as I can, 2 sets
Day 8 = cardio
Day 9 = bench  13 reps, 11 reps @145
and so on.

When I reach a point where I can't do 13 reps of the new weight for the bench, I'll just start aiming for 12 or however many reps I can do, from that point on, and two less for the 2nd set, adding a third set when the reps get down around 10 or 9.  This cycle will be done until I get down to only being able to do 5-6 reps of the first set.  About 2 and a half months.

Of course, I'll still be doing my other 3 lifts (shrugs, pullups/bent over rows, overhead press) as well, but a combination of factors (spending time futzing around with poundages in Excel seems like a waste of time when I'm looking for a job + I do not have the same of variety of weights for the other exercises + For as much as I believe everything negative people say about the bench being overrated and all, I'll admit it I'm still a sucker for it, it's my favorite lift by far!) mean that I'll only be employing HST principles for the bench.  So without further ado, here are three pics of me.  They are after a workout of course!  I imagine that has to be what most people do.  Who would take pictures to post after they're all tired and flattened out after a long cardio run?

beforemilk1.jpg

beforemilk2.jpg

beforemilk3.jpg

P.S.  It's funny.  I take a dozen or so pictures to post here and I'm making a normal looking face in 3, maybe 4 of em!

Any particular reason you aren't doing any leg work? Just wondering.

If you don't want to mess around in excel, there are plenty of people here who have spreadsheets already. I have several where you just plug in what weight you can lift and for how many reps and it sets up your whole cycle.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Oct. 09 2009,4:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Any particular reason you aren't doing any leg work?  Just wondering.

If you don't want to mess around in excel, there are plenty of people here who have spreadsheets already.  I have several where you just plug in what weight you can lift and for how many reps and it sets up your whole cycle.</div>

Thanks Totentanz that's a good question.  I had to stop and think about it, most of my lifting is on a sort of mental &quot;autopilot&quot; now.  The answer however is that my legs are as big as I want them to be.  Four years of serious cross-country (complete with squats, plyometrics, wall sits, sprints, etc.) training in high school left me out of proportion.

I run 4 miles every other day, and I find that it is enough to trigger that &quot;muscle memory&quot; which keeps my legs relatively huge.  I'm not saying I won't do squats when I am at a gym, it's just that I'm not gonna go out and buy a squat rack for when I am not.

Now if I could just get the rest of the body to work like my legs I'd be in business!

I know what you mean. I've actually got stretch marks all over my thighs because of how my legs are. However, if I were you, I'd at least do deadlifts once a week. They don't hit your legs too hard but are very good for overall back development. If you want good thickness in your back, you pretty much have to add them in. Best thing is you don't need any equipment for deads. Just a bar and some weights.

All the best with your 'milk' bulk. Never did a gallon a day myself, but got close; maybe four to six pints of full-fat a day for just over a year. I gained around 50lb of bodyweight in that time. Added a bit too much fat for my liking but I got a lot stronger (for me). You should make your goals without too much difficulty but make sure you have a good selection of other foods in your diet too.

I'd do deads once a week too. I just feel that the benefits far outweigh any possible 'risk' of enlarging your thighs.
smile.gif

I'm always jealous of folks who have great wheels. Mine are naturally scrawny with a nice layer of fat. I'll never get them to be as well developed as I would like. 10 reps with 400lb for squats might see them getting close but that's a long, long way off.

I did the gallon/day thing for a while, but it's hard to do. Now is the time while the prices are down. I got fatter/bigger/stronger as I recall.
You should squat when you can for mass. That separates the men from the squirrels. They also carry over strengths to the deadlift.

Thanks for the suggestions Tot, Lol, and Quadancer. I'm gonna incorporate deadlifts afterall. I can do once a week.

It's time for an update however, considering this is in the training logs section!

I'm progressing as well as I could hope. I started at 13, 11 reps @ 135lb on the bench and as planned, I've been increasing 5lb every 4th day and it has been no problem so far. Today was 150lbs, and I felt like I could have done 14 reps. Things are looking good, and I haven't even commited to the full gallon yet
smile.gif

I am/was prepared to lower the reps as necessary on my way to 225, but the way things are going, I'm starting to think maybe I won't have to. 13 reps all the way!! Haha, wishful thinking possibly, but right now I'm psyched! Either way I'll be posting. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Today's bench was 155lbs, and it was another perfect 13 and 11 reps. Things are going great, I feel like I could have done 14 reps again today, so I bet I'll be able to go up again another 4 days from now. I haven't had to commit to a full gallon of milk yet either, still drinking 1/2 to 3/4 per day. Have a good weekend everyone!

Another day of bench, another day of successfully going up 5lbs. I did 13 and 11 reps at 160lbs today. I'm real happy I did it, but I didn't feel SO good that I knew without a doubt I could have done an extra rep. Could be because my eating and sleep was far from perfect the last few days. That won't happen the next four days, I'll be doing everything I can to make sure I go up again and hit those 13 reps.

Today is an interesting benchmark of sorts because according to One-Rep-Max calculators (if you trust those things) I'm as strong as I've ever been, and 20lbs lighter than I was at the time. If I get ANY stronger from here on out I will be crushing my old PR of 3x225
smile.gif

I'm a believer. Went up another 5lb today to 165lbs, and I was again able to do 13, and 11 reps. It wasn't super easy, but last time wasn't either, so maybe this is just how it's going to go. It's worth noting that I didn't psych myself up that much this time beforehand either. Going by the 1rm calculator, I'm now 10lbs stronger than I've ever been and I'm still 15-20lbs lighter than I was at my previous strongest. I'm certain it's the milk because I've always been pretty slow at getting stronger. Starting today I'm going full-gallon on the milk. I want to ride this progress as far as it'll take me
smile.gif

Nooooooooooooooo! Oct. 29th, Four days after my last post I tried 13 reps at 170 and I was one short!  I was too down to post about it, so I waited another four days till Nov. 2nd and tried again.  I STILL I couldn't get that last rep (again, I didn't hit my goal, so I didn't feel like posting after that.)  My plan was to just lower the reps and keep going up in weight when this inevitably happened, but I was so close each time I just knew I could do it if I focused a little harder.  So...  seeing as how I am posting again you can probably guess that I finally hit 13, and 11 reps at 170.  I can't say for sure how many I will or won't do four days from now, but at least I'll be doing it 5lbs heavier.

FWIW, I really like the idea of the training logs.  I've never done a log online before, I feel much more accountable this way
smile.gif

13, 10 @ 175. (I'm counting that 10 as an 11 and moving up again next time, I didn't wait as long as I usually do between sets. Won't make that mistake again.) I'm doing 40 more lbs than I did 40 days ago, and my predicted 1rm is 25lbs more than it was at my last high point. I've been reading up on how important focus is when lifting, so today I played Europe's &quot;Final Countdown&quot; during the workout. It might be cheesy, but it worked!

Keep the log accurate and folks can help you work things out. We all have good and bad periods, but if someone lets ego get in the way, it hides problems.
As for the milk progress, you may find this interesting from Coach Hale's archives:
http://maxcondition.com/page.php?147
This came from a discussion on fats lending to testosterone production.

Back