30 rep / wo

I am doing that exact amount, being on 15's it is early days, might be complaining by the time I get to 5's, but am willing to see.

Will keep all posted!
biggrin.gif

Long ago I realized that 30 is the least common multiple of 5, 10, and 15, and seems it should be like a magic number for HST (I'm a math teacher
biggrin.gif
). However -- at least for me -- 30 reps per workout would take forever, especially in the 5s. I sometimes will do 2x15 in the early 15s phase, but I stick to 2x10 and 3x5.

Now, if I were only doing 5 or 6 exercises per workout, I might try the 30 rep target.

<div>
(etothepii @ Sep. 07 2006,13:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now, if I were only doing 5 or 6 exercises per workout, I might try the 30 rep target.</div>
That's exactly what I am doing. However, I still find that to get it done in an hour is a hard task during 5s. Also, I just can't do 6 sets of my 5RM for any exercise so I have to cluster and that can take ages too. I have settled on 20 reps as a good number (after my experiments with Max-Stim). During 15s I will now do about 1 and a half sets but at least 20 reps; 10s will be 2 sets; 5s will be four sets or 2 plus a heavy (close to 10RM) set of 10 to make up the 20 reps.

I think this is more practical for three times a week. By all means try 30 reps but if you feel that the volume is too much drop it back until you feel you can manage. At 30 reps I started to dread going to the gym, esp. on deadlift days.
wow.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now, if I were only doing 5 or 6 exercises per workout, I might try the 30 rep target. </div>

Right you are, that is exactly what i am doing! In fact 4 some days others 5, so I will survive I am sure!
biggrin.gif

I like to keep my reps at 15 for the 15's and 5's and 20 for the 10's. I prefer short, intense workouts. Therefore I employ drop sets to complete my total reps for the 10's and 5's. Some people prefer longer rest periods but I am a Type A, &quot;git r done&quot; person. It's my natural flow, for better or for worse.

i tried this myself but as people have said 6 sets of 5s is hard.
so what i did was to do 4sets of 5s and on the last set do a metabolic set of 10 reps..making 30 reps totall...give 6 sets a go and see how you feel
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I pretty much did that in my first cycle, and other than incurring some shoulder problems (too many sets per week I guess), I got some pretty good results, actually, I felt my results were very good. The higher reps, I believe, helped me lean out a bit while building size. (I was coming back after a long layoff, Muscle Memory is your friend).

The disadvantage was that it started taking me a long time to complete workouts. I supersetted alot, which was great for my cardio fitness honestly, but it was just a bit much. I think I'd still give it a shot, but with only a very basic core exercize program. I did this with everything + arm iso's.. Boy did I get winded..

<div>
(style @ Sep. 07 2006,19:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Im getting great results right now from a 20 rep cycle invented by a certain Mr Moore  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yeah, 20 seems like a good number for me too.

<div>
(Lol @ Sep. 07 2006,17:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(style @ Sep. 07 2006,19:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Im getting great results right now from a 20 rep cycle invented by a certain Mr Moore  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yeah, 20 seems like a good number for me too.</div>
Agreed, I like your &quot;1 and a half sets&quot; during the fifteens lol you slacker heheh

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Sep. 07 2006,23:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Agreed, I like your &quot;1 and a half sets&quot; during the fifteens lol you slacker heheh</div>
Aha! But it's an extra half!
biggrin.gif

A wise man once said, 'The harder I work, the luckier I get'&quot;

So what everyone is saying then is to keep volume and frequency exactly the same over the course of the 6-8 week cycle, and steadily increase load? I would have thought the slight drop in volume, from 30(2x15) to 20(2x10) to 15(3x5), would still be ok?

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Sep. 08 2006,04:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So what everyone is saying then is to keep volume and frequency exactly the same over the course of the 6-8 week cycle, and steadily increase load? I would have thought the slight drop in volume, from 30(2x15) to 20(2x10) to 15(3x5), would still be ok?</div>
it is ok...its just as you get more conditioned you might need more sets.

I generally stick with 15-20 reps per exercise (not counting in metabolic work such as drop sets and high-rep sets). I feel 30 reps would be too much during the 5's and post-5's. Fausto, keep us informed on how it goes as you progress through your cycle.

Back