6 day routine - trying to set one up

champs

I am thinking about doing a cycle of HST in a few weeks. Will be beginning with a 9-10 day SD. AM/PM training isn't really consistantly possible for me however 6 once a day sessions are. I've been training for a couple of years and have quite a high tolerance for volume, currently working with a upper/lower 6 day split volume is around 90-100 sets per week. Looking to bulk on this HST cycle. Is it better to do 6 full body workouts a week or split into upper lower x 3 each? I've layed out some exercises below shooting for around 15 sets a day, I am worried squats and deads alternated day after day might cause some problems however. Any suggestions on exercise selection/volume, anything regarding a split like this?

Should I be upping the sets once I hit the 5's? or just adding a set of 15's to keep metabolic work up? How heavy should this set of 15's be? mid cycle weight? or 15RM?

Routine A
Dips 2
Suppinated Chinups (shoulder width grip) 2
Military Press 2
Deadlifts 2
Front Squats 2
Lying Rear Laterals
Standing Calf Raise
EZ Curls
Skull crushers
Crunch

Routine B
Incline DB Bench 2
Bent over suppinated Rows (Shoulder width grip) 2
Upright Rows 2
Squats 2
Lying Leg Curls 2
Seated Rear Laterals
Seated Calf Raise
Incline DB Curls
Tricep rope extension
Crunch

From what I've been able to glean from forum searches I have put together the following.

Routine performed A/B alternating 6 days a week (eg each routine is done 3x per week)

A) Dips B) Incline DB Press x 2
A) Chins B) Rows x 2
A) Front Squats B) Deadlifts x 2
A) Leg Curls B) Seated Leg Curls x 2
A) Military Press B) Upright Row x 2
A) Rear DB Laterals B) Lying DB Laterals
A) Shrugs
A) Incline DB Curls B) Cable Curls
A) Skull Crushers B) Rope Pulldowns
A) Standing Calf Raise B) Seated Calf Raise
A) Crunches

- Incrementing each workout except for crunches/shrugs which are repeated twice

- Set of 1x15 reps (3/6 increment weight) during the 5's and negs for compounds done after
each compound movement (for metabolic work).

Total sets will be around 16 per day. Whats the deal with clustering reps for exercises you can't do negs on and drop sets during the 5's and/or negs? Any advice appreciated? I am thinking I may need to drop some exercises to lower the volume a bit, any opinions where I should cut?

Welcome to the HST board Champs!

Looks like a decent routine to me. To cut voulume back a bit, I would cut hams back to 1 set, get rid of the upright row (too much potential for shoulder damage) and do 1 set only of military presses each day. The remaining sets should be OK for each day. I usually keep my total sets per week at or below 60. Younger people and those using assistance, can certainly go higher. For instance, my current routine of working out each bodypart twice per day, 5 days per week consists of only 40 total sets as follows:

AM:
Incline BP
Chin ups
Squats
Military Press

PM:
Weighted Dips
Seated Row (not cable but using a machine)
Leg Press
Shrugs

I don't usually counts abs in my routine as I do a separate trunk routine twice a week.

With that much frequency, I don't feel the need to exercise my triceps or biceps individually.

We use negs and/or drops to extend the 5's another week or 2 after we complete 2 weeks working up to our 5 rep max.

Many people use a cluster techniques throughout all their rep ranges. They set a target number of reps, say 20 or 30, and do as many sets as needed to hit the target reps without ever going to failure. Personally, on the rare occassion that I may do a multiple set of the same exercise, I will set my RM based on my first set and crank out as many reps as I can on my second set and stop short of failure and move on to the next exercise. Clusterers do another set of however many reps are needed to complete their target. I find this too taxing for me personally in conjuntion with the high frequency dictated by HST.

Hope this helps out a bit.

:)

Back