6x frequency report

Jester

Hey, thought I'd write this for anyone who's interested, just a midway (well, it's kinda late, finished 1st week of 5s) report.

This is the routine I started with:
Deadlift (A), Leg Press (B) - 2
Incline Press (A), Bench Press (B) - 2
Lat Pulldown (A), Bent Over Rows (B) - 2
Leg extn
Leg curl
DB Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Lat Raise
Rear Raise
Calf raise, done on leg press (the one where your leg points upwards on an angle - 3
EZ Bar
C.Grip Press

15s

The 15s weren't as hard as my first cycle of 15s, and something I've noticed is that it's the 2nd set of an exercise that makes 15s feel like cardio. Something I've learned from the 15s is not to use the lat and rear raises in this phase, as you just run out of increments in the 10s and practially can't increment more than once for the 5s. The rear delts get a great hit from rows and pulldowns to the neck/c.grip anyhow.

I alternated DB presses with c.grip upright rows, just for the sake of boredom. Didn't do this beyond the 15s.

Used loaded stretches from the get-go on calves, and they responded, I started seeing results for these (and in general) from about my 9th workout onwards.

I was able to achieve linear progression for just about all exercises into the tens this cycle.

10s

Exercises that were changed:

Lat raises - dropped. Due to lack of increments I started using body-language in this exercise to further increase the load, and that didn't agree with me (just didn't feel right), and in general I'm not sold on this exercise anymore. I think the lat delt is hit in a press just fine for me.

DB press - became a Sm. Machine Press, b/c it allows me to get better have linear progression and no zig-zagging in my 15s->10s, 10s->5s. Also, I find the extra stretch down low and the groove of motion is working better for me. Finally I can use higher loads, and there's pretty much zero impact of the rotator cuff.

Bench press - became Dips. I'm strong enough to use them thru the 10s now, without the assist platform. They hits the pecs better than a standard BP.

I made some aggressive increments with the compound upper body exercises, and these have paid off I think, my upper back and lat are as big as they've ever been. However, the best results from aggressive increments came on my biceps. I pushed the EZ bar curls up a bit, and managed to get a PB with 62.5kgs for 10reps, cheating on the last 2-3 concentric. The aggressive increments produce results I reckon, but not at the expense of form.

Thrown in heavy barbell wrist curls, behind the back, as well as reverse(palm up) wrist curls with a BB. Using a weight I can complete 12-15 reps with. The philosophy I'm trying is dkm's of effecting a constant load (work them as often as possible, don't worry so much about RBE, bit like calves), and they're growing so far, the inner (flexor?) muscles esp.

5s so far

Incline Press became Incline Flies, ~ 30%

EZ bar became Incline curls alt. with Incline Hammers

C.Grip Press became Skullcrushers

Using drop sets for chest, back, shoulder, bis, tris. Repping out to 12 reps (15 will make me faint I think
tounge.gif
).

Still doing rear raises, but it's effectively working @ my 5RM for 4 weeks instead of 2, so I'm alternating with a few other rear delt exercises, just experimenting a bit for the next cycle.

Overall here's what I've noticed the most:

- My joints are absolutely fine with 6 days a week. I take about 300g of fish, sometimes up to 700g, per day, and standard glucosamine. Also taking in plenty of olive oil and natural peanut butter (I'm a lil hazy on how EFAs/which ones are helpful for joints...so just listing it :p)
- I'm getting cut up around the abs a bit, losing a lil bit of puppy fat, but also seeing gains in muscle..can this happen?
- My back and calves response the best to 6 days a week, not exactly sure why, but they're def. showing the most gains.
- I don't think I'm eating quite enough - as I said, getting a lil bit cut. Think I might up the carbs and protein by ~ 15gms/day each.
- I know I'm sub-maximal in terms of glycogen. This doesn't seem to affect my workouts, but I'm fairly sure that I'm not as big (full) as I will be come the middle of SD. And even with this, the arms are beyond 15inches cold :d

So yeh......that's my midpoint review.......qu's anyone?
tounge.gif

do you do 3 sets in 5s?
how long do you work-out?
my workout has only 4 exercises and takes me about an hour to finish when i'm in my 5s
butbut.gif
and extremely exhausted afterwards

Nope, 2 sets in the 5s......I increase the time spent on each rep however(perform a little bit more slowly on the eccentric part - don't like fast drops), so I don't think the TUT/TUL will be drastically different. I'm not a 3rd set in the 5s would accomplish more than a dropset - might try this next cycle.

The workout takes me about 50mins now. The 15s took about 40-45mins.

4 exercises takes an hour??

The thing is that most of these can done in superset/quick fashion. Leg extn and leg curl, shrugs and heavy barbell curl (same bar, remove a plat on each end), bis and tris.....and because there's only one set for most, you don't need a rest period per se. It's just like an assembely line of exercises.

i agree that 15s will just be a breeze (especially with 4 exercises haha)

in the 5s i do 3 sets with a dropset in the end. maybe it's the rest and the sight-seeing of girls around the gym takes most of my time. i don't like to do a set when i'm still panting and heavily sweating because i don't feel i got enough energy to do the next set

i also do eccentric slowly and i read somewhere in this forum that it causes more hypertrophy than concentric reps (unless i completely misunderstood it)

good for you you don't find 6x a week 5s tough on your joints.i was doing inclined curls later this day and i felt wrist pains (again). and felt a little squeeze in my wrist when doing negatives on dumbell presses. no gym for me tom. my joints and tendons are such weaklings.

the reason why i only have 4 exercises is that i felt my back was overtaking my arms. so i stopped back exercises this cycle and concentrated on the arms more.

were you doing 12 exercises ever since? how many calories do you eat for bulking and maintaining?

don't forget to report your gains after this cycle
thumbs-up.gif

Back